1 - 20 of 35 Posts

·
Registered
102 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Check this out:

http://www.autoweek.com/apps/pbcs.dll/article?AID=/20060424/FREE/60424004/1041

Sounds mighty fine to me, guys...especially:

The Chrysler group thinks it has created a viable business case for turning the Dodge Challenger concept into reality.

and...

(about the question if the Challenger could be a viable & sustainable business case)
"I think we are fairly comfortable now that we have found a formula where we think we can sustain it" profitably for several years, said Eberhardt, who was interviewed at the New York auto show this month.

Allright, what's your $0.02 on this article ???

·
Registered
257 Posts
"Fairly comfortable", "Found a formula". Come on already!! Just drop in a 392 and directions to the nearest tire store!!! He He He. Is anyone out there going to use the Challenger every day to go to work,etc.? I'm talkin' 15,000 miles a year. So I don't think the gas price issue is an issue at all. Gimme Fuel. Gimme Fire. Gimme that which I desire.

·
Registered
48 Posts
I would be using it as my "fun" car. Take it to work a few times a month, drive it on the weekends, take it on dates... So I will be using it often I hope, but not a daily driver. Now just waiting for the release date...

·
Registered
27 Posts
GottahaveaHemi said:
I would be using it as my "fun" car. Take it to work a few times a month, drive it on the weekends, take it on dates... So I will be using it often I hope, but not a daily driver. Now just waiting for the release date...
That is pretty much my plan also, with the exception of "take it on dates". Which leads to one of my major issues right now. I'm married, have a 4 year old daughter and we're in the process of adopting a baby girl from China:D. How in the hell can I justify $40k for a 3rd car, part-time fun mobile? I am constantly thinking of ways to pull this off, because I cannot stop obsessing about this car. I don't care if I have to go up to my eyeballs in debt (hey, it's the American way), I truly have to own this car (especially if it comes out in Sublime). My wife thinks I am certifiably insane. Am I the only guy with these kinds of issues on here?:confused: It seems like everyone else has their hand on the checkbook, waiting for the word.

·
Registered
71 Posts
I wouldnt use it as my daily driver, but i would drive it everyday that it wasnt raining or snowing , on all nice days, but i wont be driving my 77 monte carlo everyday either, Give me a pos ugly rice burner toyota or honda for the everyday bs but i will get this Challenger and drive it as much as i can

·
Banned
91 Posts
It's just not logical to do a limited production Challenger, the Dodge passenger car lines except the Viper all go from mild to wild. It would be like making the SRT-8 the only Charger or 300C. The whole purpose of those cars is to create a halo effect for the cheaper versions. Market share and numbers will make the Challenger a success, not seeing one once a month on the street like a Ferrari. Dodge is a mass market manufacturer and just about every vehicle is designed to see in numbers.

·
Registered
184 Posts
RamRon said:
That is pretty much my plan also, with the exception of "take it on dates". Which leads to one of my major issues right now. I'm married, have a 4 year old daughter and we're in the process of adopting a baby girl from China:D. How in the hell can I justify $40k for a 3rd car, part-time fun mobile? I am constantly thinking of ways to pull this off, because I cannot stop obsessing about this car. I don't care if I have to go up to my eyeballs in debt (hey, it's the American way), I truly have to own this car (especially if it comes out in Sublime). My wife thinks I am certifiably insane. Am I the only guy with these kinds of issues on here?:confused: It seems like everyone else has their hand on the checkbook, waiting for the word.
It certainly looks like they intend to boutique the car. If this happens 90% of us will never see the inside of one since our local Dodge dealers will turn into Barret Jackson. Who is going to be able to stand toe to toe with the high wheelers looking for instant collectables?

·
Registered
174 Posts
If they can't produce it in fairly high numbers, I don't doubt that it will go the way of the Viper. When it was announced, it was to compete with the Corvette, but by the time it showed up in production, it was an upmarket supercar. Because of the limited production, dealers acted as if they had just struck oil in their showrooms.

·
Registered
102 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
RamRon said:
I am looking fwd to have one in Sublime/Limelight too.
And yup, my wife thinks I am absolutely crazy for wanting one. But the reason is different: I have a new car (actually fairly new now), it's a retro styled muscle car (the only one in the market right now: the Mustang) and she likes it a lot.
But she knows (sport/sporty) cars are my only real hobby and at the end, I will get it.
So my suggestion is: hang in there ! Don't let anyone take your dream away from you.

·
Registered
20 Posts
Well, looks like they are going to shoot it right out from under the working joe!:mad:
Priced over the Mustang? They are going to put it in land where the GTO died (and BMW's etc live) They definitely missed the boat on what the original Challenger was. A cheap well built car, with a V8 for the MASSES! Not just the guy who can afford 3 cars. Pity, looks like they are going to have to count me out at that rate.:(

·
Registered
1,371 Posts
BarracudaBoy said:
No, you're not! I am really miffed about it to!:mad: I'm an Enlisted joe in the U.S. Army stuck in Iraq with a child support payment, and second wife and kid. I used to own a 1970 Barracuda and LOVED it! I had hope that I might be able to swing a smaller V8 powered challenger payment and use my GSXR 750 motorcycle on the nice days for gas savings. But that hope is looking pretty dim now that they decided that they are going for the well off instead of the average joe like I had hoped. Doesn't anyone remember the original Plymouth Road Runner's formula for success?:( Am I alone here or what? Guess I'll be back the garage wrenching on my project 64 nova to get my V8 kicks. I feel ya man!;)
you are not alone my friend. i wrote dodge an email similar to your argument. that may be the only way to let them hear us. they'll also hear us loud and clear when only the few rich guys who want another toy buy the challenger because no one else can afford it.

·
Registered
20 Posts
RamRon said:
No, you're not! I am really miffed about it to!:mad: I'm an Enlisted joe in the U.S. Army stuck in Iraq with a child support payment, and second wife and kid. I used to own a 1970 Barracuda and LOVED it! I had hope that I might be able to swing a smaller V8 motored challenger's payment and use my GSXR 750 motorcycle on the nice days for gas savings. But that hope is looking pretty dim now that they decided that they are going for the welloff instead of the average joe like I had hoped. Doesn't anyone remember the original Plymouth Road Runner's formula for success?:( Am I alone here or what? Guess I'll be back the garage wrenching on my project 64 nova to get my V8 kicks. I feel ya man!;) The automakers want to keep us working fellows stuck in a front wheel drive, 4cyl, jellybean styled, crapbox forever! ........there's my 1/2 cent!

·
Registered
4 Posts
Here is my simple business case -

If DCX wants to build a niche car that will allow dealers to price it out of the regular persons price range, I will enjoy driving around my 2009 Camaro or CTS-V.

In the 2008-2009 MY, I will be buying either a Challenger, Camaro or Cadilac CTS Super-V. I am pretty much platform independent and was planning on testing each of the above and take the best bang for the buck. A niche will pretty much remove the bang for the buck. I am pretty certain the Challenger will not top the Caddy Super-V in hp or cornering, but I was planning on the Caddy being $10-$15K more. If the CTS is $5K more, but has a LS7 505hp motor under the hood, why not.

I will never pay dealer greed!!!

·
Registered
1 Posts
Well, it's my first post here, and I constantly come here to check for updates on the Challenger. It seems to me that what Autoweek comments on the article is most likely true, since they can't even keep up with the current LX's. I am completely pissed off, so, if they are going to overprice it like that, well, I might as well buy a Corvette. I will never buy another DCX car again if the Challenger is overpriced.

·
Registered
27 Posts
Legion681 said:
I am looking fwd to have one in Sublime/Limelight too.
And yup, my wife thinks I am absolutely crazy for wanting one. But the reason is different: I have a new car (actually fairly new now), it's a retro styled muscle car (the only one in the market right now: the Mustang) and she likes it a lot.
But she knows (sport/sporty) cars are my only real hobby and at the end, I will get it.
So my suggestion is: hang in there ! Don't let anyone take your dream away from you.
Thanks. I plan to plan to hold my ground. I figure if I keep bugging her, she'll eventually say what she usually does, "Oh, all right, just hurry up and get it over with!".:D Then, coming up with the funds will be another story.:(

·
Registered
27 Posts
BarracudaBoy said:
No, you're not! I am really miffed about it to!:mad: I'm an Enlisted joe in the U.S. Army stuck in Iraq with a child support payment, and second wife and kid. I used to own a 1970 Barracuda and LOVED it! I had hope that I might be able to swing a smaller V8 motored challenger's payment and use my GSXR 750 motorcycle on the nice days for gas savings. But that hope is looking pretty dim now that they decided that they are going for the welloff instead of the average joe like I had hoped. Doesn't anyone remember the original Plymouth Road Runner's formula for success?:( Am I alone here or what? Guess I'll be back the garage wrenching on my project 64 nova to get my V8 kicks. I feel ya man!;) The automakers want to keep us working fellows stuck in a front wheel drive, 4cyl, jellybean styled, crapbox forever! ........there's my 1/2 cent!
First of all, I have to thank you for your service. You guys don't get nearly enough credit for what you're doing over there. And it pisses me off to no end when all we ever hear about is the negative news coming out of Iraq. Anyway, it makes me feel pretty stupid for complaining about my situation when I am reminded about what so many of you guys (and gals) are going through right now.

Too bad about your Barracuda. I'm sure you wish you still had it. I should have bought one 10 years ago when you could still get a classic, mint E-body for around $20K. I've got an '03 HEMI Ram Quad and an '03 Grand Caravan in the garage now. The 3rd stall could sure use an '08 Challanger, but at $40K+, that would probably be the dumbest financial decision of my life. But hey, guys are supposed to make dumb decisions every once in a while, so count me in on this one. :D

·
Registered
136 Posts
I have had my 2 toys since new and they are a lot of fun. However, I have always wished that I had ordered at least 1 of them with a hemi. If they come out with this car, especially in some of the retro colours, then I will do all that I can to put another Dodge in my garage.

·
Banned
95 Posts
Well there goes alot of the mkt. They will try to squeeze every last dime out of these cars aka the Prowler. Look what happened to that, it became the foster child that no one wanted and bounced it from home to home, first Dodge, then Plymth, then killed it. Oh well.

I feel fortunate that I will be able to stand toe to toe w/ the big dog collectors in a financial sense but will I want to is another question. For the money what else will I be able to get. If they push this car in the low 50's I will just grab another E 92 M3 and be done w/it. Hell it is a 2 door V-8 too but w/ build quality miles above the Challenger.

1 - 20 of 35 Posts