Dodge Challenger Forum banner

1 - 20 of 20 Posts

·
Registered
167 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I came across a Cherokee STR8 6.4 at a good price and am curious as to what all it would take to do the swap in my 5.7 six speed. I'm assuming the 6.4 has MDS as well.

·
Registered
424 Posts
I came across a Cherokee STR8 6.4 at a good price and am curious as to what all it would take to do the swap in my 5.7 six speed. I'm assuming the 6.4 has MDS as well.
There was a guy here a while back that did a 6.4 swap ($8Kish?) in a brand new "fully loaded" RT that he got for "$30K" because dealers were gouging on Scat Packs. Try to find his thread. I don't have any other info on it.

Reactions: Ironthorn

·
Banned
2016 R/T Scat Pack
3,889 Posts
Is the 6.4 mated to an automatic?

I honestly don't see the point of swapping engines unless you have an old SXT or SE and find a really cheap 6.4l.

Just take whatever you were going to buy the Cherokee for, add it to the trade in on your vehicle, and buy a new car. I doubt both of those would be more than the price of a left over 2017 scat pack.

Or buy a crate engine...

·
Registered
799 Posts
You'll need a pcm flash or new pcm, possibly new lifters if the 6.4 has mds (if thats the case then also head bolts), and probably some other minor things. Depends on pricing and your budget.

You can try giving Modern Mucsle or Arrington a call, they do these swaps (5.7 to 6.4) all the time. They may be willing to give some info.

Keep the hot rodding spirit alive and swap that engine if you can swing it! :headbang2:

Reactions: Ironthorn

·
Premium Member
9,676 Posts
If you have a six speed then you don't want an engine with mds.

·
Banned
2016 R/T Scat Pack
3,889 Posts
You'll need a pcm flash or new pcm, possibly new lifters if the 6.4 has mds (if thats the case then also head bolts), and probably some other minor things. Depends on pricing and your budget.

You can try giving Modern Mucsle or Arrington a call, they do these swaps (5.7 to 6.4) all the time. They may be willing to give some info.

Keep the hot rodding spirit alive and swap that engine if you can swing it! :headbang2:
Hardly a hotrod, more like a waste of time and money.

·
Registered
167 Posts
Discussion Starter #7 (Edited)
I don't get the bad attitude.. If I can pick up a new crate 392 for a cherokee, for a bit over 6 grand, and sell my 5.7 for 3 to 4 grand, then I'd say its a pretty good deal. Regardless of my reasoning or cost, neither are the topic of this thread.

·
Registered
167 Posts
Discussion Starter #8

Thanks, appreciate the encouragement and positive response. :icon_cheers:

·
Registered
2016 Jazz Blue A8 Scat
938 Posts
I think I saw someone selling a kit to eliminate the MDS on the web somewhere, you might want that since the MDS won't be needed/wanted on a 6spd.

Looks like that kit, head gaskets and bolts need to be in the budget?

I'm curious to hear if everything plugs in and bolts up requiring only programming for the bigger engine?

Wonder if the active intake wiring is there and un-used on your 5.7?

If you want to do it, go for it. I've seen many worse swaps before and been involved in a couple of them.

This one sounds like cake.

·
Banned
2016 R/T Scat Pack
3,889 Posts
I don't get the bad attitude.. If I can pick up a new crate 392 for a cherokee, for a bit over 6 grand, and sell my 5.7 for 3 to 4 grand, then I'd say its a pretty good deal. Regardless of my reasoning or cost, neither are the topic of this thread.
That doesn't sound at all like what you said in your first post.

·
Premium Member
677 Posts
Really??? Show me a hotrod that isn't a waste of time and money. That's the very definition of a hotrod. Spending time and money on a project for the simple satisfaction of creating something new with your own hands. That's what it's all about. Anybody can go to a dealer and buy a Hellcat or a Demon, that just takes money.

·
Banned
2016 R/T Scat Pack
3,889 Posts
Really??? Show me a hotrod that isn't a waste of time and money. That's the very definition of a hotrod. Spending time and money on a project for the simple satisfaction of creating something new with your own hands. That's what it's all about. Anybody can go to a dealer and buy a Hellcat or a Demon, that just takes money.
So swapping a 4-banger into a challenger makes it a hotrod?

Anyone can buy a Challenger with a 6.4, why would you go through the trouble of building one when it will cost just as much?

Go find a rolling body and slap a 5.7 or 6.4 on it instead of reinventing the wheel.

·
Registered
799 Posts
Negative Nancy's man...can kill your spirit, but don't let them.

Yes, a 4 banger in a challenger would be unique (to me) and I'd probably laugh the first time I saw it but I'd congratulate the guy and shoot the shit with him for a while. Anything that takes more work than simply paying someone to figure it all out, is respectable in my book.

And another point. I don't know how any of you feel about your cars, but mine is never leaving my side unless I die or she's ruined beyond repair. Too much sentimental value and blood and sweat into that car than to just toss it aside for another. No way.

Like I said before OP, search around for some information in other places and obviously make sure it's not ridiculously priced to the point where you would be better off buying another car.

The hot rodding mentality is dying off in many respects (as we can see^) and no matter what anyone says, I would always rather do something unique and on my own rather than just throw my car away for "the next best thing."

·
Premium Member
677 Posts
So swapping a 4-banger into a challenger makes it a hotrod?

Anyone can buy a Challenger with a 6.4, why would you go through the trouble of building one when it will cost just as much?

Go find a rolling body and slap a 5.7 or 6.4 on it instead of reinventing the wheel.
heheh, i guess if you want to talk crap, sure, if you could get a deal on a Drake-Offenhauser making 1000hp @ 10,000rpm, it could be called a hotrod. that's not what i meant and you know it.

·
Registered
4,294 Posts
Don't hate on praiseV8 for trying to inject a little reality into your outlook. Look anything can be done with money and determination, but he's just trying to say that what you want to end up with is already offered from the factory at a great price, and it comes with a warranty and offers amazing performance. There is no benefit to going through all the work you are about to embark on, but if you want to be able to tell us "I told you I cold do it", then more power to you my friend :)

·
Premium Member
677 Posts
Don't hate on praiseV8 for trying to inject a little reality into your outlook. Look anything can be done with money and determination, but he's just trying to say that what you want to end up with is already offered from the factory at a great price, and it comes with a warranty and offers amazing performance. There is no benefit to going through all the work you are about to embark on, but if you want to be able to tell us "I told you I cold do it", then more power to you my friend :)
Sheez, no body is "hating" on anybody. The OP asked a simple question, what would it take to make a successful swap? Not, what do you think about making this swap? Cost wise, from what he's saying, it'll be cheaper than a supercharger or turbo setup for his 5.7 and he can sell his stock 5.7 to recoup a few grand from the cost of the 6.4. And yes, at the end of the day, he can say he built it, not that he bought it from the factory. There actually may be considerable satisfaction in that for the OP which one may not be able to put a price tag on. Maybe the 5.7 he currently has is exactly the car he wants minus some more power.

·
Banned
2016 R/T Scat Pack
3,889 Posts
Negative Nancy's man...can kill your spirit, but don't let them.

Yes, a 4 banger in a challenger would be unique (to me) and I'd probably laugh the first time I saw it but I'd congratulate the guy and shoot the shit with him for a while. Anything that takes more work than simply paying someone to figure it all out, is respectable in my book.

And another point. I don't know how any of you feel about your cars, but mine is never leaving my side unless I die or she's ruined beyond repair. Too much sentimental value and blood and sweat into that car than to just toss it aside for another. No way.

Like I said before OP, search around for some information in other places and obviously make sure it's not ridiculously priced to the point where you would be better off buying another car.

The hot rodding mentality is dying off in many respects (as we can see^) and no matter what anyone says, I would always rather do something unique and on my own rather than just throw my car away for "the next best thing."
Yes, exactly my point. You'd laugh about a 4-banger in a challenger. It would be unique, so it would garner some sort of reaction from you.

There's thousands of Challengers with 5.7l and 6.4l engines, why would you put yourself through all that trouble just to end up at the same place as someone else who paid and didn't have to suffer through making it work or dealing with any unforeseen issues?

Hot rodding mentality in newer cars died when the industry started to get choked by regulations and we started to put computers into the mix.

heheh, i guess if you want to talk crap, sure, if you could get a deal on a Drake-Offenhauser making 1000hp @ 10,000rpm, it could be called a hotrod. that's not what i meant and you know it.
Even a 1.4l off a 500 would be more unique than swapping a 6.4l around cars that are still produced with them. :shrug03:

Even in a best case scenario and it hooks up without issue, you'll have traded a few hours/days of your time, a couple of pints of sweat and blood, to save a couple thousand dollars for something without a warranty that no one else will really appreciate but yourself.

·
Super Moderator
16,216 Posts
It will be a major PITA to do it.

The TIPM / PCM / IP cluster are all linked by VIN (which has the engine associated with the vehicle) plus all the engine harnesses would need to be swapped over and then trying to get the programming working to get this all to run properly.

The easiest part of disabling the MDS is remove the intake and unplug the 4 MDS solenoids.

Not sure if the crank would need be to drilled for the pilot bushing that the 6-speed would have.

Others that have done this spend many hours doing it and with the tuning / OBD-II issues, largely gave up.

We have a local guy that swapped out the V6 driveline in his Magnum for a complete 6.1 SRT / M6 combo, and is still trying to get the OBD-II issues worked out to get emissions inspections to get registration. Neat project, but many months later - still yet to be resolved.

·
Registered
167 Posts
Discussion Starter #19
I appreciate all the responses and input. Especially the positive ones sticking to the original post. I feel the need to elaborate a bit. When I saw the T/A's first start advertising, I knew I wanted one. I loved the old school appeal and nostalgia it represented. When I decided to buy in the Kansas city area, there were only two 392 T/A's available. Both dealerships were wanting over 50 k for them. That wasn't in my budget. I love the car itself, it's as simple as that. Its not about the 392 for me, its about modifying it and making it my own. I've gone through several options, even put money down on a whipple that eventually fell through. So when I came across the Cherokee crate 392 option, I thought i'd check it out. I mean, who wouldn't? So with that, I'm trying to take in all the knowledge I can to make the right decision before tearing into my car, while enjoying the ride along the way!

With what I've read, sounds like I need to do a non-MDS swap if I go that route. It's a shame missing a good price on performance mods however.

·
Banned
2016 R/T Scat Pack
3,889 Posts
I appreciate all the responses and input. Especially the positive ones sticking to the original post. I feel the need to elaborate a bit. When I saw the T/A's first start advertising, I knew I wanted one. I loved the old school appeal and nostalgia it represented. When I decided to buy in the Kansas city area, there were only two 392 T/A's available. Both dealerships were wanting over 50 k for them. That wasn't in my budget. I love the car itself, it's as simple as that. Its not about the 392 for me, its about modifying it and making it my own. I've gone through several options, even put money down on a whipple that eventually fell through. So when I came across the Cherokee crate 392 option, I thought i'd check it out. I mean, who wouldn't? So with that, I'm trying to take in all the knowledge I can to make the right decision before tearing into my car, while enjoying the ride along the way!

With what I've read, sounds like I need to do a non-MDS swap if I go that route. It's a shame missing a good price on performance mods however.
Sorry I rained on your parade, but like Hal H explained, it's more trouble than it's worth.

You're clearly willing to buy why not get in contact with Bob Frederick or Steve White dealerships about ordering a car if your local dealerships are marking-up?

1 - 20 of 20 Posts