Dodge Challenger Forum banner

1 - 20 of 23 Posts

·
Registered
492 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
...says gas prices not concern

DETROIT -- If buyers want the car, rising gasoline prices will not dissuade the Chrysler group from putting the Dodge Challenger concept into production.

The 425-hp, 6.1-liter Hemi V-8 coupe was one of the stars of the Detroit auto show. The concept draws on styling cues first seen on the 1970 Challenger. It shares a platform with the rear-drive Chrysler 300.

"If gasoline is $4 a gallon and the market said this would be a great business case, we could do it," said Eric Ridenour, Chrysler's COO. "If the market says it is not, then we probably won't."

Ridenour, who headed product development and quality before being named COO in September, said fuel efficiency will play a bigger role in Chrysler's product decisions. But he added: "That does not mean that that will be the only factor in the customer's choice."

Despite fluctuating gasoline prices, Ridenour said demand for the automaker's SRT line of performance vehicles remains strong. There are no plans to reduce SRT's current or proposed future product line.

He said customers continue to look at a number of factors when purchasing a vehicle. Those factors include styling, reliability, handling, ride, passenger space, fuel economy and, in some cases, performance.

"Fuel economy is a parameter, but it is not the only parameter," Ridenour said in an interview at the Detroit auto show.

While not naming specific future models, Ridenour said, "We have some that will be on the more sporty end and therefore won't be the best fuel economy, but still might be fuel-efficient within their segment."

Source: AutoWeek

·
Registered
973 Posts
...says gas prices not concern

Ridenour, who headed product development and quality before being named COO in September, said fuel efficiency will play a bigger role in Chrysler's product decisions. But he added: "That does not mean that that will be the only factor in the customer's choice."

"Fuel economy is a parameter, but it is not the only parameter,"
When I was at the Detroit Auto Show, the girls on the DCX displays were emphasizing speed and preformance.

I then wandered on over to the GM section, and right as you walk in, there is a girl talking about a new GM hybrid and explaining how it works and the gas it will save. There were less than 10 people listening to her talk.

It was a stark comparision. DCX is stressing speed and performance. GM is stressing fuel economy.

Now let me think for a moment. DCX is making money and increasing their market share. GM is loosing their shirts and their market share.

Maybe the GM big-shots should spend some time at the auto shows and actually talk to people.

·
Registered
973 Posts
Vanishing Point said:
...what are we suppose to be seein' here in this picture,..the bald spot on the back side of some guys head?!:confused: :p :D
Just a comparison between the crowd the Challenger was drawing and GM hybrid's crowd. And I thought everyone was so concerned about gas milage. May be the tree huggers were out hugging that day. :)

Yeah, ye old baldie should save his money for a transplant. Screw the car. :)

·
Registered
1,027 Posts
ChuckG said:
Just a comparison between the crowd the Challenger was drawing and GM hybrid's crowd. And I thought everyone was so concerned about gas milage. May be the tree huggers were out hugging that day. :)

LOL!!!!!!! Thats funny!:D

·
Registered
4 Posts
ChuckG said:

When I went to the Detroit Show there were just as many people at the Chevrolet Camaro concept, as there were at the Challenger concept. Maybe a few more.

Comparing the Challenger crowd to a hybrid Chevy Subrurban crowd isn't a fair gauge.

There was also quite a few people at the Ford GT500 Shelby. Even though they didn't, and wouldn't, open the hood.

I love all muscle cars from the Big Three. The more they make, the better the World will be.:cool:

·
Registered
973 Posts
OhioChris said:
When I went to the Detroit Show there were just as many people at the Chevrolet Camaro concept, as there were at the Challenger concept. Maybe a few more.

Comparing the Challenger crowd to a hybrid Chevy Subrurban crowd isn't a fair gauge.

There was also quite a few people at the Ford GT500 Shelby. Even though they didn't, and wouldn't, open the hood.

I love all muscle cars from the Big Three. The more they make, the better the World will be.:cool:
Chris- You miss understood me. Maybe I wasn't clear in what I was trying to say.

DCX was stressing speed and performance (except the minivan) in their vehicles. Even the Imperial girl was saying it had a top speed of 160 MPH. You walk over to the GM exhibit and the first thing you see is a girl talking about hybrids. I just thought it was a comparison on what DCX is doing and GM is doing. It has nothing to do with vehicle comparison. It has everything to do with corporate philosophies. It just struck me odd, that's all.

I didn't see the Camaro. I like it though. And I've owned many, many more GM products than DCX products.

As far as the GT 500 goes, there was hardly anyone around it when I was there. But I like it as well. Take a look:

·
Registered
4 Posts
ChuckG said:
Chris- You miss understood me. Maybe I wasn't clear in what I was trying to say.

DCX was stressing speed and performance (except the minivan) in their vehicles. Even the Imperial girl was saying it had a top speed of 160 MPH. You walk over to the GM exhibit and the first thing you see is a girl talking about hybrids. I just thought it was a comparison on what DCX is doing and GM is doing. It has nothing to do with vehicle comparison. It has everything to do with corporate philosophies. It just struck me odd, that's all.

I didn't see the Camaro. I like it though. And I've owned many, many more GM products than DCX products.

As far as the GT 500 goes, there was hardly anyone around it when I was there. But I like it as well. Take a look:

Maybe you had the Cologne on too strong there Chuck..:p Everywhere you go, No one there...:eek:

Just Kidding...

To be honest, I didn't listen to any of the people talking about the cars. Was just enjoying them visually.

When I went All I did was look for the crowds. Went into Chevrolet area, lloked for crowd, seen Camaro.

Went in Dodge area, looked for crowd, Challenger.

Same with GT500.

Another surprisingly popular car was a GMC Conversion van with Directv, Swing-out Barbecue grill, etc. That van had a MOB around it forever. So did the MINI-Coopers.

Maybe it was because it was busy day when I went. It just seemed like those three cars, Camaro and Challenger in particular, were the most popular, By far.

I will say this though. The Lady at the Challenger was nice enough to give me a shirt when I asked her for one so she wins Pretty Auto Show Lady Trophy.

Happy Trails.

·
Registered
65 Posts
Hopefully gas prices will remain around $2.00 or drop lower this year...and I pray the gulf coast wont get hit again by killer hurricaines that flooded and shut down the refineries down there.

Talk about performance, horsepower speed, acceleration will always draw a croud. Talk about fuel economy, hybreds and the enviroment is just plain boring. DCX and us Mopar fans need to keep the "Buzz" about this car going long after the car shows are over.

·
Registered
10 Posts
Wouldn't it be nice if the gas companies used their billions in profits to build more refineries? But aside from that, a rise of $.50 in the cost of gas is really only something like $40/month for the driver that gets 15 mpg and does 15,000 mi. I know people who spend more than twice that eating out every month.

·
Premium Member
1,556 Posts
Revese the color scheme and it's a sweet car.:D

·
Registered
598 Posts
bad2cudagirl said:
Hmmmmm, that Shelby is lookin' pretty sweet!!!!!:cool:
...a sweet car for a sweet gal!:p ;) ...Dcx has got this one last chance with me to get this car right,without botching up the looks,(just keep it like the concept)...or I'll be visting Mr. Shelby!:cool:

1 - 20 of 23 Posts