Dodge Challenger Forum banner

1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
558 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Carrying over my preference to modify stock parts to look nice on my bikes, i.e. polishing aluminum parts, I am curious if anyone has pulled the "Chrome Clad" away from the aluminum rim to see what lies underneath? I'm not certain how its bonded, how rough the surface underneath is, and frankly don't want to wreck mine to find out. I really prefer polished aluminum to chrome, especially 'chromed' plastic.

I may try to locate a trashed rim just to see, but figured I would ask here first.

·
Registered
73 Posts
You cannot pull the cladding away from the wheel. It would involve serious cutting and material removal. Its not just a thin layer of spray adhesive.
Its permanent.
You'll have a mess on your hands.

·
Registered
558 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
I've asked the maintenance department at the dealer to let me know if they get a damaged chrome clad rim. I'm mainly looking to how the plastic is bonded to the aluminum rim underneath, and what the shape and condition of the base rim is. Until i have that info, i'm not about to try.

·
Registered
558 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Go to my photo gallery...I can't figure out how to include them in this post. Not my car....just found the photo's and thought they were interesting.
Bingo, that at least gives me an idea of what lies underneath, thanks.

·
Registered
357 Posts
Found the post on challenger****** with the guy that removed the chrome clad from his wheels...

LINK

Here are the pictures of my wheels, after the chrome plastic covers were removed. I used a plastic bondo spreader and " goof off " and alot of labor, at least two hours per wheel to remove the adhesive. Note that the entire rim was not encased in the adhesive, mostly in beads on each spoke and around the rim. If you can get one eighth of the cover peeled back and alot of grunt, they WILL pop off. I then clear coated them again to remove any scratches I created during the process. Then I had aluminum center caps machined out of 3/8" and powered coated them to match the silver paint. I still can't imagine why Dodge would go to the trouble of mfg. these, and then cover them.

·
Registered
73 Posts
Seems like alot of mess and trouble for being left with a non-descript aluminum wheel.
Are those machined out pockets by the valve stem??

I know a bunch of guys on the HHR forum have pulled the cladding off those wheels varying degrees of success. Success being defined as a finished prodcut you'd be proud of.

·
Registered
558 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Just to kind of know where I was coming from when I originally posted, attached is a before and after picture of the rim modification I did on my 97 TL1000. I polished the machined lip to a mirror shine, and sprayed the center cast area to Match the bike (all done with a rattle can from Color-Rite). I painted the fender eliminator and sub-fender at the same time. The difference is dramatic, and they were still the stock rims.

Attachments

·
Registered
304 Posts
im gonna try this one day...still have my OEM 18s from my Challenger SE that im powdercoating black. ill probably polish the chrome clad 20"s after i get my 18" AR 500s

·
Registered
1,208 Posts
We've been pulling the chrome off the wheels for years with the heavy duty Dodge Ram trucks. Afterward we sand blast then powdercoat.

·
Registered
2,311 Posts
Plastic wheel covers...what were they ever thinking?:scratchhead:
I still wonder why anyone would put 20's on a car they didn't have too...:notallthere:

1 - 14 of 14 Posts