Dodge Challenger Forum banner

Chrome tail light surround trim thoughts

27K views 65 replies 38 participants last post by  Ts10r/t 
#1 ·
Has anyone added chrome trim to their tail light surrounds? I think it looks descent. Even the 1970 has this chrome trim. I would be worried about the tail lights not lining up correctly. I have see some mods with a piece in the center of the tail lights and that also looks ok, but I think this trim is a nice touch.

A little chrome looks so good on black, just getting a feeler for thoughts.

Attachments

See less See more
#8 ·
cuda your car is one of my favorites!!! well done dude, love the white lettering on the tires!!

#10 ·
Thanks man. I appreciate that.

"Cuda love the lettering on the tires, did you fill it in and if so how; or were you able to buy that way?"

I filled them in. I have been trying to get a combination of paint, ect. to stick to these 20" tires since I have had the car. These particular tires have grooves inside the lettering so it seems to hold the paint better after prep then just a smoother surface (ie. RSA's) scratched with sandpaper. Still working on it though.

#9 ·
Cuda love the lettering on the tires, did you fill it in and if so how; or were you able to buy that way?

#14 ·
SSX brings up a good point. I have seen a picture taken of the tail lights at night and only the outer edge of the tail lights reflect in the picture. Like they are lit up. This is right where the chrome trim goes. I guess this could pose a threat being on the side of the road at night with no lights on. Any thoughts on this?

#15 ·
I have always though the “new” Challenger would look great with redline or raised white letter tires. Kind of hard to do with the lower profiles but oh how cool.

The trim does lay over the reflective areas of the tail lights that is required by law in many, if not all, states. In some states, if you had a real strict safety inspector the car would not be passed. This assumes the inspector really knows the regulations of the state and most of the time all they care about is that the lights work and the brake lights and signals work.

#20 ·
rt66er, is that the Retro USA kit? If so, how do you assess the quality and expected longevity of the product? I am toying with the idea of front & rear surrounds like what you have.

#21 ·
rt66er, is that the Retro USA kit? If so, how do you assess the quality and expected longevity of the product? I am toying with the idea of front & rear surrounds like what you have.
No, it's just the chrome stick-on trim you buy at the parts store. I had to put down two layers. One layer of 3/4-inch wide and then a layer of 1/2-inch wide over that. I wrapped it around the outside edge of the tail light lense, so what you're actually seeing is the edge of the chrome trim. I'll try to post a better photo later in case anyone is interested in this technique.

#24 ·
That looks so damn good, it looks stock. Plus you are not covering up the reflectors...bonus. Please more detail where did you get the trim and a little write up on how you put it on and cut it. So much better than the trim that goes on the front of the tail light surrounds like in the pic I post in the I initial thread. Thai you for the close up shots.

#25 ·
I pulled the tail light ends out, makes them easier to do. I bought a roll of 3/4-inch chrome molding and a roll of 1/2-inch chrome molding at Pep Boys. Clean the surface and trim a nice straight edge before starting at an end. Lay down the 3/4-inch molding, pressing down firmly as you work around the lense. I cut a piece about an inch too long, then trim the end after application. I ended on the bottom, so the final trim is in a place not as visible. After applying the 3/4-inch molding, just repeat with the 1/2-inch molding right over the top. Took me about an hour or so and cost around $30.

#31 ·
yes there seems to be 3 ways of doing this so far.
1) buying the stainless trim from some vendors here, about $150. It will cover the front reflectors.
2) rt66er way with buying the 3/4" and 1/2" chrome trim from Pepboys and overlapping the trim pieces and applying it to the top of the tail light, about $50. I guess you could also just buy the 1/2" trim and apply it.
3)skulmn way with buying the 3/8" chrome trim from Pepboys or O'rileys and apply it to the front of the tail light, about less than $20. This will also cover the reflectors.

#34 ·
I'm on the fence about it. I can appreciate the retro look that it brings, but I love the clean look of the new. Just don't know. Sorry.

I guess I would have to see it in person to really appreciate it.

Jorge

#39 ·
I think all the options look great.
I've noticed my left light is slightly lower than my middle section. Is there some way to make minor vertical adjustments to any of the three light sections? I'm afraid adding the chrome trim would highlight my misalignment and would want to correct it first if possible.

#49 ·
Here is how to fix this problem!

I think all the options look great.
I've noticed my left light is slightly lower than my middle section. Is there some way to make minor vertical adjustments to any of the three light sections? I'm afraid adding the chrome trim would highlight my misalignment and would want to correct it first if possible.
I bought the one's from CarID and after the install I noticed that center section was way off (1/4 inch) too high as compared to the side lights, found out that the easiest way to fix it was to just adjust the inside latch that has two screws, just loosen the two screw a bit and just get a small ball pen hammer and use the "handle" to knock it down a little at a time and check the alignment of the lights until you get it even, tighten the two screws then it is good to go! Five min. tops...............
I asked the same question on this forum and was told that I need to re-adjust the lights themselves, this way is the best and simplest way of getting the correct results.........

David

#40 ·
I got the trex taillight trim from Carid a while ago, after I installed the trim something didn't look right to me. What it was is the trim didn't cover the top and sides of the light just the outer ridge on the front of the light bar and imo it looked half assed. So what I did is i went and got some plastidip(never used the stuff before but read about it on here and decided to try it) removed the tail light assemblys from the car, masked off the chrome trim and sprayed the plastidip. After a few coats and i reinstalled the lights it blended the the black plastic surround and made it look right.
Here's a few pics
Before chrome trim

After chrome trim

After plastidip

#45 ·
added more chrome today around wheel welds and across top of rocker covers.put chrome around headlights and grille,also fixed all the r/t emblems with some black they had too much red,looks more retro
Looks good.

What size did you use for the headlight surrounds and the wheel arches?

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.