Dodge Challenger Forum banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Premium Member
2015 RT, Scat Pack.......Shakerrrrrr
145 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Took the time to paint the tipz to match the rear fascia. I've been changing the easy/obvious exterior accents from chrome-to-black.

After giving the Green Monster an inspection for the last 2 months, I've been appreciating the design cues. This change was early on the list.

I'm a chrome guy from the 70's, my today sez......black where black should be.

20200521_142415_HDR.jpg

·
Registered
2020 sps ordered 5/20/20
69 Posts
Looks very nice...did you use hi temp bbq paint, and was it an aerosol and did you have to remove the tips to paint?

·
Premium Member
145 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
I used VHT header paint, an aerosol product. Tipz were removed (very easy), applied two coatz n then baked them in the oven to cure. Took about a half can of paint.

·
Premium Member
2018 Dodge Challenger T/A Plus in Yellow Jacket w/5.7L and A8 automatic
1,209 Posts
What temperature did you bake them at.....and was there any negative impact on the oven and/or kitchen area after doing so?

·
Premium Member
145 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
450 for 15 minutes. No adverse odors or issues.

I'll do another coat (s) to use the rest of the paint. I DEFINITELY like the black........

·
Registered
2020 sps ordered 5/20/20
69 Posts
Thanks for the information...I am a little worried too about the oven. There are other paints where you don't have to bake the item, but seems like baking it will make it tougher/last longer?

·
Premium Member
145 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
VHT website outlines a process to cure the paint (when on headers) to bake it to the metal. So with this application, the tipz will never see exhaust tempz as headers will. What I did was just a remedy to get the paint to a certain temp. Nothing fancy or dangerous as long as yur oven fan works well.

·
Super Moderator
2016 SXT Plus Blacktop
17,975 Posts
I've baked painted metal parts in the oven before (pulleys, brackets, etc.), although I did it at 250° and just checked it frequently. Just make sure the paint is dried. I didn't smell anything, and of course many ovens have seen burnt roasts and worse over the years ;)

A Guy

1 - 12 of 12 Posts