Dodge Challenger Forum banner

1 - 20 of 86 Posts

·
Registered
1,363 Posts
This would be great if the Car Gods are watching. Fiat kills Chrysler. American investors or some entity reanimates PLYMOUTH name brand. They keep making Challengers/Chargers and the new Barracuda. I could live with that! Goodbye Fiat crap.

Reactions: georgethedog

·
Premium Member
2,874 Posts
With just 2 models.... and I know of 2 Chrysler dealers who are taking $10,000 off new 300's. Always sad.

·
Registered
195 Posts
I would say there's a great chance of this happening tomorrow or in the near future. They will probably roll the Pacifica into the Dodge brand and in all likelihood axe the 300 sedan. As Ford has shown lately even the Taurus, Fusion and Focus are expendable as sedans aren't selling like hotcakes nowadays. I think the Charger will weather the storm for now and will surely take place of any 300C buyers, if they don't venture elsewhere. The Pacifica will transition back into into the Grand Caravan - if this segment does survive, which I think it will because there is still demand for the minivan (which was Chrysler's breakout platform) and which Ford and Chevy ditched for sublime crossovers. I would be surprised if the minivan ends here and Charger for that matter.

·
Registered
2,005 Posts
"A source told a European colleague..." huh? Well shit, I guess we'll find out Friday. I really hope not, it wasn't very long ago that they invested a ton of money into the new Pacifica, along with dealer training and new special tools for the hybrids. The 300 is a dated but great car, and deserves an investment as well. They say cars don't sell and crossovers are the flavor of the month? Fine, then give Chrysler a crossover. Base it off the Pacifica or rebadge one of the Fiat Jeeps, whatever. At least try and allow time before pulling the plug on an American icon.

So what would the C in FCA stand for?

·
Registered
14,415 Posts
It will probably happen, they'll kill the 300 and look for another model or two to be built at Brampton, this has been considered for a couple years now. I always liked the 300 but does FCA need two large sedans or could that assembly line be better utilized.

Sent from my SM-N920T using Tapatalk

·
Registered
871 Posts
I really hope not. It will be a sad day in my household. We never owned a Chrysler, as a working class family dad's sedans were Plymouths and later a Dodge or two.
I had more established relatives that had new Chrysler Newports back in the late 70s and a neighbour across the street with a massive black 2 door New Yorker. Such decadence, I loved getting rides to grade school the odd time in that literal land yacht!

Chrysler the innovator. An American legend. How much more could it take, Daimler robbed it to support its poor quality sedans in the 90s, Cerebrus was ready to gut it, Fiat rescued it only to then spend money on poor selling Italian nameplates. And hardly a new Chrysler model.

Yes it had its problems but there was a time when Chrysler was quality, innovation and luxury.

·
Registered
3,338 Posts
Desoto, Plymouth now Chrysler. Damn shame... Anybody remember Eagle?
Eagle wasn't even really Chrysler, it was what Chrsyler called AMC after they acquired them. Eagle Talons were cool cars even though they were just a rebadged Mitsubishi Eclipse. Then again, the Dodge Stealth was just a rebadged Mitsubishi 3000GT. The Stealths were cool cars too.

·
Registered
1,549 Posts
"Real Corinthian leather..." Ricardo Mantiban must be rolling in his grave.
I do believe the Cordoba had "Rich Corinthian leather".

Writing's been on the wall on this one ever since the 200 went away. Chrysler has nothing to offer that's not already in one of FCA's other lines. 300 was never going to approach Lincoln, Cadillac or even Buick level of quality and couldn't be mentioned in the same room with the Euro-luxury sedans.

If they merge Alfa and Mazz and axe Chrysler, I think that bodes well for the Dodge name. Plymouth isn't coming back.

·
Registered
4,564 Posts
Eagle wasn't even really Chrysler, it was what Chrsyler called AMC after they acquired them. Eagle Talons were cool cars even though they were just a rebadged Mitsubishi Eclipse. Then again, the Dodge Stealth was just a rebadged Mitsubishi 3000GT. The Stealths were cool cars too.
The Mitsubishi 3000GT/Dodge Stealth with the DOHC 24V twin-turbo were damn good cars for the time. I recall that the Stealth was going to pace a NASCAR race, but people were up in arms because it was a Japanese product.

"Real Corinthian leather..." Ricardo Mantiban must be rolling in his grave.
I do believe the Cordoba had "Rich Corinthian leather".

Writing's been on the wall on this one ever since the 200 went away. Chrysler has nothing to offer that's not already in one of FCA's other lines. 300 was never going to approach Lincoln, Cadillac or even Buick level of quality and couldn't be mentioned in the same room with the Euro-luxury sedans.
The Imperial could've been brought back as the ultra-luxury Chrysler halo car to compete with Lincoln & Cadillac, with the 300 being modernized to compete with Buick. Though it doesn't matter now.

:disappointed:

·
Registered
2015 Challenger Scat Pack
1,924 Posts
Reality is FCA has 4 things going for it, Ram, Jeep, Minivan, and Challenger and that's really about it. However you want to name it or brand it that's what it is.

·
Registered
4,564 Posts
Reality is FCA has 4 things going for it, Ram, Jeep, Minivan, and Challenger and that's really about it. However you want to name it or brand it that's what it is.
Actually, that's not completely accurate. The real moneymakers are Jeep & Ram. While profit is being made - or they wouldn't exist - from minivans (due to fleet sales) & Dodge (due to the dated 12 year old platform) the amount pales in comparison.

·
Registered
1,924 Posts
Actually, that's not completely accurate. The real moneymakers are Jeep & Ram. While profit is being made - or they wouldn't exist - from minivans (due to fleet sales) & Dodge (due to the dated 12 year old platform) the amount pales in comparison.
Well I did include those. MY point was that was the 4 things it has going, minivan/pacifica is big. Challenger works just due to how it competes with other like segments and the fact that its a flag ship car. You can pretty much take everything else off the board and keep those 4 and dodges luck wouldn't change for the better or worse.

·
Registered
4,564 Posts
Well I did include those. MY point was that was the 4 things it has going, minivan/pacifica is big. Challenger works just due to how it competes with other like segments and the fact that its a flag ship car. You can pretty much take everything else off the board and keep those 4 and dodges luck wouldn't change for the better or worse.
The Charger must be included, because without it there's no Challenger.

·
Registered
1,924 Posts
The Charger must be included, because without it there's no Challenger.
Yeah I was going to list it as Charger/Challenger. But I would argue challenger would do fine with out Charger, at this point one doesn't need the other. Much like Stang doesn't need Taurus, although I get the point charger and challenger share a lot of similarities.

1 - 20 of 86 Posts