Dodge Challenger Forum banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Has anyone worked on making thier chally lighter? If so what are a couple inexpensive ways to start on helping my Chally be light on it's feet. Thanks guys.

·
Registered
129 Posts
I know a few people have removed trunk liners and interior floormats etc... but to get any serious weight reduction I would think removing/replacing seats would be a significant improvement. Fiberglass hoods/trunklids as well. Lighter wheels can probably make a big difference too. Gotta fight that inertia! haha

·
Registered
1,028 Posts
Seats would be a good bet. Take the trunk down to just the base structure metal. With thickness of metal these days, I doubt there is very much weight reduction going to fiberglass hoods. The fiberglass tonneau cover for my truck weighs a ton!

·
Registered
352 Posts
The best thing you can do is also one of the most expensive - CF wheels.

I don't believe there is an 'inexpensive way' to lighten this vehicle in any significant way short of gutting the interior.

·
Vendor
5,672 Posts
How extreme do you want to go? We have a carbon hood, trunk, fenders, doors ... ;)

·
Registered
204 Posts
I've seen a rear seat delete kit but I don't recall from which vendor. Cost was about $1,500.

And imo, one of the differences between a muscle car and a sports car is that a muscle car isn't very concerned with what it weighs!

cp Powerlifter vs Bodybuilder

·
Registered
3,733 Posts
The weight really isnt in the body pannels. As some of you guys have found out, you damn sure dont want to lean on these cars because the metal is so thin and dents easy. Hell, if you push to hard on these things when you wax, the metal caves in. Its the interior and all of the structural stuff that is heavy. The 20 inch wheels are damn heavy too. There is an aluminum 6.1L block out but its only 50 pounds lighter than the cast iron block. If you can get these things in the mid to low 3000 pounds you are doing good but it wont be a street car anymore. LOL

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Wow thanks for all the replies. I use mine as a daily drive and I'm not worried about gas prices too much but I heard that so many pounds lighter helps with gas mileage. Anyways thanks for the advice guys.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts