Dodge Challenger Forum banner

1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
15 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hey guys have a 2010 Dodge Challenger fuchsia R/T with 91,xxx miles. Used the remote start this morning in Tennessee, and after about 30-1:00, the car shuts off so I go outside and manually Start it and the check engine light is on. So I drove it to work and everything was perfectly fine, nothing out of the ordinary with motor performance or trans. Plan on taking it to autozone this evening when I get off to get the code red. Anyone happen to know what it could possibly be?!

·
Registered
2,290 Posts
Hey guys have a 2010 Dodge Challenger fuchsia R/T with 91,xxx miles. Used the remote start this morning in Tennessee, and after about 30-1:00, the car shuts off so I go outside and manually Start it and the check engine light is on. So I drove it to work and everything was perfectly fine, nothing out of the ordinary with motor performance or trans. Plan on taking it to autozone this evening when I get off to get the code red. Anyone happen to know what it could possibly be?!
Without a code it is impossible to say. You really should have a suitable code reader as part of your DIY tool box. Even if your toolbox consists of a hammer and a rusty pair of pliers. Being able to read active, pending, permanent codes, freeze frame data, and then clear codes, gives you a leg up on what the problem may be and what it may mean.

If you drive the car too much before you hit the Autozone store the CEL could be extinquished. Some codes only take a few warm up cycles before the ECU will erase the code which extinguishes the CEL.

·
Registered
15 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Yess I do need to get one, but I do have to say I recall smelling gas lastnight and a couple other times when I get out of the car.

·
Registered
2,290 Posts
Yess I do need to get one, but I do have to say I recall smelling gas lastnight and a couple other times when I get out of the car.
Could be a bad gas cap. Or some leak in the fuel vapor control system. Still just WAGs.

You really need the code or codes, freeze frame data -- a snap shot of telemetry when the error was logged -- to at least have a better idea what's going on. But unless you just forgot to put the gas cap on right the odds are you will have to have a professional look into this.

·
Registered
15 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
I don’t have a locking gas cap but in the ost I’ve had problems with the stock one I have but it hasn’t shot the message about checking the gas cap

·
Registered
2018 Challenger R/T Plus - Billet Clearcoat
278 Posts
Just need to get your code to go from there. Think my code was P0456 for evap leak and i have a reader.

It was in my Ram. Changed the gas cap....wasnt it.
Changed the evap purge valve, wasnt it
Changed the cannister leak detection pump....that fixed it.

$87 dollars to replace all and do it myself which was a piece of cake.....but of course easier to get under my Ram than it will be the Challenger.

That code can be anyone of the things i posted. Can even be the charcoal cannister itself. Start from the easiest first till its fixed. The code will come back if it isnt fixed. Mine was anywhere from a few days to a week to come back.

·
Registered
2018 Challenger R/T Plus - Billet Clearcoat
278 Posts
Welp, with a large leak I'd check the charcoal cannister for cracks or it being broken or a hose came off. If it isn't then I'd do the steps I did.

It can also be the filler throat and a disconnected hose or bad seal. Hope it don't get that far.

·
Super Moderator
2016 SXT Plus Blacktop
17,112 Posts
Go to the online Chilton manual

2018 Dodge Challenger> Repair> p0455 (2019 and 2020 no repair info yet)

A Guy

·
Registered
15 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
Bought a gas cap yesterday, started the car today and light was off. Let’s hope it stays off

1 - 15 of 15 Posts