Dodge Challenger Forum banner

81 - 86 of 86 Posts

·
Premium Member
3,234 Posts
When you say taxes are high there can you give an example? There’s all different expensives around the USA.
In N J my property taxes are $1685 per month.

There's a web site that shows tax rates for each State. AZ is higher for some taxes and lower for other's. But ALL taxes used to be low here. I left, or as I like to refer to it, escaped, N.J. coincidentally, in 1966. Ended up in AZ in 1969. Back then sales tax was 3%, no income tax, low property tax, a few dollars to register a car, low land costs (you could buy ponderosa pine forested land cheap enough for mobile home owner's to afford in Flagstaff, now, million dollar properties), freedom to do anything, go anywhere and not be charged a fee. That was when there were only a few million people in the State. Phoenix population was 565,000. Now Phoenix metro area is 4.5 million alone. Yet with the low taxes and few people paying those taxes we had good roads, schools, hospitals and no traffic. Now after half of New York and California moved here, we have crap infrastructure and almost 10% sales tax, income tax, $600-$800 to register a new car, my property is worth $130k and my taxes are $2200 year (yes yours are insane but I'll bet yours is worth much more than mine) I had to hand over $4500 for the privilege of moving from one side of town to the other, called an "impact fee" (I hear it's $6k now) and a fee to do anything except breathe, plus higher gas tax and traffic ticket fines that are designed simply to move as much revenue to government as possible ($400 for driving in an HOV lane, $500 littering fine, multi hundreds for moving violations). I have no idea where the money goes from all this. N.J. taxes may be higher all around but your State is an anomaly. I believe N.J. is the highest taxed State in the Country. My frustration comes from knowing what a great State this once was to live in.

·
Registered
1,363 Posts
I have a cousin who first moved to Gilbert AZ into a brand new house, got foreclosed on during the 2008 market crash. He wanted to modify his mortgage, the bank said NO. His lawyer told him to "F" the bank and leave the keys on the table and walk away from the house. He tried to negotiate and the bank wouldn't. He immediately bought into another (better) brand new home in Mesa AZ and his credit wasn't harmed , not one bit. Millions of other people did the same . I was complaining to him about Long Island taxes ( home $13,800) a year , $6000 electric etc etc., two days later I received a 10 pound box in the mail with all of the Arizona real estate books. Like everyone says, "Its a dry heat!". If I sell my home for $600k on Long island, I can find a beautiful home somewhere in Arizona. I may visit the area , this summer and start looking. 5 years away from retirement and I am starting my exit strategy from NY.

·
Registered
2019 Sublime Shaker and 2010 Detonator Yellow R/T Classic
1,893 Posts
and I thought Connecticut was the "tax me State" lol!!! It definitely costs more to live in the North East, heck it's becoming the great migration movement because of the living expenses up here.

·
Registered
1,549 Posts
I relocated after it was the 10th straight day of 100+ temperature, I had been drinking half the day & ended up at St. Mary's Hospital burn unit. It's a story for another time though...

:grin2:
I was in Tucson in the summer of '87 when we had 99 consecutive days at or above 100, then one day at 99 and then 30 more over 100. Then it snowed 3 inches on Christmas Eve that same year. White Christmas in Tucson. Will never forget it.

·
Registered
4,564 Posts
I was in Tucson in the summer of '87 when we had 99 consecutive days at or above 100, then one day at 99 and then 30 more over 100. Then it snowed 3 inches on Christmas Eve that same year. White Christmas in Tucson. Will never forget it.
Yeah, I would've checked out long before that heatwave was over. :scatter:

81 - 86 of 86 Posts