Dodge Challenger Forum banner

41 - 49 of 49 Posts

·
Registered
389 Posts
Discussion Starter #41
YMB, I like RedLine. I've used Valvoline/Royal Purple before with no problems either. I think any full synthetic gear goo will work fine for you. I put RedLine 75W90 in my Challenger instead of the factory 75W85. ?

·
Premium Member
2012 Charger Pursuit
5,569 Posts
Any good feedback on the brand of oil you guys are using in the rest? Sorry to change the topic away from the quantity for a minute. I see Red Line , Royal Purple and the original Mopar being mentioned any strong recommended oil for the rear change?
Shopping for the product that meets the specs required (GL-5?) is most important. As long as your choice satisfies those specs, who made the product is less important.

·
Registered
136 Posts
Also make sure your vehicle is on level ground when refilling the unit.
If you are doing this in your driveway with the rear jacked up. You could be over filling the unit by a few ounces. Depending on how high up you have it raised up.

·
Registered
12 Posts
Almost every modern car or truck which has both a drain and fill hole in any part of the drivetrain(front diff/rear diff/transfer case) is a "fill it 'till it runs out" make. Obviously not an issue with NEW cars, however good practice on ANY car is to ensure you can remove the FILL plug prior to removing the DRAIN plug! Don't be THAT guy!lol!

·
Registered
199 Posts
Almost every modern car or truck which has both a drain and fill hole in any part of the drivetrain(front diff/rear diff/transfer case) is a "fill it 'till it runs out" make. Obviously not an issue with NEW cars, however good practice on ANY car is to ensure you can remove the FILL plug prior to removing the DRAIN plug! Don't be THAT guy!lol!
Maybe you can answer this or someone else
I’ve done mainly DIY basic services to my vehicle
If I want to do the diff, I should take out the fill plug first then the drain plug out correct? Once the fluid is all out put the drain plug in fill it up till a little bit of oil comes out of the fill hole then plug it up and clean any mess and that’s it? If this is correct is there any torque specs?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

·
Registered
306 Posts
Any good feedback on the brand of oil you guys are using in the rest? Sorry to change the topic away from the quantity for a minute. I see Red Line , Royal Purple and the original Mopar being mentioned any strong recommended oil for the rear change?
I used Redline. If you go to their website it meets the Mopar diff oil for Scat Packs.

·
Registered
2013 SRT Core, 6-speed
94 Posts
I bet that's the reason so many issues are evolving with the diffs. They are underservicing them at the factory using 37 ounces, and then the dealers are using the same info on warranty work. It actually takes 1.25 qts to reach the fill hole.
It may not sound like much...but the difference between 37oz and 48 is almost 30%. That's a LOT less oil.

·
Registered
43 Posts
I just change mine for the fun of it using Royal Purple 75w90. Fill till it drips.

·
Premium Member
2014 Challenger SRT 8
620 Posts
Best tip ever...………….

REMOVE the fill plug first, THEN the drain plug.

Do not ask how I came up with this :oops:

41 - 49 of 49 Posts