Dodge Challenger Forum banner
1 - 20 of 59 Posts

·
Registered
15 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
How well does the products on the shelf do at getting the smoke smell out of a vehicle? I am thinking about purchasing a vehicle and that is the biggest concern I have. I do not smoke, or else I am sure it would not bother me as much. I am not saying anything negative about those that do, I just want to make sure that I will be happy with what I am purchasing or should I pass?

any advise would be greatly appreciated!

Mike

·
Premium Member
4,168 Posts
I will not buy a car that has been smoked in regularly. Despite claims to the contrary, I have never seen anything that can remove the smell. It permeates everything. Best you can hope for is to mask it and then the car still smells funny.
Some online websites ask about this and lower the value of the car if you say yes.
I would pass.

·
Registered
15 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Thanks for the replies here. I was gunna try and get a few grand off and do the detail myself which would include the replacement of the carpet. Just not sure if it will really be worth the effort now.

·
Registered
2018 Challenger 392 Shaker B5 Blue
544 Posts
I would never buy a used car that has been smoked in. No matter how beautiful, cheap & optioned out it is. That smell will never be able to go away. I am not a smoker, never been and I detest the smell of it

·
Registered
2019 F8 Green 1320
45 Posts
I steamed cleaned the headliner/visors and used one of those scent removal "bombs" in my old Focus ST that had a heavy smoker previous owner (it had leather seats so I didn't steam clean those). Surprisingly, it worked pretty well. It would only start faintly smelling when the car was parked outside in really hot weather. It's really hit or miss but if you can get a good deal on the car, it could work.

·
Registered
502 Posts
If the price is right, I wouldn't sweat-it. The vehicle can be cleaned, though, you'll have a hard time getting the smell out of the ventilation system. You'll get used to it. Is it "use" or "used"?

·
Premium Member
4,168 Posts
" Is it "use" or "used"?"
Neither IMO. Unless he lives in it. "Normalization" would take care of it then. Otherwise, every time he gets in it, it will be detectable. That's no way to fall in love with a classic muscle car.
I couldn't do it.

Reactions: Yonko

·
Registered
502 Posts
" Is it "use" or "used"?"
Neither IMO. Unless he lives in it. "Normalization" would take care of it then. Otherwise, every time he gets in it, it will be detectable. That's no way to fall in love with a classic muscle car.
I couldn't do it.
I treat my R/T like it's the last R/T on the planet, so I get it. I smoked for 30 years, and there is no one who dislikes the smell of cigarettes more than a former smoker. I was thinking that if he could get it for a great price, you could refurb the interior.

My dad purchased a Lincoln Mark IV that someone had smoked in. After replacing the carpet, seats, headliner, cage fan and vents, it smelled like a new car. Here's the thing... Sometimes you would get into the car, and you would get hit with a quick scent burnt cigarette tobacco. It was only for a second, then it was gone. Weird.

·
Registered
2016 Dodge Challenger R/T
204 Posts
Try looking for a restoration service, locally I know there is Servepro, and see what they have to say. If they can get the smell of a fire out of household furniture they can get cigarette smell out of a car! If the car is "it" don't give up on it because of the PO!

·
Registered
2021 Charger SPWB
4,064 Posts
I'd take up smoking, so no problemo. Seriously, I would not go near a car that was smoked in, for any amount off!

·
Registered
2011 SXT Built in the Canada Plant
2,373 Posts
One of two tricks is a good enzyme cleaner or you can take a few plastic containers and cut up Apples put them in the car and park it in sunlight fort several hours
with barely a crack open less then 1/8th inch. Do this a few times and it will kill the smell did it to my Dodge Intrepid former owner was a Cigar Smoker took
2 times this method and then sprayed Enzyme with the car ac on it cleared the smell....

I also no longer will touch a Smokers Car....

·
Registered
502 Posts
I loved smoking cigarettes! I quit because I refused to pay over $1.50 per pack. It's been 16 years since I've stopped, but I think I could go back without skipping a beat. I smoked nearly a pack a day during basic training @ Ft. Benning... Never a problem, but then I was only 17 years old.

·
Registered
2015 Dodge Challenger SRT
877 Posts
Find a detailer with an Ozone machine. Some dealerships (especially ones that move a lot of used cars) use them to freshen up smoked-in vehicles.

I worked with a lady who bought a smoked-in car that was giving her asthmatic son real problems. A detailer came out to the office and put the machine to work with the engine and A/C running for a couple (a few?) hours and it made an amazing difference.

·
Registered
2016 Dodge Challenger R/T
204 Posts
Find a detailer with an Ozone machine...
THANK YOU!!! Couldn't think of the name of the machine, kept thinking reverse osmosis but thats a water filter.

Would bet most larger dealers have one for their trade ins.

Reactions: Wizard of Iz

·
Registered
2016 Challenger R/T Scat Pack Pitch Black A8
925 Posts
If I liked the car and it was a good deal I would buy it if it had been smoked in unless it had a bunch of burn holes or marks. I have cleaned vehicles that have been smoked in before with very good results. That being said like everything else, what others do is a very personal decision based on their own circumstances. Good luck 👍!

·
Registered
7 Posts
I would like to agree with everyone here, and if you back out of the deal you made the right decision. Been there done that, ozone machine, sprays, 4 hour detail job, running fresh air with windows open and a/c running, you name it I did it in a previous vehicle and it worked temporarily only to smell the lingering smoke again when I got into the vehicle in the morning a few days later.
Find another vehicle/similar vehicle, I regretted buying it at a cut price because I had to deal with the smell, ended up getting rid of it and cutting my losses.

1 - 20 of 59 Posts