Dodge Challenger Forum banner

1 - 20 of 50 Posts

·
Registered
1,751 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I know I'm pretty enamored with the car right now, but one of the things that I'm most happy with are those wheels. So reminscent of the Keystone or Crager mags of yore- - but in 20" diameter. Who in the 70's would have dreamed of wheels that size on a car?

·
Banned
675 Posts
I know I'm pretty enamored with the car right now, but one of the things that I'm most happy with are those wheels. So reminscent of the Keystone or Crager mags of yore- - but in 20" diameter. Who in the 70's would have dreamed of wheels that size on a car?
They were rolling on +20" wheels in the early 1900's.. just saying.

·
Registered
2,544 Posts
See how enamored you are when you go to clean them and read MADE IN TAIWAN!

·
Registered
99 Posts
Yeah, Im with you on this one, I love my Classic rims- though the Cragars were always deeper-I'd love to put some big fat 50's with raised white letters on and jack the rear end up about a foot just for nostalgia :pimp:

Remember, those Classics are clear-coated so wax only, no abrasive or metal polish! but do wax them, they sparkle nice after...

·
Registered
812 Posts
I do love those wheels. You can't really complain about polished, forged, aluminum with a clear coat.

·
Registered
1,751 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
See how enamored you are when you go to clean them and read MADE IN TAIWAN!
Ha! Guess I shouldn't be surprised, we've farmed out darn near everything else overseas. Workmanship looks good on them though. At least the tires were made in the good ol' USA!

·
Registered
954 Posts
i really like the classic wheels too! one of the things that made me go ahead and get the r/t classic. WE REALLY DO NEED TO GET MORE MANUFACTURING BACK IN AMERICA THOUGH!

·
Registered
1,751 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
LOL, I noticed that over the past weekend when I rotated the tires. I was like, WTF. Can't we manufacture anything anymore.
I think nearly all the wheels sold at TireRack are made overseas. Unfortunately, it's the nature of the beast.

·
Registered
320 Posts
I like the looks of the Classic wheels the best of all the Challenger wheels too, but I do wish they were made here.

·
Banned
557 Posts
Just curious....are the classic wheels chrome "clad" like the 20" RT wheels are? To me that is a bigger turn off than being made in Taiwan. It's pathetic when you can walk up and knock on wheels and tell they are plastic. :(

·
Registered
1,613 Posts
Just curious....are the classic wheels chrome "clad" like the 20" RT wheels are? To me that is a bigger turn off than being made in Taiwan. It's pathetic when you can walk up and knock on wheels and tell they are plastic. :(
No, they're not chrome clad. They are polished forged aluminum then clearcoated for protection.:bigthumb:

·
Registered
1,751 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
Funny; the first time I saw wheels like that were on a Hemi Ram pickup. I couldn't believe it. I didn't know the other 20" Challenger wheels were made that way. I just like the shape of the spokes on the Classic better.

·
Registered
1,053 Posts
No, they're not chrome clad. They are polished forged aluminum then clearcoated for protection.:bigthumb:
I'm not so sure they are forged. Pretty sure thay are just cast. I didn't see any engraving that claims they are forged. I did noticed mine were manufactured in Oct. 2008, before the Classic was available though.

·
Registered
1,751 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
I'm not so sure they are forged. Pretty sure thay are just cast. I didn't see any engraving that claims they are forged. I did noticed mine were manufactured in Oct. 2008, before the Classic was available though.
Try that question on the next salesman. "Hey are these wheels cast or forged?"

1 - 20 of 50 Posts