Dodge Challenger Forum banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I am not really digging the chrome rings on the speedometer gauge cluster. Anyone know of a place that has trim overlays or is there a way of removing them and painting? I was thinking either just going with black or possibly paint them orange to match my car. I have a few orange interior trim pieces I was going to install so maybe orange would look good.

Thanks

GenralB
2014 Header Orange Challenger R/T 6-Speed, Solo Performance Auto Exhaust, JLT Color Matched Cold Air Intake, CNC 87mm Ported Throttle Body, 180 Degree Motorad Thermostat, Speedlogix Catch Can, Diablo Trinity, Hemi Fever Tune, H&R Lowering Springs , Orange Hemi Engine Cover, Color Matched Petty’s Garage Strut Tower Brace, Billet Technologies Engine Dress Kit, 20% Rear & 30% Front Window Tint, Color Matched Front Grille Surround, Superbird Rear Taillight Overlays, Matte Black 20” Classic Wheels, Orange Color Matched Wheel Bands, MGP Color Matched Caliper Covers, Drake Black Fuel Door, Matte Black Decals, Mr. Norms Pistol Grip Sifter

·
Registered
860 Posts
Can't help you, but I would like to know the same thing. I think painting them orange would look good on your car. I've seen posters on this forum have painted theirs, but don't know how they did it. Hopefully, they will see this thread. I hope they just pop off somehow, I don't have the nerve to pull the whole dash piece out.

·
Premium Member
3,337 Posts
Chrome Rings On Gauge Cluster

The rings themselves have tabs on them and they latch on the gauge cluster. That is secured in with screws that you get at by first removing the bottom panel under the steering column, then the upper. It is all easy enough. Had mine down and teh chrome rings and vent covers done in Hemi orange (car color) to add some color to the interior. They all came out real well and took out that shiny crap.

Attachments

·
Registered
860 Posts
The rings themselves have tabs on them and they latch on the gauge cluster. That is secured in with screws that you get at by first removing the bottom panel under the steering column, then the upper. It is all easy enough. Had mine down and teh chrome rings and vent covers done in Hemi orange (car color) to add some color to the interior. They all came out real well and took out that shiny crap.
That looks awesome!

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Gauge Rings

Looks Great! Thanks for the info and pictures.

·
Premium Member
4,364 Posts
Looks great. Never even thought about doing this.

·
Premium Member
3,337 Posts
Thanks folks. It's an easy mod and has great results.

·
Registered
413 Posts
Thanks folks. It's an easy mod and has great results.
If anyone does this can they please post a how to I want to do his so bad but with out some good direction I don't have the confidence to pull these out

·
Registered
413 Posts
no one else has tried this and has input on how to remove these rings?:42:

·
Registered
31 Posts
Remove the drivers door threshold (unsnaps, no screws)

remove the plastic piece in the door channel that runs the legnth of the dash (unsnaps, no screws)

remove the kick pan (unsnaps plus 1 screw)

remove the panel under the steering wheel (2 screws on lower side, the rest unsnaps)

remove gauge panel (2 lower screws and the rest unsnaps) use a thin plastic trim removal tool - start prying in the upper left and upper right corners of the panel and work your way around the panel

When the panel is removed you will see that the tubes (where the chrome rings are attached) are held in with tabs that are plastic welded to the outer panel. Grind the plastic welds down with a dremel tool and gently pry them away from the mounting bosses (there are several of them). Make sure you have some super glue handy as you'll probably snap a few of them off. Unsnap the chrome rings from the tubes and paint them.

Once painted, snap the rings back on the tubes and re-weld the plastic tabs with a 25 watt pencil soldering iron.

Reassemble in reverse order....

If any of this sounds uncomfortable to you, don't attempt it. I did mine in red....
[/URL][/IMG]
[/URL][/IMG]

·
Premium Member
4,364 Posts
LOVE the look. Not sure I want to attempt it though.

·
Registered
828 Posts
What kind of paint did you use??? It turned out awesome!!!

1 - 13 of 13 Posts