Dodge Challenger Forum banner
  • Hey everyone! Enter your ride HERE to be a part of this month's Ride of the Month Challenge!

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
28 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
So I'm having a new issue with my 2015 Supercharged Challenger.

Just about an hour ago I was driving home in the interstate and as I got off the exit, I started hearing this chirping happening at no particular interval, but as I came to a stop, idling, the chirping was ever present and my challenger feels like its jerking / jolting.

Just testing at home, the chirping and jolting seems relatively worse if in reverse.

I dont notice anything while in park, just in drive while idling, and in reverse.

Still drives but feels like it's driving "heavier" if that makes sense.

Any ideas?

Thank you in advance for any help.

·
Registered
413 Posts
So I'm having a new issue with my 2015 Supercharged Challenger.

Just about an hour ago I was driving home in the interstate and as I got off the exit, I started hearing this chirping happening at no particular interval, but as I came to a stop, idling, the chirping was ever present and my challenger feels like its jerking / jolting.

Just testing at home, the chirping and jolting seems relatively worse if in reverse.

I dont notice anything while in park, just in drive while idling, and in reverse.

Still drives but feels like it's driving "heavier" if that makes sense.

Any ideas?

Thank you in advance for any help.

Since it does not do it in Park.....that should rule out the Motor. If it makes noise in gear and not moving....sounds like trannie / torque converter. If moving also....possible trannie, drive shaft or rear end. The "driving heavy" comment sounds like trannie problems. Might want to see if u can check the fluid level as well. How many miles on the car? Good luck with that an please let us know.

·
Registered
28 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
I'm literally just about to hit 34,000 miles.

I did my ignorant "eyeballing under the hood" check and noticed a pulley on my supercharger shaking but I dont know if that particular pulley is supposed to shake or not.

YouTube link to a quick video of the shaking pulley: https://youtu.be/2C5WetITXuw

·
Registered
1,886 Posts
That's just the belt tensioner you see shaking its normal, can you do a YouTube of the jolting? and also does it do it when your rolling just inches at a stop?

·
Registered
413 Posts
I'm literally just about to hit 34,000 miles.

I did my ignorant "eyeballing under the hood" check and noticed a pulley on my supercharger shaking but I dont know if that particular pulley is supposed to shake or not.

YouTube link to a quick video of the shaking pulley: https://youtu.be/2C5WetITXuw
The Tensioner movement looks normal to me as well. Have someone sit in the car and put it in gear (set the parking brake) to make it chirp. Watch the Tensioner to see if there is a major change in movement......and to see if the noise sounds like it is coming from under the hood.

I normally use a very long screwdriver to lay on different components to find the culprit. (screwdriver on component, ear on handle) If you do this.....be VERY careful not to let the screwdriver get caught on anything. (could be disastrous) A long narrow piece of wood works also (broom handle)

·
Premium Member
2018 Scat Pack SHAKER in Plum Crazy
3,588 Posts
Heres a video of the noises.

Also note the exhaust stutter that I just now noticed once I got behind it. That was not there before either.

https://youtu.be/duLldh13k5c
I just listened to that, I have no idea. I didn't notice anything in the exhaust part, but underhood was clear. Sounded like exhaust gasket leak, but too random. Almost like random misfire. Does the tach jump in sync with the noise, does it drop a lot more than the rpms seem to?

·
Registered
2020 Dodge Challenger Hellraisin Scat Pack
3,698 Posts

Also note the exhaust stutter that I just now noticed once I got behind it. That was not there before either.

Do not hear any exhaust stutter.

That chirping noise is very much like the noise I heard from my 996 Turbo when a serpentine belt idler roller bearing had failed.

·
Registered
413 Posts

The exhaust sounds normal to me. Of course you are used to it and will detect small changes. I would briefly remove the serpentine belt and start the car. (If you can.) You cannot run it too long because the water pump will not be turning and could overheat if u run it too long. With the blower it may not be possible. It sounds mechanical to me. It sounds internal. However....I have been fooled before by a belt causing similar noises or worse. You can try another belt.....or a cheap way to do that.....is to spray a lil WD-40 on the inside of the belt while it is idling. (be careful) If it is a belt.....the noise will temporarily go away. Another burst of spray will give another test. If this has no effect....It is either a component that is belt driven going bad.....or something worse in the motor.

A friend of mine just had his 392 rebuilt.....and they set the pistons up too loose and it had piston slap. It sounded very similar.

The 392 weak link is the pistons. The top ring is VERY thin and VERY close to the top of the piston. They are known to break off and cause all sorts of problems. Needless to say....they are not good candidates to "spray" or run a blower. If kept in strict limits they will live. If not...they die a quick death.

If you do not get anywhere the next step would be a vacuum gage. If the gage flutters you might have a valve problem. The next step would be a full compression test to compare all the cylinders. I am hoping for you that it is something minor. But be prepared. Please keep us posted.....Gene.

·
Registered
413 Posts
ANOTHER THOUGHT: I just remembered a friend MANY years ago that had a similar problem on his 66 Chevelle 427. It ONLY happened in gear. (I was wishing that you would have put it in park and demonstrated the noise going away) It turned out that one of his Torque Converter Bolts was loose and the head backed out and the head of the bolt was hitting the flex plate. Putting it in gear made it flex enough to hit. We tightened the bolts and problem solved. Just a FYI...good luck.......Gene.

·
Premium Member
2018 Scat Pack SHAKER in Plum Crazy
3,588 Posts
Do not hear any exhaust stutter.

That chirping noise is very much like the noise I heard from my 996 Turbo when a serpentine belt idler roller bearing had failed.
Yeah, I know what you mean, I had a SLK a couple years ago, and lost an idler. It started with a random tick, then over a week got quite noisy. Simple/cheap fix too.
I'll re-listen to the video.

Just listened again, hmm, not sure, doesn't sound like what I recall.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts