Dodge Challenger Forum banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
145 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hey all,
I was wondering if any of you Chicago area V6 Challenger owners have installed an aftermarket or custom exhaust system?

I was seriously considering installing the Flowmaster cat-back system but after reading about it I have my doubts. The price is right at around $600, but
I don't want aluminized-anything in my exhaust system. It WILL rust.​

From what I've read at the Flowmaster website the pipes are T409 stainless, but they're using Super 50 series mufflers which are aluminized steel. (That's kinda messed up, imho.) Some of the other systems like Borla, MBRP, Magnaflow, etc., get kinda pricey.​

I'd consider going custom, but they have to do at least T409 stainless pipes AND mufflers. The only drawback to that though, is if the system is welded in it becomes a semi-perminent part of the car. I don't know of any custom exhaust shops around here, though I'm sure there's got to be a few nearby. I'm going to start shopping around, but if anyone knows feel free to chime in.​

JoeyV123

p.s. Any meet-ups happening in the near future?​

·
Registered
9,272 Posts
Joey,

I went with a single exhaust Jones Full Boar muffler and Resonater delete. Whole this was under $100 at a muffler shop. Jones does make systems as well I think.

Had B-fast this morning with an R/T owner and when I fired mine up he said Wow! That sounds great for a V6

·
Registered
179 Posts
Hey all,
I was wondering if any of you Chicago area V6 Challenger owners have installed an aftermarket or custom exhaust system?

I was seriously considering installing the Flowmaster cat-back system but after reading about it I have my doubts. The price is right at around $600, but
I don't want aluminized-anything in my exhaust system. It WILL rust.​

From what I've read at the Flowmaster website the pipes are T409 stainless, but they're using Super 50 series mufflers which are aluminized steel. (That's kinda messed up, imho.) Some of the other systems like Borla, MBRP, Magnaflow, etc., get kinda pricey.​

I'd consider going custom, but they have to do at least T409 stainless pipes AND mufflers. The only drawback to that though, is if the system is welded in it becomes a semi-perminent part of the car. I don't know of any custom exhaust shops around here, though I'm sure there's got to be a few nearby. I'm going to start shopping around, but if anyone knows feel free to chime in.​

JoeyV123​

JoeyV123,

All Flowmaster kits labeled as 409S Systems are stainless steel pipes and mufflers. There’s only one kit listed for your V6 Challenger. It’s stainless from front to rear.
Part No: 817459

http://www.flowmastermufflers.com/shop/index.php?main_page=product_info&cPath=0&products_id=4276&ab=817459&recordID=&vehicle=2010 DODGE CHALLENGER &orig=817459

Here’s a video covering the complete install with additional sound clips inside and outside of the car.

·
Registered
145 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Hey FlowFan,

I am leaning toward the Force II system but I'm hesitant for the following reasons:

As I was looking up the specs of the system online I noticed the muffler is a Super 50 series muffler. When I looked up the specs for Super 50 series muffler on the Flowmaster website, the web page listed Super 50 Series mufflers as being aluminized steel.

I couldn't find p/n 8525561-Z anywhere on the web page, which is the part number listed on the install sheet. I did find p/n 525561 which lists the muffler as being aluminized steel. Perhaps I'm missing something?

The other thing that concerns me is cutting the original exhaust pipe. If, for any reason, I wanted to re-install the original exhaust system, I'd have to have clamp it back on with a large clamp or have it re-weld back into place. I probably wouldn't go back to the original system, but who knows... Anyway, my guess is that it's done this way to keep the cost down, but I would have prefered a Y-pipe or even and X/H-pipe set-up, even at an extra cost. I think a Delta 50 series muffler with an Y, X, or H pipe set-up might have been good way to go, but of course I have no idea what it takes to design an exhaust system.

I've seen other manufacturers systems online, but most of the sound clips I've found make the V6 in the Challenger sound like an import. (I know, the V6 in the Challenger will never sound quite like a V8...) The Flowmaster has probably the best overall tone. Though the Pypes Race Pro system seems to be a close contender, and the two systems are competatively priced.

The only other thing is that I don't really like the tips that come with the flowmaster system. But those can easily be swapped for something else so it's not a major issue.

Anyway, perhaps you could help "tip the scale" for me by clarifying the Super 50 Series muffler issue. Any help would be appreciated.

JoeyV

1 - 4 of 4 Posts