Dodge Challenger Forum banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
16 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Man what a bummer just got my 2010 challenger with only 23 miles on it
drove it for 2 weeks and check engine light comes on. went to dealer and they said was thermostat car was not heating up fast enough so computer threw a code part backorderd my brand new car bummer any sugg.?

·
Premium Member
3,546 Posts
I don't know about these newer cars but I would think you could still drive it with an open thermistat. I don't know were your from but unless your still useing the pony express I wouldn't think it sould take to long for the dealer to get one in.
Did they give you a loaner?

·
Registered
2,412 Posts
....any sugg.?
....punctuation.

Personally, I would just let the dealer repair it under warranty just in case this isn't or doesn't solve the problem.

·
Registered
2009 R/T
1,371 Posts
....punctuation.

Personally, I would just let the dealer repair it under warranty just in case this isn't or doesn't solve the problem.
Agreed. Don't FU(K with it.

·
Registered
16 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Yep i think ill wait for the dealer. Still breaks my heart

·
Registered
2,412 Posts
Yep i think ill wait for the dealer. Still breaks my heart
....at least you've got an actual code they can pull from the CEL and a place to start. I currently have several intermittent "gremlins" and no clue as to the source/problem. ....only 7k on the odo.

·
Banned
675 Posts
drove it for 2 weeks and check engine light comes on. went to dealer and they said was thermostat car was not heating up fast enough so computer threw a code part backorderd my brand new car bummer any sugg.?
You will need a new angle sensor, the dealership replaced my thermostat 4 times before they figured it out. They must of bumped it when they rebuilt my head.

·
Registered
3 Posts

Did you ever get a resolution on this?? I'm having the same problem with a Challenger SE. "Check engine" light at 380 miles, with thermostat stuck open. Replaced thermostat at 1200 miles (they had to order the part and I drive A LOT). The check engine light came back on two days after replacement, and it was showing errors for thermostat sensor... It was replaced, then the next morning the check engine light came on AGAIN while the service manager was taking it on a test drive before returning it to me and the new thermostat they had just replaced four days prior was throwing error codes for being stuck open (again). I just picked it back up today, and on the way home the temp guage dropped down to 2 lines above the "C" and stayed there. No check engine light yet, but it's not looking promising...

·
Registered
14 Posts
Will let you know on the angle sensor...4K miles on 2010 R/T. Check engine light just started coming on. Thermostat replaced, lasted 2 days. Took it back to dealer and they had to flush system to get air out of it?. Light back on..going in Friday. Anybody know what the angle sensor is or what it does?

·
Registered
14 Posts
Check Engine Light - 2010 Challenger R/T

3rd time I took R/T back. This time they re-programmed the PCM re: the tire size on the R/T (20" rims) was not programmed. Check engline light back on in 1-2 days. Printed all the info from other threads and gave to dealer to sue on Thursday. I think the threads have determined the source/cause of the problem. Does anybody know what the "fix" is going to be to resolve the issue. thanx

·
Registered
3 Posts
CEL / Thermostat

If your CEL is related to your thermostat, it may be the same issue my Challenger was having. Apparently, there is some obsure Chrysler notice about it.

Basically, in some Challengers the thermostat will open as part of the warm up process (like it's supposed to) but then will "hang" against the housing leaving it stuck open. This causes the CEL, plus the ETC light to trip in some cases, and potentially other issues since the computer depends on prop operating temp which is never reached with the thermostat wide open.

Anyway, took a little work to make them figure this out because the low level techs that get these initially will just "read a code, change a part, read a code, check another part..." and on, and on, and on. :)

Mine was finally fixed after three thermostats, and one thermostat sensor and that was now about 6,200 miles ago. Been running like a champ since then.

1. Call either your dealer (or another if you've lost faith) and ask them how to get in touch with the Regional Brand Manager for Dodge so that you can make your complaint formal and request an escalation.
2. Call the Customer Service number in the back of your owner's manual. Explain politely but firmly the issues you're having and let them know that you may need to look into a "lemon law" replacement (if available in your state)
3. Log into the Dodge site, and under the "Contact Us" section is an option to send a message. Send a message detailing the visits you've made so far and the efforts that your dealer has made in fixing (and failing).
4. When you return to your delear, ask for the Service Director at the dealership and explain what you have given his service area a chance to resolve and ask that he assign a senior level tech to your issue. Let him or her know that you are also making efforts to get the Regional Brand Manager for Dodge / Chrysler involved.

The fix was to put in a NEW thermostat (I'm not entirely sure if it was the SAME part number or a slightly different one. I didn't press the details because all I cared was that it worked) and with the new thermostat they also added a specially designed "shim" to increase the space available in the thermostat housing to keep the thermostat from hanging open.

The Brand Manager is who certifies a dealership for service and allows them to do warrenty repairs or sell "certified pre-owned" cars. A Regional Manager finding that a recurring issue isn't being escalated properly in their service area will put more fear into them than the threat of a suit is probably likely to.

1 - 13 of 13 Posts