Dodge Challenger Forum banner
  • Hey everyone! Enter your ride HERE to be a part of October's Ride of the Month Challenge!
1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
373 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hey all!
Ive got a problem.

I noticed my engine in my 3.6L sxt chirping so i took it in to have looked at.It chirped constantly at idle and when braked. They said it was the serp belt, tensioner and idlers. So i brought my car back a couple weeks later to have it fixed. She ran good for about a week then i heard it again. This time ill drive my car then park it and hear it but only for about 30 seconds then it seems to stop. Since the service dept already replaced the tensioners and idlers i can rule that out. I've been reading on the charger forum that a few members have had similar issues and there problem ended up being a water pump assembly. Any ideas on what my problem could be ? :SM030:

Thanks

·
Premium Member
3,081 Posts
Did they replace the belt itself?

·
Registered
373 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
yes the belt, tensioners and idlers got replaced

·
Registered
111 Posts
My guess would be the water pump. I had an intermittent chirping in my engine bay that turned out to be a failed water pump.

Reactions: TrevorD and salvy59

·
Premium Member
3,023 Posts
This didn't happen on my Challenger, but I did experience a random chirping once. It turned out it was a bearing in the water pump warning me that it's days were numbered.

Reactions: salvy59

·
Registered
31 Posts
Yep had the same thing happen to my 3.6 a little over a month or more after I bought mine , dealership said it was the water pump.
They replaced it ,though I had to go back 3 days later the mechanic didn't wait to get the air out of the system and they had to add antifreeze to the resovoir. I would take it back , get them to replace the water pump.

Reactions: TrevorD

·
Registered
373 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
thanks guys, its been doing it for a while now with this delay and my work schedule..i hope it is all good under there

1 - 8 of 8 Posts