Dodge Challenger Forum banner
  • Hey everyone! Enter your ride HERE to be a part of this month's Ride of the Month Challenge!

1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Premium Member
1,104 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have the 2014 Challenger RT 5.7 liter. First week I got it, I put the mopar cold air intake on it, then flow master 40 cat-back exhaust, and a oil catch can. No issues.
Now 5 weeks later, 2000 miles on it, I get in it this afternoon (outside temp 88 deg)
and check engine light comes on. Auto zone shows error code P0456. Possible causes:

1)EVAP small leak detected
2)ECM has detected a large leak in EVAP system during system monitor test, defective or loose gas cap (I double check gas cap looks ok)
3) Canister broke, hose loose or not connected
4) Purge or vent solenoid defective - vacuum lead at engine

Other than the obvious, its not the gas cap I'm guessing any suggestions?

Thanks , James Anning

·
Premium Member
1,104 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Yes, I'm taking it in, but that's Monday, just hoping to get some insight before then.
thanks

·
Registered
1,411 Posts
I installed my BT catch can and immediately the check light came on. I checked the black rubber hoses and found one was kind of on the short size and needed to be attached and clamped better. I ended up changing my hoses to steel braided with a few extra inches. Disconnected the battery cable for a few minutes and I haven't had any lights come on since.

Attachments

·
Premium Member
1,104 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Hmm? So if I do this, detaching the battery cable won't reset or mess up anything else?
Or better question is what all will disconnecting the battery cable do? I.e. Will I have to reset the clock, or redo all my personalized settings? Will there be any adverse effects on the computer?

·
Registered
2009 R/T
1,371 Posts
If you clear the code the techs will have no data with which to diagnose. You will reset everything back to day 0. You have an evaporative emissions system leak. Look there and not your PCV system if you are going to repair it yourself. Good luck.

·
Premium Member
1,104 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
If I do what "movnviol " said, and either reseat my hoses, or get new ones, clearing the codes will not hurt...if that resolves the issue. If does not resolve the issue, wouldn't the chk eng lite again come one and repopulate the code again?
So? I assume disconnecting the battery clears the codes? I'm now concerned with "what all" disconnecting the battery will do?

·
Registered
1,411 Posts
That was my train of thought when I disconnected the battery. I figured that if the problem wasn't a bad hose connection on the PCV hoses, the check light would come on again. I don't remember if I had to reset all of my settings ( clock, radio etc.) If I did, it wasn't a big deal. Other guys on the site have said that the car "learns" your driving habits and every so often, guys will pull the #2 fuse to reset the computer back to zero. One thing I have learned from this site, is that each year Challenger can be different.

Reactions: DuffDog

·
Premium Member
1,104 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
I did the #2 fuse, engine lites gone now. I figure if the issue is still existing, the lite will comeback, then I'll go to the dealership. Also, as some posts said...its running a bit better now too.

·
Vendor
12,919 Posts
i would review your catch can installation, we have seen several mil lamps caused by poor fitting or leaking hoses, if you take it to the dealer and the catch can is the issue, they will charge you for diag
Luke

·
Premium Member
1,104 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
I've never been able to get the start button cover off, I havn't tried too hard, didn't want to damage it........whats the trick to this?

·
Registered
1,033 Posts
I've never been able to get the start button cover off, I havn't tried too hard, didn't want to damage it........whats the trick to this?
Really-WOW, just get a finger nail underneath at the bottom at it just pops off. There are also instructions on the link I gave you to getting the codes out OR read the owners manual!

·
Super Moderator
14,915 Posts
i would review your catch can installation, we have seen several mil lamps caused by poor fitting or leaking hoses, if you take it to the dealer and the catch can is the issue, they will charge you for diag
Luke

My Billet catch can also caused the PCM to throw a code- the inside of the braided hose that went to my PC valve had partially collapsed. I replaced the hose and have had no problems since.

·
Registered
34 Posts
I just put the catch can on yesterday and not only is the car idling weird now but the engine light came on this morning as well.

1 - 15 of 15 Posts