Dodge Challenger Forum banner
  • Hey everyone! Enter your ride HERE to be a part of September's Ride of the Month Challenge!
1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
95 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
So basically the other day my transmission wasn’t shifting on my 19’ Scatpack Charger. I took it to the dealer and they said they need to contact “Chrysler” because I removed my catalytic converter and it’s “illegal”, they need to see if they’ll still cover my transmission repair.
Last time I checked Cats and Transmission don’t have anything to do with each other. Is this just another attempt to not cover repairs under warranty?

·
Premium Member
The Bacon Hauler (‘12 Cop Charger)
9,439 Posts
So basically the other day my transmission wasn’t shifting on my 19’ Scatpack Charger. I took it to the dealer and they said they need to contact “Chrysler” because I removed my catalytic converter and it’s “illegal”, they need to see if they’ll still cover my transmission repair.
Last time I checked Cats and Transmission don’t have anything to do with each other. Is this just another attempt to not cover repairs under warranty?
Probably, but not much you can do. Let them render a diagnosis/decision and go from there.

I don’t know if they are actually talking to Chrysler BTW, maybe just stalling for fine while they either figure out what’s causing the problem or deciding how to make you go away without spending any time/money to appease you.

Either way, it wouldnt hurt to start looking for another dealer to take the car to IMHO.

·
Registered
95 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Probably, but not much you can do. Let them render a diagnosis/decision and go from there.

I don’t know if they are actually talking to Chrysler BTW, maybe just stalling for fine while they either figure out what’s causing the problem or deciding how to make you go away without spending any time/money to appease you.

Either way, it wouldnt hurt to start looking for another dealer to take the car to IMHO.
If that’s what it comes down to I will pull it out and take it to another Dodge. Just kind of annoying that I keep asking for a rental and they keep denying me because they have to check with Chrysler. I can’t even drive to work.

·
Premium Member
3,072 Posts
Do you have a tune or other modifications?

·
Registered
2020 Dodge Challenger Hellraisin Scat Pack
4,205 Posts
If that’s what it comes down to I will pull it out and take it to another Dodge. Just kind of annoying that I keep asking for a rental and they keep denying me because they have to check with Chrysler. I can’t even drive to work.
The "rental" is a good will thing I think. From my 2020 Scat Pack's warranty book:

Your warranties do not cover any incidental or consequential damages connected with your vehicle’s failure, either while under warranty or afterward.

Examples of such damages include:
• Lost time
• Inconvenience
• The loss of the use of your vehicle
• The cost of rental vehicles, gasoline, telephone, travel, or
lodging
• The loss of personal or commercial property
• The loss of revenue
Some states do not allow incidental or consequential damages to be excluded or limited, so this exclusion may not apply to you.

As for how the removal of the converters may affect the warranty:

3.6. Other Exclusions

Your warranties do not cover the costs of repairing damage or conditions caused by any of the following:

• Fire or accident

• Abuse or negligence

• Misuse—for example, driving over curbs or overloading

• Tampering with the emission systems, or with a part that could affect the emission systems

• Use of used parts, even if they were originally supplied by FCA US LLC, however, authorized FCA US LLC/Mopar remanufactured parts are covered

• Windshield or rear window damage from external objects

• Any changes made to your vehicle that don’t comply with FCA US LLC
• Using any fluid that does not meet the minimum recommendations in your Owner's Manual

You tampered with the emission system. Removing the converters violates federal emission laws.

And along with this you made changes -- removing the converters -- that that don't comply with FCA US LLC.

·
Registered
1,277 Posts
This is where the Service Advisor can be a dickhead. They can add a note to "void warranty" due to modifications and you will be SOL. When another Advisor or Dealership pull up your info, they may not want to touch it. Only a nice good Advisor would want to help, take the time, to see it's not related. 100% true story. A Volvo dealership refused warranty because of aftermarket fog lights. In the end, they end up working on it, because there were other paid service, so it was a $400 trip. It's about $$$ in the end. (This was a long time ago.)

·
Registered
2 Posts
Welcome to the worst warranty in the industry.

I had a tire blow out with 5000 miles and they would not cover the tire, only a portion of which they priced at a fake list price. To the extent that It was not worth for me to replace it and I replaced the four tires with quality tires from a Tire shop.

·
Vendor
13,246 Posts
Welcome to the worst warranty in the industry.

I had a tire blow out with 5000 miles and they would not cover the tire, only a portion of which they priced at a fake list price. To the extent that It was not worth for me to replace it and I replaced the four tires with quality tires from a Tire shop.
wow, really, so I guess someone scratching the fender with a key is also a warranty issue

·
Super Moderator
2016 SXT Plus Blacktop
26,731 Posts
No extended warranty (beyond a specific tire warranty) covers tires. It's listed in the exclusions of my lifetime warranty. Tires are wear items

A Guy

·
Registered
2011 gwe srt
848 Posts
The "rental" is a good will thing I think. From my 2020 Scat Pack's warranty book:

Your warranties do not cover any incidental or consequential damages connected with your vehicle’s failure, either while under warranty or afterward.

Examples of such damages include:
• Lost time
• Inconvenience
• The loss of the use of your vehicle
• The cost of rental vehicles, gasoline, telephone, travel, or
lodging
• The loss of personal or commercial property
• The loss of revenue
Some states do not allow incidental or consequential damages to be excluded or limited, so this exclusion may not apply to you.

As for how the removal of the converters may affect the warranty:

3.6. Other Exclusions

Your warranties do not cover the costs of repairing damage or conditions caused by any of the following:

• Fire or accident

• Abuse or negligence

• Misuse—for example, driving over curbs or overloading

• Tampering with the emission systems, or with a part that could affect the emission systems

• Use of used parts, even if they were originally supplied by FCA US LLC, however, authorized FCA US LLC/Mopar remanufactured parts are covered

• Windshield or rear window damage from external objects

• Any changes made to your vehicle that don’t comply with FCA US LLC
• Using any fluid that does not meet the minimum recommendations in your Owner's Manual

You tampered with the emission system. Removing the converters violates federal emission laws.

And along with this you made changes -- removing the converters -- that that don't comply with FCA US LLC.
key word is caused by. No way they can claim taking a convertor off effected the transmission. If they try it look on line. Theres tons of lawyers that specialize just in these kind of bs attempts by dealers to try to get you to pay for something thats covered. Id also NEVER go back to a dealer that pulled that bs on me.

1 - 12 of 12 Posts