Dodge Challenger Forum banner

1 - 20 of 66 Posts

·
Registered
1,038 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Has anyone added chrome trim to their tail light surrounds? I think it looks descent. Even the 1970 has this chrome trim. I would be worried about the tail lights not lining up correctly. I have see some mods with a piece in the center of the tail lights and that also looks ok, but I think this trim is a nice touch.

A little chrome looks so good on black, just getting a feeler for thoughts.

Attachments

·
Registered
438 Posts
I like it but I went this way.

·
Banned
675 Posts
I added the chrome trim to tailights and really like it. I also added the chrome surrounds to sidelights. Here are a couple of pictures. I did it because I am going for a retro look on my car.
cool car man

·
Registered
1,038 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
I added the chrome trim to tailights and really like it. I also added the chrome surrounds to sidelights. Here are a couple of pictures. I did it because I am going for a retro look on my car.
Yeah great looking car! The white letters on the tires is also a nice touch. Where did you get your chrome trim? Is it real stainless steel? Easy to put on? I think I am going to add this to my mod show list.

·
Premium Member
269 Posts
Yeah great looking car! The white letters on the tires is also a nice touch. Where did you get your chrome trim? Is it real stainless steel? Easy to put on? I think I am going to add this to my mod show list.
Thanks man. It is real stainless....would not put plastic crap on there. Bit of a pain to get lined up, but if you prep it right, no problems with adhesive. Mine have been on almost 2 years without issue.
I think I got it from RPI designs. But a lot of the vendors sell the same trim items so its not hard to find.

·
Registered
585 Posts
cuda your car is one of my favorites!!! well done dude, love the white lettering on the tires!!

·
Registered
438 Posts
Cuda love the lettering on the tires, did you fill it in and if so how; or were you able to buy that way?

·
Premium Member
269 Posts
cuda your car is one of my favorites!!! well done dude, love the white lettering on the tires!!
Thanks man. I appreciate that.

"Cuda love the lettering on the tires, did you fill it in and if so how; or were you able to buy that way?"

I filled them in. I have been trying to get a combination of paint, ect. to stick to these 20" tires since I have had the car. These particular tires have grooves inside the lettering so it seems to hold the paint better after prep then just a smoother surface (ie. RSA's) scratched with sandpaper. Still working on it though.

·
Registered
681 Posts
72CUDA,
I will see you at ChallengerFest2. Trim looks very retro. Me likey!
I saw you have a Cuda in the garage, too. Same as me.
Gotta love it!

·
Registered
1,038 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
Doesn't this chrome trim hide the reflectors built in to the tail lights?
SSX brings up a good point. I have seen a picture taken of the tail lights at night and only the outer edge of the tail lights reflect in the picture. Like they are lit up. This is right where the chrome trim goes. I guess this could pose a threat being on the side of the road at night with no lights on. Any thoughts on this?

·
Registered
474 Posts
I have always though the “new” Challenger would look great with redline or raised white letter tires. Kind of hard to do with the lower profiles but oh how cool.

The trim does lay over the reflective areas of the tail lights that is required by law in many, if not all, states. In some states, if you had a real strict safety inspector the car would not be passed. This assumes the inspector really knows the regulations of the state and most of the time all they care about is that the lights work and the brake lights and signals work.

·
Premium Member
269 Posts
72CUDA,
I will see you at ChallengerFest2. Trim looks very retro. Me likey!
I saw you have a Cuda in the garage, too. Same as me.
Gotta love it!
Looking very forward to meeting everyone at Challengerfest....going be a great time. Most of the older tailights had some sort of chrome trim around them...the Challengers and Barracudas sure did. I just like the look. Although I had no idea that the trim covered the reflective part of the tailights. Love those 'Cudas

·
Registered
220 Posts
rt66er, is that the Retro USA kit? If so, how do you assess the quality and expected longevity of the product? I am toying with the idea of front & rear surrounds like what you have.

1 - 20 of 66 Posts