·
Registered
716 Posts
Discussion Starter #1

·
Premium Member
2012 Charger Pursuit
5,569 Posts
Can’t relate...I realize lots of folks have super chargers on their cars, but relatively speaking it’s a small number in comparison to the rest of us that have the n/a versions of the cars in the article.

I relate to that article about as much as I would relate to a discussion between rock band front men about who has bedded the most women.

Nevertheless, thanks for posting! (y)

·
Premium Member
881 Posts
I've been reading this rubbish for years, as in since the late sixties, the magazines post these times as gospel but if you go to the track it is not THEIR favorites that are doing the business!

·
Super Moderator
2016 SXT Plus Blacktop
15,741 Posts
Challenger isn't a Pony car

A Guy

·
Registered
1,017 Posts
Once again Dodge is treated like the bastard child of the "big"3.

Mopar or No Car
Eh, not really. 1/10ths of a second in difference makes these cars all pretty equal in the 1/4 mile.

I thought Dodge actually gets a pretty decent review in this one. It's single performance in the 1/4 mile is really the only place where it's in the same league with the other two in terms of a performance comparison so I think Dodge got a very fair treatment as an "equal". Had the comparison of "performance" gone deeper and broader the review and results would have been far less favorable to the bigger car and it's inability to keep up.

Which car would I want to live with as a comfortable driver and which do I think looks best from a styling perspective?

Your decision and my purchase decision tells the whole story but that's not really much of a commentary concerning objective, measurable performance is it?

Dodge's sales #s Should tell the good folks at Chevrolet and Ford something useful though......while extra performance is always welcomed......it doesn't trump good looks.

·
Registered
1,017 Posts
Can’t relate...I realize lots of folks have super chargers on their cars, but relatively speaking it’s a small number in comparison to the rest of us that have the n/a versions of the cars in the article.

I relate to that article about as much as I would relate to a discussion between rock band front men about who has bedded the most women.

Nevertheless, thanks for posting! (y)
Maybe so.....but does the picture get better or worse for the Challenger when comparing the Scat Pack to an Camaro SS or Mustang GT.......... don't even want to go there against a 5.7 these days.

I don't compare my car to the others for ultimate performance supremacy. I know what I bought and how heavy it is. I know the Mustang GT is faster is a straight line and that a Camaro SS1LE carves the corners and sticks like eggs in a cheap skillet. If these two parameters were only important considerations I wouldn't be in a Challenger........but as it is styling matters and so does comfort. Today the Mustang falls short and the Camaro?.....that one is simply too ugly to even consider for me.

·
Registered
Boosted Stroked 2014 Shaker M6
2,343 Posts
The 25+ best Car memes ideas on Pinterest | Car jokes, Funny car memes and I see cars

·
Registered
1,017 Posts
That's actually wildly incorrect........ if we're gonna talk race cars vs street cars........ you muddy the water.

But if you go there.......this came along 5 years before Richard Petty's Winged NASCAR effort......and it was good for over 200MPH as well.

·
Premium Member
2012 Charger Pursuit
5,569 Posts
Maybe so.....but does the picture get better or worse for the Challenger when comparing the Scat Pack to an Camaro SS or Mustang GT.......... don't even want to go there against a 5.7 these days.

I don't compare my car to the others for ultimate performance supremacy. I know what I bought and how heavy it is. I know the Mustang GT is faster is a straight line and that a Camaro SS1LE carves the corners and sticks like eggs in a cheap skillet. If these two parameters were only important considerations I wouldn't be in a Challenger........but as it is styling matters and so does comfort. Today the Mustang falls short and the Camaro?.....that one is simply too ugly to even consider for me.
My inability to relate goes beyond the trim levels of the comparable cars. Giving me the quarter mile times a car can theoretically run is meaningless. I need numbers that mean something. Like how many seconds/minutes does it take to:

- cool the inside of the car down below 95F after its been in the summer sun for 2 hrs with windows up and has reached at least 130F inside the cabin.

- deswirl the paint using a DA polisher and 4 medium cut pads of 5” diameter using Meguiars M205 polish.

- change the oil from on-ramp to off-ramp using a cordless impact wrench and allowing 5 minutes drain time.

- rotate tires using two floor jacks and two jack stands.

- pass 2 semi trucks from pulling left to pulling back right.

- warm up the cabin to 50F on a cold morning start when temps outside are at least 25F.

·
Registered
Boosted Stroked 2014 Shaker M6
2,343 Posts
That's actually wildly incorrect........ if we're gonna talk race cars vs street cars........ you muddy the water.

But if you go there.......this came along 5 years before Richard Petty's Winged NASCAR effort......and it was good for over 200MPH as well.

View attachment 987444
That was a street car. That is what the SC in NASCAR means, and back in the day to run in the Winston Cup the cars had to be in production and available to everyone...

Trivia - Anyone know why that wing is so high?

·
Premium Member
2012 Charger Pursuit
5,569 Posts

View attachment 987444
Didn’t Vince Neil use of those to kill his buddy in a drunk driving accident?

·
Premium Member
2012 Charger Pursuit
5,569 Posts
That was a street car. That is what the SC in NASCAR means, and back in the day to run in the Winston Cup the cars had to be in production and available to everyone...

More downforce!!

·
Registered
14,075 Posts
More downforce!!
Yes sir.

It wasn't because it let the trunk open as is widely reported, they wanted the spoiler up where it would work and it just looks right too. They just got lucky the trunk would open, they wouldn't have cared much if it didn't open all the way, this car had one mission.

Sent from my SM-N960U using Tapatalk

·
Registered
106 Posts
The March 2020 issue of Car & Drive discusses these 3 cars.

Regarding the Challenger, other than the tires & 3.09 rear axle, they said all the options were comfort & convenience items. Later they mention it has a trunk mounted subwoofer, whereas the GT500 came with carbon fiber wheels & without a rear seat. IOW the Challenger is for the street & the GT500 is for the track.

The article mentions the Camaro’s poor outward visibility and of course the 1LE’s great suspension. But on the bumpy desert road the driver hit his head 3 times on the roof.

Sort of comes down to do you want a heavy, comfy car that's pretty darn quite & fast or a track focused car. Be nice to have the best of both worlds but that doesn’t exist with these 3 cars. You need a $125K Audi or BMW to do that.

·
Registered
1,017 Posts

Can't open the trunk lid if it's any shorter is what i always heard.

Have you actually looked at Richard Petty's Museum quality piece? Not a a whole lot of street car left beyond the basic shape. I've seen a lot of Street trim Hemi powered Road Runners and Chargers from the orgininal 426 era......a couple of of them Daytonas and Superbirds......all very cool cars......yet not a single one capable of anything even remotely close to 200MPH and honesty.......none especially good at any speed above 100MPH. Scary brakes, suspension and a total lack of anything that makes you feel "safe" .......I will give you this much though:

I have no doubt that a street version of the Superbird with it's ideal gearing for top speed runs will FEEL like your doing well past 200MPH as it scares you half to death at it's limit.......but make no mistake that limit is well bellow 200mph.......it's not even close.

Don't let Richard Petty's car fool you........it may look like the street version Super Bird.......but it's a race car not a Street car.

It does raise a question though.

What were Dodge, Ford and Chevy's first ACTUAL 200 MPH street cars you could buy off the show room floor?

If I had to guess......for Chevy it's a relatively recent Corvette, seems to me at Dodge it might have been a Viper or a Hell Cat Powered car........at Ford I have no idea. How fast was the re-issued GT40 of the early 2000s?

But one thing is absolutely certain.......nothing from the muscle car ear could achieve 200MPH. The gearing wasn't there, the power wasn't there and the cars weren't areodynamic enough to pull it off. God knows you could have over come all this back in the day.........but now you gotta ask, "Bias Ply tires, weak shocks, springs and brakes do I really want to go there unless I'm Richard Petty on the race track?"

The truth about the first production car to make it to 200MPH is sketchy ....... it did happen in 1987 though. Some say it was a Ferarri others say it was a Porsche and if you read about it.......it really does seem like the Porsche might actually have been.... THE ONE.

Today with higher horse power and fuel economy gearing available......there are more than just a few cars with enough power to find top speed in top gear.

For Dodge it's the Challenger Red eye at 203MPH and the 1 mph faster Charger at 204MPH. Even a 4 door Cadillic can just barely sneak over the line to 200MPH.

For American cars though fastest by far and nothing else close isn't especially surprising. 750HP and aero that makes the fastest Dodge cars with a little more HP look like a BRICK WALL. A 2019 Corvette can hit 212MPH......... not that you'd ever catch me going anything close to so fast in a car without roll bars and I think anyone who would is F-ing NUTS!

·
Registered
1,017 Posts
Since we're talking about it........ if you ever wondered when that first official 200mph lap happened:

Then there is the actual fastest ever NASCAR lap...... unfortunately it doesn't seem to be available it nice neat to the point video yet this still covers it and the incredible 1987 come back win for Bill Elliot at the same track in, the irony is pretty rich here, ........ a Ford of all things.

·
Premium Member
607 Posts
If I can remember correctly, the trunk on the Daytona had a limiter on it's opening, while the Bird Did not. Also, the wing was in a more upright position than on the Superbird. Have owned both but that was a long time ago

No brick wall Challenger here! Have posted this before...

HOT ROD ON

1 - 20 of 40 Posts