Dodge Challenger Forum banner
  • Hey everyone! Enter your ride HERE to be a part of September's Ride of the Month Challenge!
1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
59 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
So I have a check engine light that popped up saying I was a little short on coolant, so u added some and it went away by itself by it shows up under “permanent codes”. I now have a check light again, different code, and it is showing up under “stored/pending codes” what’s the difference? Should I be worried about a code being under permanent ??

pending/stored code: p2097
Permanent code: p0128

·
Premium Member
2021 JEEP Wrangler Unlimited Willys 4X4
2,183 Posts
Never heard of a CEL being displayed due to a low coolant condition.

Why not post the codes you’re talking about?

·
Registered
2,447 Posts
GSBrockman is right. There is no trouble code for low coolant, at least not in Challengers.

Permanent fault codes are ones that can't be cleared so easily by a code reader or battery disconnect. The computer has to detect enough good trips with the problem repaired and it clears on it's own. This is done to prevent people from trying to hide things during a sale or inspection. This is generally only an issue if you live somewhere with emissions testing.

Stored and [pending are not the same thing. Stored means it happened at least ones and it is saved for future reference (will come back if problem is still there). Pending means the computer has detected a problem at least once but not enough times yet to be sure/

Active means the problem is presently being detected and monitored.

·
Registered
2011 SXT Built in the Canada Plant
2,324 Posts
Some codes can only be cleared out of both BCM and PCM with an Advanced ODBII Tool generics dont always clear them...

·
Registered
2016 Challenger R/T Scat Pack Pitch Black A8
894 Posts
P0128 is coolant temperature below thermostat regulating temperature. Coolant is not reaching the normal parameters within the specified time. Typically this can be a thermostat stuck open, low coolant, bad temp sensor, temp sensor wiring harness problem, or temp sensor connection loose. The OP also posted several days ago he thought he had a coolant leak. If the code is still showing up as a permanent code then either the problem causing the code hasn't been repaired or there hasn't been enough drive cycles for the computer to clear it.

·
Registered
59 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 · (Edited by Moderator)
P0128 is coolant temperature below thermostat regulating temperature. Coolant is not reaching the normal parameters within the specified time. Typically this can be a thermostat stuck open, low coolant, bad temp sensor, temp sensor wiring harness problem, or temp sensor connection loose. The OP also posted several days ago he thought he had a coolant leak. If the code is still showing up as a permanent code then either the problem causing the code hasn't been repaired or there hasn't been enough drive cycles for the computer to clear it.
I did notice coolant stains on the engine splash shield under the car...just need to find the leak

·
Registered
2011 SXT Built in the Canada Plant
2,324 Posts
I think many forget like the OIL you have to use a Recommended Spec Antifreze generic crap wont cut the cake and it will over heat, Replace with a new Factory Temp Spec Theromostat Dorman Duralast or OEM same part, Replace Temp Sensor, and Fresh Antifreeze, you will need to also use a advenced ODBII not a Cheap one that will Clear the Codes of both the PCM / BCM ... Had to do that to my SXT fortunatly Thermostat was Stuck Open, and Temp Sensor was on its way out. Changed Cleared and all is well.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts