1 - 20 of 30 Posts

·
Registered
1,489 Posts
Discussion Starter #1

·
Registered
1,550 Posts
Love the 68 AMX (And the 69 and the 70).
My first car was a 71 Javelin, and when I tore up the 3AT, like a rambunctious 16-year old is wont to do, I dropped a Borg-Warner T10 out of an '69 AMX in it. Fun Fun Fun.

I'd love to find 71 Javelin Resto-mod with a 392 HEMI and modern drive-train.

·
Registered
194 Posts
Great article and photos!

That torino looks a lot like today's Challenger (no flames, please).

·
Registered
2015 RT 5.7 M6
7,576 Posts
I almost bought an XR-7 cougar before I decided to pull the trigger on the RT. What pushed me toward a modern muscle car is:

1) does not take 2 gallons of gas and 1/2 hour to warm up
2) heat soak does not cause vapor lock or starter issues on a newer car
3) heated steering/seats/mirrors/glass is a major plus
4) better handling/driveability
5) better HP to displacement
6) airbags and blindspot detect
7) no need to replace distributor/rotor
8) headlights actually let you see the road at night

This is the list that I run through my head whenever I am about to place a bid at a classic car auction.

My neighbor bought a 72 duster and his argument was...the duster will go up in value and was a better investment....a week later he calls me to ask if I could pick him up because his car would not start (heat soak - vapor lock and weak starter). Still I would love to own his duster.

Rob - why don't you do a documentary on the Uconnect issue? Torquenews did a small piece but you can be the guy that takes this all the way to capitol hill. :grin2:

·
Premium Member
2,874 Posts
I like the 71 Satellite.

·
Registered
2015 SRT 392
2,713 Posts
I actually had two of those. The 1983 Hurst Olds, which was a nice, comfortable car, but not much in the way of power. The colors of the car were nice, but the Lighning Rod shifter was pretty cool. It made me think that I had a Lenco trans in it!

I also had a Grand National (actually two of them). The first one had a solid roof, which I bought because I liked the car until I came across one with an Astro Roof.

For their time and cubes, they were Impressive cars that could be modded pretty cheaply. Mine had an upgraded turbo and a Duttweiler intercooler, along with a chip and some fuel mods. The big thing to get them to hook up was to put an airbag in the right rear coil spring to help with launching that Bad Boy! It had some Centerline Turn 500 wheels on and could actually do pretty decent in the corners too.

It ended up running high eleven's, which at the time, wasn't bad for the little bit of money that I had in mods.

I liked the interior of them too. GM did a nice job with it. It wasn't fancy, but still had some pop to it.

I miss that car sometimes.

Here's a pic of her:

Attachments

·
Registered
1,489 Posts
Discussion Starter #7

·
Registered
1,489 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
I almost bought an XR-7 cougar before I decided to pull the trigger on the RT. What pushed me toward a modern muscle car is:

1) does not take 2 gallons of gas and 1/2 hour to warm up
2) heat soak does not cause vapor lock or starter issues on a newer car
3) heated steering/seats/mirrors/glass is a major plus
4) better handling/driveability
5) better HP to displacement
6) airbags and blindspot detect
7) no need to replace distributor/rotor
8) headlights actually let you see the road at night

This is the list that I run through my head whenever I am about to place a bid at a classic car auction.

My neighbor bought a 72 duster and his argument was...the duster will go up in value and was a better investment....a week later he calls me to ask if I could pick him up because his car would not start (heat soak - vapor lock and weak starter). Still I would love to own his duster.

Rob - why don't you do a documentary on the Uconnect issue? Torquenews did a small piece but you can be the guy that takes this all the way to capitol hill. :grin2:

Atre you referring to Uconnects being bricked by bad software upgrades?

·
Premium Member
564 Posts
My dad gave me a 68' Torino Gt 4spd manual red with a white stripe in 1978. I traded it for this 57' Olds J2 Rocket 88. I am about to rebuild the original 371cid J2 engine. while it is being rebuilt I will be powering it with a 59' 394cid Rocket engine with a 57' J2 intake manifold and carbs.

Attachments

·
Registered
2015 RT 5.7 M6
7,576 Posts
Are you referring to Uconnects being bricked by bad software upgrades?
I am referring to the firmware upgrade 17.11.07 that has rendered many 2015-2016 challengers with a no longer functioning sport mode.

Sport mode not working after software upgrade - Dodge Challenger Forum: Challenger & SRT8 Forums
8.4 Upgrade, Lost Sport Mode - Dodge Challenger Forum: Challenger & SRT8 Forums

https://www.torquenews.com/3768/2015-2016-dodge-challenger-owners-say-software-update-eliminated-their-sport-mode

Where is Barbara Walters when you need her? :wink3:

At least the Ram folk are enjoying it.
https://www.torquenews.com/3768/what-changes-come-uconnect-update-2016-ram-1500

·
Super Moderator
15,391 Posts
Decent sampling of cars in that article

I'd pass on the Shelby Charger - they never did much for me as new cars either

the '94 Mustang Cobra - meh. The '94 - '98 styling was some of the blandest.
Not very distinctive looking from any garden variety Mustang from that era. From '99 up the styling revisions helped.

·
Registered
267 Posts
I do miss my classics. Sold a 71 Scout and 62 Volvo P1800 to buy my SRT. But I don't miss all the problems with an old car. And now I have A/C and a stereo!

·
Registered
266 Posts
Interesting, all 2nd gen Trans-ams near me are ridiculously priced. Haven't seen them for that cheap in years. And most of which are a fake "special-edition" too because I guess people think Trans-ams only came in black and gold... :icon_rolleyes:

My trans-am has probably cost more than that $19K to build anyway....

·
Registered
2015 SRT, 6 Speed, Sublime Green
1,469 Posts
I like that list. As you can see I have one of them. I bought that car for $17,500 in August 2015. It’s a runner but nowhere near a show car. Would take a wheel barrow full of 20’s to do that.

I really like that Satellite too!

Attachments

·
Registered
1,489 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
Gotcha. I heard about that a week or so ago.

·
Premium Member
2,874 Posts
I like that list. As you can see I have one of them. I bought that car for $17,500 in August 2015. It’s a runner but nowhere near a show car. Would take a wheel barrow full of 20’s to do that.

I really like that Satellite too!

That is an awesome TA!!! And you say it runs????? How well......... performance upgrades???? Hmmmmmm...

I love the Satellite too!

·
Registered
2015 SRT, 6 Speed, Sublime Green
1,469 Posts
That is an awesome TA!!! And you say it runs????? How well......... performance upgrades???? Hmmmmmm...

I love the Satellite too!
It runs like a fine Swiss watch. It is completely stock. Some items need work like the power door locks for example, but it is a nice car. It also has a small exhaust leak in an area that would be a nightmare to fix. I bought it in Michigan near Detroit and drove it home to California.

·
Registered
1,489 Posts
Discussion Starter #19
For some it is going on for almost a year with no fix in sight.
That's a bummer. I once bricked a 430N nav unit in my Wrangler after installing a Uconnect update that was corrupted. Thankfully Jeep stepped up and had a brand new unit put in for free. Has the sport mode problem affected your car? I'd get on Dodge Cares asap about that.

1 - 20 of 30 Posts