Dodge Challenger Forum banner

1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
Registered
101 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
While washing our 2010 r/t (less than 10k miles) I noticed the wheel cover on the front driver side is cracked. So I looked at the others and found two more that have started to crack, starting from the lugs nuts and going straight out towards the outside edge. Has anyone else had this problem? And yes I did a search but didn't find anything.

·
Premium Member
7,294 Posts
If there is no curb rash (damage), then show the dealer. That should be a warranty issue.

·
Registered
2,412 Posts
....yes. I noticed the same issue on one of my wheels and now two of them. The crack seems to start at the lug nut hole but hasn't progressed any further (although a "seam" appears on the spoke but no "breakthrough" as of yet beyond the lug hole). My car has about 8k miles btw and is only 7 months old (garaged). I noticed the first crack a few months ago. Here are a couple of shots I just took to hopefully illustrate what you and I are talking about. ....does yours look similar?

·
Registered
101 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
....yes. I noticed the same issue on one of my wheels and now two of them. The crack seems to start at the lug nut hole but hasn't progressed any further (although a "seam" appears on the spoke but no "breakthrough" as of yet beyond the lug hole). My car has about 8k miles btw and is only 7 months old (garaged). I noticed the first crack a few months ago. Here are a couple of shots I just took to hopefully illustrate what you and I are talking about. ....does yours look similar?

That is exactly what mine looks like. Thanks. I talked to the service manager and he took pics to send to Chrysler. No curb rash so my wheel and tire warranty package will not cover it :notallthere: He said it should be covered under parts.

·
Registered
11 Posts
I have the same thing on my rims. The service manager at my dealership said they are there by design. I did not notice if they were there when I got the car 2 years ago.

·
Administrator
17,155 Posts
I have the same thing on my rims. The service manager at my dealership said they are there by design. I did not notice if they were there when I got the car 2 years ago.
If they are there by design, I would expect to see them on all wheels in the exact same location.

·
Registered
1,212 Posts
That service manager is full of it. I just had my wheels off and on the bench cleaning them and there are not cracks in mine. If it was "by design" everyone would have them.

Sounds like he wanted to avoid dealing with a warranty issue.

·
Registered
101 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Well I wash my car often and am constantly eyeballing the paint, glass, tires and everything else. I even know what imperfections were in the paint when it was new. The wheels were not cracked until recently. I wonder if the recent cold temps had anything to do with it:scratchhead:

·
Registered
11 Posts
I think the dealer is screwing me around. I have a couple of thousand miles left before the warranty expires. I will be going into the dealership on Monday to have them look at the wheels again.

·
Registered
153 Posts
My '09 RT is about 2 years old. I found the same cracks on two of my wheels last winter. I took it in to the dealer. Chrysler wouldn't warranty it. The dealer pushed for replacement but the regional Chrysler warranty guy wouldn't replace them. The dealer turned to the manufacturer who never came through either. It's a surface crack and has never spread past the lug holes. It isn't dangerous. The wheel isn't in danger of failing. I wasn't happy about it either. On the bright side, only the owners will know it's there with their fine eye for detail when washing and polishing. I doubt if anyone else will ever notice it. I guess it'll just be a signature of the OEM wheels. I think it is caused by the uneven expansion of two dis-simular materials when the brakes heat up the wheel.

·
Registered
101 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
Good news. While in for an oil change, I asked the service manager if chrysler ever got back with him. He said yes they did and my wheels are there. Well turns out one was there and the other seems to have sprouted legs and walked away. He inspected my wheels again, and one more has cracked, so now he will order two more. Top notch service in my book. That's why I drive 25 miles to them instead of just across town. If your clad wheels are cracking I would tell the service manager to do his job because they will be covered under warranty.

·
Registered
108 Posts
Unfortunately, this is a common warranty issue. The concern is covered by your 3/36 warranty. The dealer will have to submit digital photographs to Chrysler for approval, that is just part of the process. If you have difficulty with your dealer, call Chrysler Owner Relations and politely voice your concern. The phone number is in your Owners Manual. Discoloration of the "chrome" is also a warrantable issue as long as it has not been caused by physical damage.

·
Registered
2,453 Posts
While washing our 2010 r/t (less than 10k miles) I noticed the wheel cover on the front driver side is cracked. So I looked at the others and found two more that have started to crack, starting from the lugs nuts and going straight out towards the outside edge. Has anyone else had this problem? And yes I did a search but didn't find anything.
I remember reading someone else had this issue with those rims. I forget where I read it, maybe it was on a charger.

·
Registered
1,386 Posts
My guess would be the robot that tightens the lugnuts got out of spec and over torqued the lugnuts. loosen them all a flat and retighten by hand.when I worked the Gm plant in Norwood, we had an 800 lb gorilla that did that regularly.

·
Registered
2,412 Posts
My guess would be the robot that tightens the lugnuts got out of spec and over torqued the lugnuts. loosen them all a flat and retighten by hand.when I worked the Gm plant in Norwood, we had an 800 lb gorilla that did that regularly.
....the lug nuts don't contact the cladding.

1 - 18 of 18 Posts