Dodge Challenger Forum banner

1 - 20 of 72 Posts

·
Registered
22 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
Ok.. heres a few things that i NEED you folks out there to check out for me please!! and let me know if im the only one with these problems!!!..

1.Brakes squeak when coming to a stop but at the very last foot of the stop (real embarrassing for such a NEW and SEXY car)

2.When i hit a pot hole or speed bump,i hear the shocks,or struts SQUEAK too!! kinda sounds like those station wagons back in the days! i mean its not THAT loud.. but i Sure hear it even with my windows closed

3.If my windows are closed and i press the window button again to make sure that they are closed,the dash lights dim!! and i hear a sound somthing like a tiny beep when that happends

4.Now i know i started a thread on this already BUT my exhaust Thumps! while the car is running!.dealer said it MIGHT be expanstion but "he's not sure".

5.Turn your stearing wheel ALLL the way to the Right and see if you hear a sound that sounds kinda like a Knock and squeak,i really cant describe the sound but its,some weird a$$ sound!!!.. THEN do it ALL the way to the Left!, and tell me what you hear!!..im sure i cant be the only one with these "problems!"..otherwise.. ...well otherwise im going to the dealership with a .45 and a shovel!!..:grim: becasue i paid WAY to much frickin money for a car thats making all these fricking sounds! its a sports car for PhuGK sake!! it should sound and BE soild!! and..YEA I KNOW ITS AMERICAN! but..what gives!!??

6.Also i notcied TWICE that,when i was doing a turn going about 15mph and wanted to punch it out of the turn that the car felt like it shut off for a brief second, there was a exterm drop in power (as in accel,not energy) as if the car did not allow me to do such thing.. is this some kind of feature that the car has for safety?? i dont have a clue.. do you?..

7.i see a little RUST on the rotors on towards the outter parts around the rotors and also a spot underneath the car were the exhaust connects and meets towards the center of the car.. i told the service guy when i took my car in for an oil change and he said that it was no big deal and that it wouldnt spread...:SM127: i dont know what to think any more really.

im just really concerned it cost alot of money for this car,i mean we are in a recession!.. its not like money is growning on trees! like it use to

SO PLEASE FOLKS.. ANY INFO WILL HELP ALL OF US IN TURN AND THE PEOPLE IN THE FUTURE NOT JUST ME..CHECK YOUR CAR AND TELL ME WHATS GOING ON!
AM I REALLY THE ONLY ONE GOING THROUGH THIS? ARE THESE REALLY BIG PROBLEMS? OR AM I JUST BEING A BIG CRY BABY AND WORRING WAY TO MUCH??

·
Registered
22 Posts
Discussion Starter #2
Oh and i forgot to add... (yes theres more).

the dealership in which i bought the car from shut down and the nearest one shut down as well.. the closest one is 45-an hour away not to mention a $10 toll. my car when bought had 500 miles on it and now has 3,500 miles.. i know what your thinking.. yes it took me this long to see all this going on at first i didnt notice the mileage on the car (500mi)when i first got the car,it took me a week before i knew, i was "star struck" by the car that i didnt bother to fullly check it compeletly i was busy driving it around and showing off .. then when i noticed it, i went back to the dealer and they said that they had to drive it from another dealership that was 380miles away to get me this car,(i checked and it was 380miles away) cause at the time a black R\T 28j was hard to find...at least that was what all the dealerships were saying..anyhow..they gave me a 6 year 75,000 mile bumber to bumber warrenty on the car.and i was happy.. but ever since then i have been worried about this car and have been checking it,looking at it,etc.etc.etc.. .. the car is only 4 months old.. and 3,500 miles.. and im having doubts
.....what should i do.. ????????????

·
Registered
103 Posts
I can only speak to #6 on your list. My black R/T is an auto with every option added so my car is essentially like yours except for the mods I have done (see my signature line). I too felt a definite "dead spot" in the acceleration coming through a 90 degree turn. I found the Predator tune and CAI fixed it.
BTW, every car I've bought since asbestos brake linings were taken away from us has had a brake squeak so I wouldn't worry about that.

·
Registered
160 Posts
Hate to brake it to ya, but I haven't had a single on of those problems. Albeit I have a manual but still... I'm thinking the loss of power around the corners is a traction control issue. Have you tried to do the same corner with all traction control on, then with it half off, then use the turn key trick and see if any of those make a difference. I hope that works and it's an easy fix.

·
Registered
93 Posts
1 Not unusual, my wifes Mercedes and my Silverado do it on occasion

2. I have not heard this but it may be due to my exhaust is louder than stock

3.I have not heard the beep but the dimming can be explained with the wind motor dead headed. My Silverado does it to.

4. On the Exhaust thump ? I havent has stock exhaust since 200 miles. Car is 5 months old with 3200.

5. If you are talking about he hissing sounds when the sterring wheel is at stops it probably the power steering bypassing.

6. Try punching it through a turn wiht the traction control off.

7. A little rust on the Rotors sounds minor. I sprayed black paint on mile to clear it up.

Hope this helps. So far so good on this car for me.

·
Registered
377 Posts
My lights dim in rythem with any music that has bass in it and I have the volume up past 20... just thought it was dodges disco ball option... bringing back the 70's

·
Registered
956 Posts
Whine. What the hell does the Recession have to do with any of this?

When the window is up, its up. Keep your finger off the button.

·
Registered
13 Posts
The only 2 problems I have is it downshifts hard and when I do not use the car for a day or 2, I get a shimmy in the wheels and then after 10 to 15 miles it goes away. I would bring it back to your dealer

·
Registered
136 Posts
1700 miles and so far so good.

·
Premium Member
4,031 Posts
Of all those the only problem is a little brake noise and it is not a big deal. A CAI will take care of the lag you have I have my car out road racing and had no problems coming off the coners with lag.

·
Registered
50 Posts
I have the same front end squak when you get on or off the brake at a slow speed. Like if you pump the breaks to make the front end bounce. I am not sure if it comes from the brakes or the suspension. I am hoping it will go away with more miles. My lights dim too, but that is not uncommon on most cars. I see mostly small minor issues with yours, you can wait and see if they get worse until you get close to going out of warranty. Lifetime powertrain warranty is a piece of mind unless of course Chrysler goes belly up. :) I wouldn't worry too much. We all have more important things to drive our blood pressure up. Just enjoy your bad ass looking ride this spring. Thanks for letting me know I am not the only one with the squak.

·
Premium Member
311 Posts
I can speak to #6. The first time it happened it freaked the crap out of me. With traction control off it doesn't happen. In fact you can light them up nice and have to be careful not to fishtail.

·
Registered
1,703 Posts
My stereo is to loud to notice things normally.But I have heard my breaks squeal,but usually thats after it has been washed.On really cold days,I start it,and it squeals for afew seconds,and stops once it warms up.Almost hard to tell if we are just paranoid,or is something really going on.Things on my car,which is very little,are random things,so I cant really pin problems.All except,the keyfob not detected thing,and remote start randomly works.Has happened afew since I had it back in the shop.But goes off right away.But so far,thats all I have seen or heard.

·
Registered
1,041 Posts
1.Brakes squeak

Is it the pads, or a rubbing from change in suspension height/loading? Many cars with high perf brake pads having squeak as normal, but I have not heard this issue with Challenger, nor do I have it. If it is not pads, but suspension, there are some folks who have had rubbing brake lines, and had to get re-routed.

2.shocks,or struts SQUEAK

See #1 above.

3. dash lights dim!

There have been many threads on the Challenger voltage regulation being odd. My own car does not do what you describe (can't say I've tried it) but at night, if I touch brakes, sometimes at idle, the lights dim and brighten in an odd flickering way. Not happy, but seems typical.

4. exhaust Thumps!

Again, have not experienced this myself, but have someone get under the car and grab/inspect routing/tightness of everything.

5.Turn your stearing wheel ALLL the way to the Right and see if you hear a sound that sounds kinda like a Knock and squeak... its a sports car

I have not purposely put the wheel to full lock nad held it, but I have made turns that put the wheel to full lock and had no issues. Some cars do not like being held at full lock standing still, there is a pressure return and it may be that is what you are noting.

6.when i was doing a turn going about 15mph and wanted to punch it out of the turn that the car felt like it shut off

That's an easy one -- ESP. Don't like it, turn off the ESP, but be careful!

7.i see a little RUST on the rotors

Another easy one -- all cars do this. They make coated rotors (zinc, etc) but why bother? surface rust on rotors is typical even on Corvettes. Not to worry.

In summation, if that is the extent of your 'issues' (nothing really broken, just concerns about the bump in the night), other than taking it in for inspection of the squeak for brake line or other rub/interference, I'd just learn to love it's quirks, as long as they don't get worse, and drive it like you stole it!

·
Registered
7,683 Posts
Fwiw, I'm no stranger to the dimming lights when pushing the power window to full lock (my car being totally unrelated to any Chrysler product). Afaik, it is the current draw of the window electric motor at the very end of the window travel. When an electric motor is stopped, current flow peaks out in the coils. It's a considerable amount of amperage, which is enough to sag the current supply in other accessories such as lights. I would have thought that all of that Mercedes gear they put into a Dodge/Chrysler car (plus the high output alternator) would handle it a bit more gracefully, but maybe not. The electric motor just pushes the window to its extreme, stalls, and naturally trips the overload circuit to shut it off (or maybe it doesn't shut it off quick enough before the impending current draw).

Sometimes you can notice the operation of the windshield wipers having a similar effect on internal lighting (not so much the dashboard indicators, these days, since it is all electro-lum and ccd-based illumination), if you are sitting idle while they go back and forth.

It all comes down to current surge of various electric motors that have to drive a non-regular mechanical motion (not just spinning something at a constant velocity), is what I'm getting at. You should still get it or the alternator checked out if the dimming is excessive (affects engine controls and headlights to a undeniable degree).

·
Registered
589 Posts
Ok.. heres a few things that i NEED you folks out there to check out for me please!! and let me know if im the only one with these problems!!!..

1.Brakes squeak when coming to a stop but at the very last foot of the stop (real embarrassing for such a NEW and SEXY car)

2.When i hit a pot hole or speed bump,i hear the shocks,or struts SQUEAK too!! kinda sounds like those station wagons back in the days! i mean its not THAT loud.. but i Sure hear it even with my windows closed

3.If my windows are closed and i press the window button again to make sure that they are closed,the dash lights dim!! and i hear a sound somthing like a tiny beep when that happends

4.Now i know i started a thread on this already BUT my exhaust Thumps! while the car is running!.dealer said it MIGHT be expanstion but "he's not sure".

5.Turn your stearing wheel ALLL the way to the Right and see if you hear a sound that sounds kinda like a Knock and squeak,i really cant describe the sound but its,some weird a$$ sound!!!.. THEN do it ALL the way to the Left!, and tell me what you hear!!..im sure i cant be the only one with these "problems!"..otherwise.. ...well otherwise im going to the dealership with a .45 and a shovel!!..:grim: becasue i paid WAY to much frickin money for a car thats making all these fricking sounds! its a sports car for PhuGK sake!! it should sound and BE soild!! and..YEA I KNOW ITS AMERICAN! but..what gives!!??

6.Also i notcied TWICE that,when i was doing a turn going about 15mph and wanted to punch it out of the turn that the car felt like it shut off for a brief second, there was a exterm drop in power (as in accel,not energy) as if the car did not allow me to do such thing.. is this some kind of feature that the car has for safety?? i dont have a clue.. do you?..

7.i see a little RUST on the rotors on towards the outter parts around the rotors and also a spot underneath the car were the exhaust connects and meets towards the center of the car.. i told the service guy when i took my car in for an oil change and he said that it was no big deal and that it wouldnt spread...:SM127: i dont know what to think any more really.

im just really concerned it cost alot of money for this car,i mean we are in a recession!.. its not like money is growning on trees! like it use to

SO PLEASE FOLKS.. ANY INFO WILL HELP ALL OF US IN TURN AND THE PEOPLE IN THE FUTURE NOT JUST ME..CHECK YOUR CAR AND TELL ME WHATS GOING ON!
AM I REALLY THE ONLY ONE GOING THROUGH THIS? ARE THESE REALLY BIG PROBLEMS? OR AM I JUST BEING A BIG CRY BABY AND WORRING WAY TO MUCH??
1. NORMAL don't sweat it it'll go away in time, if not replace the pads or take it to the shop to have them put some anti squeak on them

2. again normal, it's your bushings squeaking, they too should stop once settled in, If not squirt some wd40 on them and it'll go away.

3. Normal, you are dead heading the window motor and creating a dead short, causing the lights to dim. Don't do it anymore.

4. Sounds like part of the exhaust is hitting the body, that should be inspected.

5. what your doing is again, deadheading the system, when you go from lock to lock your steering will do this.

6.It's your ESP doing it's job making sure you don't spin a tire, there is I believe and accelerometer under the console that your esp uses and when it's off kilter it tells the ESP to take away power, apply brakes etc, etc, to keep you safe. as everyone else has said, turn off the ESP and fry them skins.

7.The rotors are, believe it or not made out of cast iron and where ever the pads aren't contacting it will rust to some degree or another. Leave the car outside for 6 months in the rain, come back to it and the whole rotor will have surface rust on it. drive the car for a mile and it'll be gone where ever the pads touch.

so it general there's nothing wrong with your car, except the exhaust thing i'd check into that for sure. Not a performance or reliability issue but an annoyance for sure. :bigthumb:

have fun

roy

·
Registered
33 Posts
Rust on your rotors thats normal. I didnt like the brake pads on my srt4 at 5000 miles I was watching speed and the dreamcar garage guys were bragging about Satisfy pro sport brake pads. I put a set on my car front and rear I have 140000 miles on them they work great!!! Will buy them again for sure.

·
Registered
57 Posts
I have the brake squeek only once in awhile. It seems to do it once the first time I brake and then I don't hear it again. Almost as if it warms up and all is well. It's also cold out still so that might be part of it. At least thats what i have come to figure.

1 - 20 of 72 Posts