Dodge Challenger Forum banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
1,629 Posts
It would seem a Circa 3.55 gear would wake this automatic up. Keep the rpms up in the power range.

Anyone gear it yet?
Why are you wanting to keep the RPM's up. The 392 has a torque curve like a diesel. Actually going to a higher gear might help keep the tires under the car.

·
Registered
124 Posts
I believe he's talking about an automatic, and yes a gear change to 3.55 would be very noticeable in acceleration as the auto trans has a really steep first gear like 3.59(much steeper than manual trans); my old 727 torqueflite in my 440 has a 2.45 1st gear, big difference out of the hole. My old Challenger went to 3.91 from 3.23 was actually too much gear for my 440 as that engine has huge amounts of torque.

·
Registered
940 Posts
My 72 had 3.55's also. I went from the 3.06 in my 09 SRT8 to the 3.91 and yes it woke it up. The car could still use a converter with slicks but with street tires it's Up In Smoke!!!

·
Registered
1,456 Posts
3.91 all the way - gas mileage will be crap but hole shots will be amazing with drag radials and the gears already exist from the 6-speed differential.

FWIW, even though Dodge claims the 6 speed has a 3.92 gear, it's actually a 3.91, based on a physical inspection of the differential = 43 teeth ring gear and 11 teeth pinion.

·
Registered
64 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
I have a 3.55 in my Viper and it was the best bang for the money.
It felt like a 20% hp increase. Then I put a Supercharger on and wished I left it stock. It's tough to finish the quarter mile in 4th gear.
Sorry I do not do Mustangs... (Circa, means around)

·
Registered
64 Posts
Discussion Starter #11 (Edited)
Actually, Circa means "at, in, or of approximately".

It can be considered analogous to "around". :browsmiley:
"Actually"
Circa is (Latin) for around. Period!

So, at or in, fit in the foot print of the possibilities of circa. :browsmiley:

I do not know where mustang owner comes to mind, being dodge uses this gear and I have one installed, as do many Vipers.

·
Registered
1,658 Posts
"Actually"
Circa is (Latin) for around. Period!

So, at or in, fit in the foot print of the possibilities of circa. :browsmiley:

I do not know where mustang owner comes to mind, being dodge uses this gear and I have one installed, as do many Vipers.
If you've never had a Mustang (I've had 4), or been around a Mustang "crowd", then disregard the comment. It's a Mustang "thing". Sorry.

P.S. "Actually" Circum is (Latin) for around: e.g. circumference, circumnavigate, circumstance, circumcise :)lol:).

Circa is derived from Circum...

1 - 12 of 12 Posts