Dodge Challenger Forum banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Look what my dumbass did to my WB chin spoiler. Any suggestions on a method to repair it or should I look into sourcing a new one?
20190911_185323.jpg
20190911_185323.jpg

·
Super Moderator
13,329 Posts
Agree, replace it with OEM part, or live with it until you really badly bang it up.
Since your chin spoiler isn't cracked, before you buy a new one, you may want to try improving its appearance by sanding.The procedure is similar to sanding a wood finish. Before sanding, clean off dirt and grime with a mild detergent solution. Use a 50/50 solution of vinegar (a weak acid) and water to smooth out the deep scratches and scuffs.

To avoid scratching, use silicon carbide or wet/dry sandpaper. It's usually black or gray. Immerse the paper in water for 10 minutes, then sand in a circular motion. Keep the sanding pattern irregular to avoid producing deep scratches that might remain visible. Using a foam block to support the sandpaper is helpful when sanding curved surfaces.

Run through the sanding grits in order from 220 to 400, 800, and 1,200-grit, finishing with 1,500 or 2,000-grit, depending on how smooth you want the surface. Clean the sanding residue with water after you're done with each grit.

If you desire a sheen, spread automotive clear-coat polishing compound on the surface and buff it with a lambs wool buffer.

Good luck.

·
Registered
3,565 Posts
Since your chin spoiler isn't cracked, before you buy a new one, you may want to try improving its appearance by sanding.The procedure is similar to sanding a wood finish. Before sanding, clean off dirt and grime with a mild detergent solution. Use a 50/50 solution of vinegar (a weak acid) and water to smooth out the deep scratches and scuffs.

To avoid scratching, use silicon carbide or wet/dry sandpaper. It's usually black or gray. Immerse the paper in water for 10 minutes, then sand in a circular motion. Keep the sanding pattern irregular to avoid producing deep scratches that might remain visible. Using a foam block to support the sandpaper is helpful when sanding curved surfaces.

Run through the sanding grits in order from 220 to 400, 800, and 1,200-grit, finishing with 1,500 or 2,000-grit, depending on how smooth you want the surface. Clean the sanding residue with water after you're done with each grit.

If you desire a sheen, spread automotive clear-coat polishing compound on the surface and buff it with a lambs wool buffer.

Good luck.
This.

Or honestly, no one is going to notice, and it won't be the last time to blemish it.

·
Registered
911 Posts
Dont make me upload pictures of my splitter

For a little damage like that, i dont thing its worth the time, hassle, and moolah to replace the whole dang splitter. Shes big, and low. Guarantee youll pick up a few more nicks here and there. Try the method posted above

1 - 7 of 7 Posts
About this Discussion
6 Replies
6 Participants
Brokenbones
Dodge Challenger Forum
Challenger Talk, the online forum for discussions, reviews of Dodge Challenger, and all things SRT, Hellcat, and Demon.
Full Forum Listing