Dodge Challenger Forum banner

1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
675 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
Back in 2004 a prototype was built in one year, and scheduled for production in 2006.
2 seater with a mid engined V-12 Mercedes, quad turboed, 850 bhp, sleek sport monster! Top speed 240 mph,
0-100...6.2 seconds, quarter mile...10.6 @ 135.
Go to: allpar.com and click on ME-412 under "New Features" to see what could have been a "World Class" Chrysler
automobile...sad

·
Registered
675 Posts
Discussion Starter #3 (Edited)
Thanks for the picture Mikey! Actually, it was beyond concept, it was a Chrysler prototype, built and tested in one year, ready for production in two years. Bump... For everyone else to check out. Go take a look at the story. Well worth your time. Comments?

·
Registered
675 Posts
Discussion Starter #5 (Edited)
Touche'... 240 MPH...mid engine...quad turbo... 10.6 quarter...Viper wishes!!! Corvette dreams!!!, Just say'in!
What does "IMO" mean...Saw your other post about "LOL". Still speculating as to what both mean! Ha! Ha!
Oh wait! I think I got it!... IMO - In my opinion?... LOL- lots of luck? At any rate IMO... I think this Chrysler blows the other two off the map.
But thanks for your opinion (TFYO)!!! AND your former 392 resting at AMP!!!

·
Super Moderator
15,350 Posts
It would have been in the price range of the Ford GT (MSRP was $149.9K) and over that models two year run just over 4,000 produced.
The GT was based around their existing modular 4.6/5.4 engine family with heads closely similar to the Mustang SVT Cobra with Lysholm twin screw supercharger topping off that engine.

Couple that with the additional cost of the quad turbo V12 'Benz engine - it would have probably bumped up the price that much more. For a company the size of Chrysler, they would have never recouped the tooling and development.

(corrected)
As it stands over the 22 year run of the Viper, they've barely reach 30,000 units produced to date. And Vipers have been more expensive than Corvettes and sell at significantly lower quantities. The Viper today starts @ $104K (base) before adding options...

For contrast, GM has averaged 35K Corvettes per year, although sales dropped off a bit during the recession.

1,931 Posts
Touche'... 240 MPH...mid engine...quad turbo... 10.6 quarter...Viper wishes!!! Corvette dreams!!!, Just say'in!
What does "IMO" mean...Saw your other post about "LOL". Still speculating as to what both mean! Ha! Ha!
Oh wait! I think I got it!... IMO - In my opinion?... LOL- lots of luck? At any rate IMO... I think this Chrysler blows the other two off the map.
But thanks for your opinion (TFYO)!!! AND your former 392 resting at AMP!!!
YAW....IT..........:tausch:

1,931 Posts
It would have been in the price range of the Ford GT (MSRP was $149.9K) and over that models two year run just over 4,000 produced.
The GT was based around their existing modular 4.6/5.4 engine family with heads closely similar to the Mustang SVT Cobra with Lysholm twin screw supercharger topping off that engine.

Couple that with the additional cost of the quad turbo V12 'Benz engine - it would have probably bumped up the price that much more. For a company the size of Chrysler, they would have never recouped the tooling and development.

(corrected)
As it stands over the 22 year run of the Viper, they've barely reach 30,000 units produced to date. And Vipers have been more expensive than Corvettes and sell at significantly lower quantities. The Viper today starts @ $104K (base) before adding options...

For contrast, GM has averaged 35K Corvettes per year, although sales dropped off a bit during the recession.

There is a reason GM sells 35K vettes a year....they offer auto and a standard vette that sells for less than half of what a the cheapest Viper sells.....the standard vette doesnt compete with the Viper...Z06 (current) and ZR1 are Viper competition...How many ZR1s did GM sell?..

·
Premium Member
1,956 Posts

(corrected)

Hal, a few years ago (I don't quite remember the date--maybe 2008) the 25,000th Viper was sold. Did you mean 3,000 for this year? Just checking. Here is the breakdown in case anyone is interested:

http://www.theviperstore.com/Information_Viper_Production_Stats.htm

·
Super Moderator
13,849 Posts
Too bad they didn't build it. It would have roasted anything Detroit was building at the time.

I guess Mercedes killed it because of the poor financial condition of Chrysler in 2004 and the fact that Dodge already had the Viper.

·
Super Moderator
15,350 Posts
There is a reason GM sells 35K vettes a year....they offer auto and a standard vette that sells for less than half of what a the cheapest Viper sells.....the standard vette doesnt compete with the Viper...Z06 (current) and ZR1 are Viper competition...How many ZR1s did GM sell?....
They certainly sell a lot more Z06 models than Vipers.

And yes the ZR1 is low volume - its another $100k sports car. American makes at those prices don't sell in volume.

A lot of buyers look overseas when you get into that price territory. Porsche, Audi R8, Ferrari, etc.

·
Super Moderator
15,350 Posts
Hal, a few years ago (I don't quite remember the date--maybe 2008) the 25,000th Viper was sold. Did you mean 3,000 for this year? Just checking. Here is the breakdown in case anyone is interested:

http://www.theviperstore.com/Information_Viper_Production_Stats.htm
I slipped a decimal place should ~ 30,000. Even then, some years were a couple to a few hundred.

Its the SRT halo model, so they'll keep building it, but the numbers are extremely low either way you look at it.

Recall that during Cerberus' ownership of Chrysler they put the Viper tooling up for sale but had no takers.

It was almost over with in 2009 until Fiat took over the company - they decided to revamp the Viper and improve on the areas where it needed to stay more competitive.

·
Registered
531 Posts
Eh.. Looks like a European version of a Ford GT with wheels off a Chrysler Sebring.

·
Registered
675 Posts
Discussion Starter #16 (Edited)
You Have To Remember...This was 10 Years Ago...

MB had spent millions on the McLaren (an absolutely beautiful car) and the boys at Chrysler had sort of, well really, very badly embarrassed them with a; one year, one million dollar kick ass prototype with virtual "off the shelf" components vehicle, that destroyed the McLaren. It was slick, it was cool, and it was better. Good to know that the engineering brains are still lurking at Chrysler! In reference to the market (+$), This car would not have been in the same as Corvette and Viper at the time, true. However, when I say "World Class" it is by my own criteria for vehicles that set themselves apart from all others, with legitimate performance and engineering advances...one of which is top speed. Anything that can well exceed 200 MPH, not just 200, but 220 - 230 - 240 - + (and go around corners, AND have a license plate on it), sets themselves apart from the rest of the pack. Make no mistake, big fan of Corvette and Viper, but this "ME4-12" was on an entirely new platform...a forward looking and successful application of engineering excellence. It just may have been time to replace Viper in 2006, as...been there, done that. Actually Viper with lots of options is now in the the $140,000 price range.
Oh by the way, the boys at MB have not been sitting back with the McLaren. The new McLaren P1 hosts a price tag of about $1,100,000.00 (think i have enough zeroes), that is one million one hundred thousand dollars (US). All 217, 2013 models were sold out ( $238,700,000.00...it appears that there is a market) It is powered by a 3.8 liter twin turbo V-8 ( 722 BHP ), AND a 176 HP electric motor. You can run on the electric in town (very limited range - 6 miles), or combine the two for a total of 903 HP...The electric (in conjunction with internal combustion engine), fills in the micro second intervals between shifts and assists while the turbos spool up, and then just teams up for a top speed (electronically limited) of 217 MPH + +. Additionally, some interesting numbers: !/4 mile...9.8 @ 152 MPH...722 FPT.
But, Not To Worry...the race continues. Honda is bringing back the "NSX" (new experimental sports car) These guys are never at rest. Back in the 60's, I had the experience of seeing the Honda Formula 1 cars run in the "Grand Prix of The United States" series at Watkins Glenn, N.Y. Although twisty and thru the woods, you always knew when the Honda's were coming. Everyone else was running about 10,000 RPM and then came the Honda's...14,000 RPM...
sounded like "Singer Sewing Machines". They kicked everyone's butts for two years, and went home...to build. The new "NXS" was scheduled for production in 2015, but has been set back due to current Honda sales figures. HOWEVER, it features three (3) electric motors, one at each front wheel (with independent torque vectoring), and an additional between the 3.5 liter - biturboed V-6 internal combustion engine (guesstimated at 500 HP) and the 7 or 8 speed dual disc clutch auto trans.
I love it!!!

1 - 16 of 16 Posts