2016 SXT Plus Blacktop
15,741 Posts
I love that it sounds like a jet going by :D

A Guy

·
Super Moderator
2016 SXT Plus Blacktop
15,741 Posts

Dodge Daytona and Plymouth Superbird superbird wing design development production and competition&f=false

A Guy

·
Registered
1,017 Posts
If I can remember correctly, the trunk on the Daytona had a limiter on it's opening, while the Bird Did not. Also, the wing was in a more upright position than on the Superbird. Have owned both but that was a long time ago

No brick wall Challenger here! Have posted this before...

HOT ROD ON
"brick wall" when I used that expression was a RELATIVE comparison to the Corvette......... and it's still appropriate.

The Modern Challenger Body is far better than anything from years past in comparison to a great many cars........but even this car in the video........BIG ASS BRICK WALL compared to a modern Corvette. The Challenger has a Retro look requirement. Getting it as clean in the wind as Corvette would almost certainly alter it's appearance to a point where we wouldn't recognize it as such a good looking Retro take on the original car. So the aero comparison to a Corvette isn't exactly an apples to apples comparison effort.

211MPH here is recorded......what isn't recorded is the HP level on the car that is doing it. It ain't stock that's for sure and it's not exactly much of a leap to say it's significantly more than was required to get a C7 to 212MPH......I won't quibble over that 1MPH......the speed is the same as the Stock Corvette.

It be cool to know how much HP it took to get this Challenger to that same speed.

·
Registered
1,017 Posts

Dodge Daytona and Plymouth Superbird superbird wing design development production and competition&f=false

A Guy
Myth busted on the truck lid opening .........but the cable thing in the actual race cars is really cool. Makes sense and I'd never heard about that before.

Thanks for posting it.

·
Registered
2018 Scat Pack SHAKER in Plum Crazy
1,433 Posts
Look at the top speed at the end of the ¼ mile for each car. That is real world acceleration, not e.t. based on launch technique. Same with the Motor Trend Super Ultimate Drag Race 87 or whatever it was called. The Redeye was among the cheapest and 3rd best accelerating but came in 8th out of 12. If you only want something that leaps off the line, on the street a AWD V6 probably can hang for a second or 2, or get the Jeep Trackhawk. Or a Subaru...

·
Premium Member
607 Posts
211MPH here is recorded......what isn't recorded is the HP level on the car that is doing it. It ain't stock that's for sure and it's not exactly much of a leap to say it's significantly more than was required to get a C7 to 212MPH......I won't quibble over that 1MPH......the speed is the same as the Stock Corvette.

It be cool to know how much HP it took to get this Challenger to that same speed.

LOL, From my understanding, he was only using the black key fob on this run, and the red one was home in the safe. Lord only knows how much faster past mach two he could have gone!

Real world drag race with the Shelby and the Demon's little brother...

HOT ROD ON

·
Registered
2018 Challenger R/T Scat Pack 6.4 WK
102 Posts
These arguments are dumb. I think the best of the 3 is the one in your garage.

I couldn't live with the Mustang or Camaro as a DD. Got me a Scat Pack. Comfy and fast enough.

·
Premium Member
607 Posts
These arguments are dumb.

Arguments are as you expressed, they can get you banned here. I thought we were having a discussion on drag racing and no one was rude to anyone that I noticed. Maybe I failed in my attempt to be humorous in my last post. Your right! The best one is in the garage even more so when you got two...

HOT ROD ON

·
Super Moderator
2016 SXT Plus Blacktop
15,741 Posts
I see no arguing among members in this thread? Also certainly nothing wrong with any of your posts. I assume the reference was to the overall argument of which car is best ;)

A Guy

·
Registered
102 Posts
I see no arguing among members in this thread? Also certainly nothing wrong with any of your posts. I assume the reference was to the overall argument of which car is best ;)

A Guy
Sorry, let me clarify, I was referring to the way they compair the cars. Not necessarily arguments, although I have seen people get heated. Most on this forum are very polite and respectful.

Most of these "auto reviewers" leave out the biggest part of why most people buy cars, to drive from place to place in a city, suburb, etc. IMO, when comparing similar trim between the 3 American Muscle cars, Dodge wins the DD segment, and the best style.

·
Premium Member
2012 Charger Pursuit
5,569 Posts
Sorry, let me clarify, I was referring to the way they compair the cars. Not necessarily arguments, although I have seen people get heated. Most on this forum are very polite and respectful.

Most of these "auto reviewers" leave out the biggest part of why most people buy cars, to drive from place to place in a city, suburb, etc. IMO, when comparing similar trim between the 3 American Muscle cars, Dodge wins the DD segment, and the best style.
I got the feeling after reading that write-up that the events that led to its publishing went something like this:

Editor: “We need to fill some space, who wants to do a fluff piece on the fastest Mustang, Camaro, and Challenger?”

Author: “I will!”

Editor: “Great, you have 2 days, get to it.”

Author: “Awesome, you can count on me!”

...36 hours later...

Author: “Crap, I’ve got to get that story written and I haven’t even started yet. Oh, is that a Friends marathon on TBS?”

...1 hour before deadline...

Author: “Double crap!! I need to write that article in less than an hour, what am I gonna do?!?

I know, I’ll just look up the official quarter mile times and list those alongside whatever BS I can plagiarize from Road &Track or Car & Driver about how the cars handle.

Oh, and mentioning how the Challenger is too heavy will be the piece den residence!”

...10 minutes later...

Author: “Done, and done! Man that only took 10 minutes to write, I’m so crafty!!”

...Next day...

Editor: “WOW, your write up was a stinking pile of feces that my 12 y/o nephew wouldn’t even want to sign his name to.”

Author: “Yeah, I know, now what’s the next assignment?”

·
Registered
102 Posts
I just had a thought, why do they never put the new C8 Corvette in these comparisons? It would beat the Redeye , ZL1, and GT500 in every segment but cargo space.

·
Premium Member
2012 Charger Pursuit
5,569 Posts
My guess would be the Corvette is not considered to be in the same category as those 3. Although the category demarcation line is blurred by the addition of the super chargers on them, so that realistically puts them in the same category I would argue. But ultimately I didn’t write the article, so what I think matters not.

·
Super Moderator
2016 SXT Plus Blacktop
15,741 Posts
Most of the writers aren't yet old enough to have a vette :p

A Guy

·
Premium Member
2012 Charger Pursuit
5,569 Posts
Most of the writers aren't yet old enough to have a vette :p

A Guy
Reader: “Hey, Mr. Writer Man, what about including a ‘vette in your comparison article?

Author: “I would, but I’m not sure how to compare a car to an animal doctor...

Reader: “Holy cow, you ain’t got the sense God gave a hamster, do you?

Author: “Wrong! I bet I’ve got enough change in my pocket to buy three hamsters!

:rolleyes:

·
Registered
102 Posts
My guess would be the Corvette is not considered to be in the same category as those 3. Although the category demarcation line is blurred by the addition of the super chargers on them, so that realistically puts them in the same category I would argue. But ultimately I didn’t write the article, so what I think matters not.
I would say that the Challenger is a muscle car and the Mustang and Camaro are sports car, so the Challenger is not in the same catagory as the other 2, but the Vette is a sports car, supercharger or not.

21 - 40 of 40 Posts