Dodge Challenger Forum banner
  • Hey everyone! Enter your ride HERE to be a part of October's Ride of the Month Challenge!
1 - 20 of 25 Posts

·
Premium Member
654 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
So when I bought my car, I added the 730N MyGig radio... which is supposed to have 30 gigs of storage..

I then find out, that it only has actually 11 gigs available for music storage, the rest is earmarked for GPS, some pictures, and other crap.. but they don't say this.. they just say "30 gigs of storage". So to get around this, I bought a 32gig USB stick, and that works just great.

I pitched a fit with Chrysler about this... and so they said.. well even though we can not fix the space issue... and we admit our documentation is wrong... we will give you:

48month, 48k miles, free synthetic oils changes and upgrade warranty to provide you a rental car if something happens if it needs to stay more than like 3 hours. It was not ideal, but I ran the numbers.. as my dealer charges $80 for the lube/oil package with Synthetic (Mopar uses Penzoil Ultra Synthetic)... and for 16 changes (I get them every 3k miles).. it came out to $1280 plus tax... I don't know what the rental upgrade cost.. but I am guessing it was a few hundred dollars.

Was I "OK" with this, yes... they did the right thing by making it up to me.

I want to thank Chrysler for doing the right thing...

·
Premium Member
654 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Sweet deal!

Yeah.. that is what I did it... since I got the storage I needed from the USB stick.. and normally I would change my oil on my own, using Amsoil Synthetic.. but hey... if they are going to do it for me for the next 4 years... and use Synthetic.. which is approved and recommended by Ferrari for use in all their engines... I say "Go for it.." If its good enough for Ferrari engines.. its sure as hell good enough for my Hemi.

·
Registered
402 Posts
I pitched a fit with Chrysler about this...
This is one of my biggest complaints about the car. Especially when 2TB hard drives can be had for less than $100 retail - it's a pretty mean joke on purchasers. When you say "Chrysler," exactly who was this fit pitched to - vanilla customer service number? I myself would like to convey a few choice words.

& thanks for sharing!

·
Premium Member
654 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
This is one of my biggest complaints about the car. Especially when 2TB hard drives can be had for less than $100 retail - it's a pretty mean joke on purchasers. When you say "Chrysler," exactly who was this fit pitched to - vanilla customer service number? I myself would like to convey a few choice words.

& thanks for sharing!

I first complained to my dealer, and even hey did not know.. they had look it up in the STAR system.. as even they were baffled.

So I then went online, and filed a complaint on Dodges website, they issued me a case #, and then assigned me a case manager who did what he could to make me happy.

·
Premium Member
1,949 Posts
I was surprised the 730N (rhr) of only having 12 gigs out of 30 available. I could see even 5 gigs being used or hell, even 10 with the NAV but 18 gigs? Apple is not even that bad with their IPADs/phones.

I have other issues right now that Dodge is trying to deal with so I will not bother them with this issue of the My Gig system shorting available disk space

·
Premium Member
654 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
I was surprised the 730N (rhr) of only having 12 gigs out of 30 available. I could see even 5 gigs being used or hell, even 10 with the NAV but 18 gigs? Apple is not even that bad with their IPADs/phones.

I have other issues right now that Dodge is trying to deal with so I will not bother them with this issue of the My Gig system shorting available disk space
That is what I told them.. I asked them who in the world their horrible coder is that takes that much space up... for Maps. I advised them, they really needed to up the HDD to like a 120GB drive or allow the user to maintain the storage settings and unload crap they dont need or want.

·
Registered
3,634 Posts
Interesting. If enough people complain, or if a class action lawsuit is filed, Chrysler might do something for everyone. Back when the Dakota R/T came out, Chrysler printed in the brochures that they could tow 6000lbs, but in actuality they could only tow 2000 because of the suspension. They offered up extended warranties or accessory gift certificates to people who bought their R/T before 2000.

·
Registered
6,176 Posts
The thing about adding bigger drives to these things, is that the drives they use are shock rated. They're meant to take much more rattling and vibration, as well as heat, than the average hard drive. A bunch of people have looked into replacing them with a bigger drive themselves, and a few have succeeded (software is a whole new monster there), but thats whats keeping them from doing it factory. I do agree, a tb drive would be sweet, but they would definitely get more complaints of failed hardware and jumpy reading with any old hard drive over getting a few complaints about storage space.

·
Registered
19 Posts
I'm having problems with my headliner and chrysler service, maybe i need to go to the website and start emailing every i can get hold of

·
Banned
60 Posts
Only problem with the deal you got is that I wouldn't want the $10/hr grease monkey at the dealership driving your car into the garage and changing your oil. Stripped oil plugs, grease on your paint/interior, door dings etc.. The amount of things that can and do go wrong is why I always change my own oil, even on cars that I bought that came with free oil changes. The good techs at the dealers are reserved for repairs not oil and tire changes.

·
Premium Member
5,707 Posts
I got every option, so I have the same system ... 30GB. But I don't actually want to hear the radio ... it's all about the car / engine / exhaust music for me. I think I had the radio on once or twice, LOL.

I'm just glad my GWE is here and that is good enough for me. :)

·
Premium Member
654 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
I got every option, so I have the same system ... 30GB. But I don't actually want to hear the radio ... it's all about the car / engine / exhaust music for me. I think I had the radio on once or twice, LOL.

I'm just glad my GWE is here and that is good enough for me. :)
While yes, I agree with that "most of the time"... I don't drive it everyday to work (normally I drive my truck)... but when you sitting in rush hour traffic 1.5 hours... at idle most of the time.. a radio a really nice...

On the open road, and places where I can play...yes.. its all about whats under the hood.

·
Premium Member
654 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
Only problem with the deal you got is that I wouldn't want the $10/hr grease monkey at the dealership driving your car into the garage and changing your oil. Stripped oil plugs, grease on your paint/interior, door dings etc.. The amount of things that can and do go wrong is why I always change my own oil, even on cars that I bought that came with free oil changes. The good techs at the dealers are reserved for repairs not oil and tire changes.

Yes, that may be true.. at some dealerships.. however I am friends with the director of parts and service, so I get set up with the best. Additionally my dealership only permits certain trained folks to work on the SRT's.

So with that fact... the dealer (or my friend) does not want to hear from me... so they take care of my cars.

·
Banned
60 Posts
Yes, that may be true.. at some dealerships.. however I am friends with the director of parts and service, so I get set up with the best. Additionally my dealership only permits certain trained folks to work on the SRT's.

So with that fact... the dealer (or my friend) does not want to hear from me... so they take care of my cars.
That's good. My dealer is my neighbor so I know he would set me up with a good tech as well if I had any issues with my SRT or my Ram but I still don't think I'd be comfortable bringing my car in for just and oil change just too much that can happen. If I did I would wait for it instead of dropping it off and I'd watch them like a hawk. On the other hand my kids are bigger then his kids so they could always get even with him at the bus stop if something happened to my car :bigthumb: (Just kidding of course they are all just 4 and 5 years old)

·
Premium Member
654 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
Yep... I wait for mine also... if the work is going to take less than 2-3 hours I generally will hang out... since most of them know me around the place plenty of things for me to go do... and like most places they have wi-fi so if I am working from "home" that day I can bring my laptop and work while I wait.

That's good. My dealer is my neighbor so I know he would set me up with a good tech as well if I had any issues with my SRT or my Ram but I still don't think I'd be comfortable bringing my car in for just and oil change just too much that can happen. If I did I would wait for it instead of dropping it off and I'd watch them like a hawk. On the other hand my kids are bigger then his kids so they could always get even with him at the bus stop if something happened to my car :bigthumb: (Just kidding of course they are all just 4 and 5 years old)

·
Registered
42 Posts
I spoke to Chrysler about the same issue, and I was told there is nothing they can do about it. They didn't offer to take my name, information about the car, anything.

·
Registered
1,089 Posts
I'm no apologist for Chrysler or their mistakes, but "pitching a fit" as you stated for a few missing gigs and then grinding them for $1500 worth of compensation seems a bit greedy/childish, but hey, I guess they offered it. The explanation of what you did sounds like consumer terrorism, not trying to fix a problem...

·
Premium Member
654 Posts
Discussion Starter · #19 ·
I'm no apologist for Chrysler or their mistakes, but "pitching a fit" as you stated for a few missing gigs and then grinding them for $1500 worth of compensation seems a bit greedy/childish, but hey, I guess they offered it. The explanation of what you did sounds like consumer terrorism, not trying to fix a problem...

I think you missing the point... I DID NOT GRIND them... at all....

I said.. here is the problem, this is what I paid for the upgrade for unit, what can/will Chrysler do for me to compensate me... never once did I say "Gimme X or else".. I simply said... what can you do for my inconvenience.

I fully believe that I should get what I paid for.. simple as that..

·
Registered
201 Posts
This is the first thing I noticed on my 12 R/T Classic.

The window sticker said my 730n had a 40gig HD w 20gig available but when I checked the headunit for available space it only said 10gigs.

Called Dodge and they made an appointment for a Rep to look at the car at my local dealership.

When I told the Rep about the radio issue he didn't even let me finish my sentence when he said the Tsunami in Japan was the reason and that my car had the wrong radio installed from the factory.

The new 730 radios were not available at the time my car was built and Dodge couldn't sell me the car with no radio so they just used what they had.

It was replaced and now shows all the available hard drive space that was shown on the window sticker.

Check your cars DOM to see if it was after March 11 2011 because this issue is wide spread and possibly affected thousands of new challengers with the 730n radio.

1 - 20 of 25 Posts