Dodge Challenger Forum banner

1 - 19 of 19 Posts

·
Registered
2010 Challenger SE
717 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Decided to take advantage of the nice day here in NE Ohio. I installed my chrome fuel door. A real easy mod to do . What it should have looked like. Then I took it for a quick spin around the block. :redcap:

Attachments

·
Registered
205 Posts
IIRC, you remove two screws from the oem fuel door, then the chrome one pops in w/o the use of any hardware. ours was 3 days old when i put it on. (and then drove it around the block... lol)

·
Administrator
17,155 Posts
The chrome fule door definitely looks much better. :thumbsup:

·
Registered
1,177 Posts
Oh really? It's that easy? I might have to bump this up higher on the mod list! The chrome looks great on your car! I want the black one drake makes for my silver challenger.

·
Registered
4,564 Posts
Oh really? It's that easy? I might have to bump this up higher on the mod list! The chrome looks great on your car! I want the black one drake makes for my silver challenger.
I prefer the all silver Drake fuel door for my silver Challenger, but at $200 I'll go with the OEM option.

·
Registered
4,564 Posts
IIRC, you remove two screws from the oem fuel door, then the chrome one pops in w/o the use of any hardware. ours was 3 days old when i put it on. (and then drove it around the block... lol)
Isn't it necessary to reach behind the wheel opening and squeeze a couple of tabs or something?

·
Registered
2010 Challenger SE
717 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Isn't it necessary to reach behind the wheel opening and squeeze a couple of tabs or something?
I had to reach behind to get the plastic part off the filler neck. I had to remove my rear tire, because I sit lower than stock. Install took about 15 minutes. Too get behind the fender just pull the splash guard/wheel well protector at the bottom and it will pop over the wheel lip. The 2 screws are torx. I used the Torx bit from my Harley tool kit. Worked perfectly. The chrome replacement just pops in,:scratchhead: no screws, it holds itself on on the filler neck. Seems like it should have a screw or two on it, did I miss something?

·
Registered
2010 Challenger SE
717 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
more fuel door pics

Here are a few more pix for you.

Attachments

·
Registered
4,564 Posts
Did you have to go through the wheel opening too? I'm not mechanically inclined so I'm hesitant to remove anything in there. :indifferent:

·
Registered
9,272 Posts
excellent mod :thumbsup:...should come standard on all challengers imo

·
Registered
205 Posts
It's really easy to do don't waste time worrying about it being difficult.

agreed. it a perfect first mod for a SE owner and a great mod for beginners.

if you get it in the box with instructions, the instructions are pretty clear on what is needed. on a skill level of 1-5, this is a 1. its easier than swapping out headlight or taillight bulbs in most cars these days. i just spent 20 minutes changing out a h/l bulb on a '08 expedition... and replacing the bulbs on my '07 wrangler took almost 45 minutes which includes removing the grill....

so, pulling two screws, slipping the fender liner down and poping the oem cover out is super easy.

·
Banned
1,340 Posts
for me this was about a 10 minute install max. very easy to do. Found mine on ebay for about $125.

·
Registered
51 Posts
You can get the installation instructions off of the Mopar parts E store. I am waiting on one with the Mopar logo to replace the original chrome one. If anyone is interested I will be willing to sell it a lot cheaper than OEM, it lists for $180.00. I tried attaching the instructions but I am not sure it worked.

Attachments

·
Registered
302 Posts
The "chrome" fuel door is actually plastic no? or is that just on the SE?

Be it the way of the times or not to overuse plastic, it's the little things like that that bother me. Having the v6 doesn't bother me in the least but things like a plastic "chrome" fuel filler door, non-functional scoops on the hood, or a fake shaker do. It just feels like pretending to have something you don't.

Is the fuel filler door your installing steel because I'm looking for a real one to replace the plastic one. That and fixing the hood scoops are top of my list (behind a magnaflow muffler and single side dual tips).

I'm not going to "pretend" to be a v-8, but everything that is on the car I would like to be "real" and functional.

·
Registered
1,195 Posts
so if the chrome one does not screw on that means anyone could just pop it off?

·
Banned
1,340 Posts
so if the chrome one does not screw on that means anyone could just pop it off?

well, as tight as the rubber grommet around the filler neck fits, it would be a hard pull to get it off. I dont think we will see a hi volume of thefts on the gas cap.

1 - 19 of 19 Posts