Dodge Challenger Forum banner

1 - 19 of 19 Posts

·
Registered
39 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Had to replace a tire the other day. Did it at Les Schwab, total rip off, don't get me started on them. Anyways the guy showed me the rim (still the stock rims I believe. I'm the 2nd owner) and chrome is peeling on the inside where the tire sits. Says it can cause oxidation and pitting in the aluminum which can cause tire leaks. Anyone know if there is any way to fix this?

Also, since I might be in the market for new wheels, does anyone know where I can find this same wheel but in a matte black? I've been searching all over the internet and most either don't have it or say it doesn't fit the 2008 because of the Brembo brake calipers.

Here's a picture of the rim I currently have. Not mine, just took this from the internet.

Attachments

·
Super Moderator
15,376 Posts
Had to replace a tire the other day. Did it at Les Schwab, total rip off, don't get me started on them. Anyways the guy showed me the rim (still the stock rims I believe. I'm the 2nd owner) and chrome is peeling on the inside where the tire sits. Says it can cause oxidation and pitting in the aluminum which can cause tire leaks. Anyone know if there is any way to fix this?

Also, since I might be in the market for new wheels, does anyone know where I can find this same wheel but in a matte black? I've been searching all over the internet and most either don't have it or say it doesn't fit the 2008 because of the Brembo brake calipers.

Here's a picture of the rim I currently have. Not mine, just took this from the internet.
the OEM wheels are not chrome plated - they are forged aluminum with a paint / clearcoat finish.

The previous owner had chrome plating done on them. This is the reason why OEM do not chrome over aluminum - its not stable.

What you're describing is the typical thing where the plating starts to degrade where the bead would seat on the wheel - and it starts to leak.

·
Super Moderator
15,376 Posts
Don't the OEMs have SRT and ALCOA FORGED stamped into them? These don't. This is my wheel attached. Either way, any way to fix the peeling? Or where to find this wheel in black? Thanks
Then you have replicas - probably would have to have the wheel stripped and then painted, if you don't want to go the route of re chroming.

Or hunt around for a set of SRT Alcoa wheels that someone is selling.

·
Premium Member
2,993 Posts
Those look like the replica wheels I bought to put my winter tires on. The reason I bought them is they were the cheapest wheel that would fit at time.

·
Super Moderator
2016 SXT Plus Blacktop
16,875 Posts

·
Registered
39 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
If you are wanting to go black, find a local powder coater and have it done to those wheels.

I think that might be more expensive than buying new ones and I'm not sure if it fixes the problem with the aluminum underneath.

I'm having a hard time finding these in matte black. Or a replica of these in matte black.

·
Registered
39 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
I'm not aware of anyone doing them completely black, but wheel replicas does these. Several vendors sell them.

https://www.discounttire.com/buy-wheels/wheel-replicas-challenger/p/67336

Oh, and I'd discuss Schwab with you, but my phrase I use for them isn't PC. It implies they look like they are flinging poo as they work on cars.
Yeah I've seen those but was more looking for all black. Any idea if a +20 offset would work? Some sites say it'll fit and some won't because of the Brembo's.

And about Les Schwab... I went there because I was losing air in one tire at a decent pace and they were the closest shop. I thought it was just a nail. Expecting to spend about 10 bucks. They showed me the tire and there was a big gash where the side wall and the tread meet. So I had to buy a tire (don't have a spare.). Anyways bought one for 285, went home and searched around and every other place on the face of the Earth sells it for about 180. Hundred bucks difference. My fault for not checking sooner but man they rip people off.

·
Registered
39 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
A little too shiny. I was thinking matte to match the hood stripe. I have a 2008 hemi orange with a black hood stripe.

And I keep running into this problem. "WILL NOT FIT: AWD vehicles. 300C models may require 5mm spacer. Does NOT fit vehicles equipped with upgraded or performance brakes such as Brembo."

I've seen sites say they fit a 2008 but they won't fit with Brembo brake calipers, which came stock on those.

·
Super Moderator
15,376 Posts
I'm not aware of anyone doing them completely black, but wheel replicas does these. Several vendors sell them.

https://www.discounttire.com/buy-wheels/wheel-replicas-challenger/p/67336

Oh, and I'd discuss Schwab with you, but my phrase I use for them isn't PC. It implies they look like they are flinging poo as they work on cars.
Oh yeah, LS - I refer to them as the "kings of up-sell". Go in for brake pads, for example and they talking you into all 4 brake calipers with their "lifetime warranty"...

Pretty soon you're up to $1k or better. If there wasn't a more obvious sign that commissions are based off sales - LS is the place.

·
Premium Member
2,993 Posts
I think those are Factory Reproductions #62 wheels. Available in Satin Black. I have the chrome ones for my winter tires and they clear the Hellcat Brembo brakes.

·
Registered
39 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
I think those are Factory Reproductions #62 wheels. Available in Satin Black. I have the chrome ones for my winter tires and they clear the Hellcat Brembo brakes.
Awesome. Good to know they clear the Brembo brake calipers. That's my biggest concern. But now I'm having fun looking for different styles. Still want satin black, probably 5 spoke, just not sure I want the same wheel anymore. haha. But that's great to know that these clear the brakes. Thanks.

·
Super Moderator
2016 SXT Plus Blacktop
16,875 Posts

·
Registered
39 Posts
Discussion Starter #19
On that site if you select Dodge-2008, it doesn't even list Challenger. I've came across this a few times were sites will only have wheels for Challengers from 2009 up.

The six piston Hellcat Brembos are harder to find wheels that clear them. I did test fit some of the OEM Alcoa wheels on the front of my 2015 392 (same as Hellcat), and they cleared, but it was pretty damn close. I wasn't aware of it being difficult to find 20" wheels that cleared on the earlier Brembos.

As waumo said, https://factoryreproductions.com/shop/dodge/dodge-challenger-srt8/
I'm not even sure if it is difficult to find 20" wheels that'll clear the earlier Brembos or not. On multiple sites I've put in the make, model and year; it'll list a bunch of wheels that'll fit that car, and then when I select one it says in fine print, "will not fit with performance brakes, such as Brembo." So I'm pretty damn confused at this point.

1 - 19 of 19 Posts