Dodge Challenger Forum banner

1 - 20 of 26 Posts

·
Registered
449 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hey all I have a 2012 Classic with the 5 spoke Cragar type wheels which have a cloudy\ hazy look to them the only thing I have used on them so far is car wash detergent tried some mothers wax in 1 small spot with no improvement any suggestions on what I might try

·
Registered
1,303 Posts
I think mine look the same, they are polished aluminum with clear coat. in the sun I can see the polish marks on mine and they looked like that from day one ..and it drives me nuts. most of the "Heritage" wheels I've seen have less hazy/swirl marks than my
"Classic II's". I treat the clear on my wheels just like the clear on the rest of the car, the swirls/haze is under the clear on mine.

you could have them chrome plated.. other than that I know of nothing else to do.

·
Registered
449 Posts
Discussion Starter #4 (Edited)
hey Guys thanks
That is what I figured was going on, but like you said 88 driving me nuts, I guess I'll just keep the brake dust off and keep them polished and keep them off the friggin curbs, already got about a 1/2 inch curb scar, 53 years old and I think its my first one. I was also checking the passenger side wheel while I was adding air and you wouldn't believe the weights on the inside of that wheel really poor manufacturing to have to add that much weight to a wheel

·
Registered
26 Posts
Heritage II wheels here as well. Only 243 miles on my 14' and they look hazy as well. When the light hits it right I actually can see some minor surface scratches and swirl marks on them where it looks like someone washed it down with something rough. It's not bad but like you guys it's bugging the hell out of me as well.

The car has only been washed twice, the initial detail at the dealership then I took it back a week later to have the paint sealed.

The car has actually been sitting in the garage since before Thanksgiving, waiting for the snow to melt and a warm day where I can back her out of the garage and see if I can shine those suckers up a bit.

So, I would like to try something to improve the shine... no recommendations for any products to polish out those minor surface scratches on the clear coat?

Let me know it there is a safe product out there that may help make my rims shine a little better.

Thanks

·
Registered
1,303 Posts
what I'm seeing on mine is where the aluminum was polished and then clear coated over.
the polish marks and swirls are under my clear, I just cleaned mine really well and used Adams
Quick Sealer on them. I topped them after a while with Brilliant Glaze and then two coats of Carnuba
wax. they shine really well, but in the sun you see the swirls in the aluminum.. i'm the only one that notices it though, well except for you guys. :)

·
Registered
26 Posts
what I'm seeing on mine is where the aluminum was polished and then clear coated over.
the polish marks and swirls are under my clear, I just cleaned mine really well and used Adams
Quick Sealer on them. I topped them after a while with Brilliant Glaze and then two coats of Carnuba
wax. they shine really well, but in the sun you see the swirls in the aluminum.. i'm the only one that notices it though, well except for you guys. :)
It might very well be under the clear coat on mine as well... I will inspect them more closely next time I have good lighting and report back.

·
Registered
285 Posts
I was pissed when I went to pick up my car and it had these wheels. I thought it had what I now know are called "Envy" wheels, which I liked. These Heritages were scratched looking new. I used some blacklight by chemical brothers followed up by V2 spray after washing, and that helped. Eventually I just got tired of the bling and for $20 did this and I've been happy ever since:

·
Registered
1,303 Posts
I'm thinking I might buy an extra set and have the chromed. then they shouldn't have the swirl marks in them.. if I don't like them I'd still have the originals. I bought a set of WP3 Alcoas for a second set but I'm not sure if I'll use them or not... in pictures I like the look but in person they look sort of drab compared to the polished Classic II's..

to boogts, that pretty much bites, you had to pay extra for wheels you didn't want. (optional $995) wheels make the car to me so I'm overly sensitive when it comes to what I want to look at. let's face it, I don't need this car but I wanted this car and I want it to look like I want it to look.. I'm sure you guys feel the same. :thumbsup:

·
Registered
15,031 Posts
What about stripping the clear coat then have them polished? A good polish will have them looking better than chrome. Only downside is you will need to keep them polished but not too hard once they are already done right.

Sent from AutoGuide.com Free App

·
Registered
1,303 Posts
What about stripping the clear coat then have them polished? A good polish will have them looking better than chrome. Only downside is you will need to keep them polished but not too hard once they are already done right.

you think they could be polished better than the factory did them where the polish marks (swirls) are all polished out? then couldn't they be just re-clear coated?

·
Registered
15,031 Posts
Hell yeah. Stop by a truck stop where they polish wheels, those things look like a mirror when they are finished. Assuming these are just regular aluminum wheels, should work fine. We stripped and polished some corvette wheels once, came out nice. Used regular paint stripper to remove the clear coat.

·
Registered
9,661 Posts
Guys, you've got your "noses" too close to the wheels.

The "polish marks" and clear coat are what make these wheels just "pop" under various lighting conditions, except up close, under direct light.

Coming down the road, the Heritage wheels shine like crazy looking at them. Now if your really want to see them stand out, take your car out at night. The indirect light from street lights etc, make these really shine, even more so than chrome.

The only time that the "swirls" are visible, is when you're just too close to them.

Before you beat me up with these comments, do the above, in the day and night. These rims just look killer, and are so easy to keep clean and waxed.

Try this, your thoughts may change. LOL

Reactions: B5ClassicRT

·
Registered
1,303 Posts
Guys, you've got your "noses" too close to the wheels.

The "polish marks" and clear coat are what make these wheels just "pop" under various lighting conditions, except up close, under direct light.

Coming down the road, the Heritage wheels shine like crazy looking at them. Now if your really want to see them stand out, take your car out at night. The indirect light from street lights etc, make these really shine, even more so than chrome.

The only time that the "swirls" are visible, is when you're just too close to them.

Before you beat me up with these comments, do the above, in the day and night. These rims just look killer, and are so easy to keep clean and waxed.

Try this, your thoughts may change. LOL

yea, I know what you mean but I've compared these to the Heritage you have and your type seems to be much clearer and less swirled/scratched up as mine do. (Classic II's) in daylight or lights at night they look like they've been gone over with steel wool.. in the daytime or night when they are not in direct light they look fine.
and you know, I've never seen my car while it's rolling but another member showed his (PCP like mine) and it looked spectacular. so yes, Johned I'm too OCD but I sure wish they were polished better. I took a set of CA Special Wheels off my Mustang for this very reason, they didn't look as cared for as the rest of the car.. I'm sure I'll get over it and like I said in another post, I'm the only one that notices it... other than these other guys. :thumbsup:

they do look good WET before I dry them off.. :)

Reactions: 19johned53

·
Registered
719 Posts
Hey all I have a 2012 Classic with the 5 spoke Cragar type wheels which have a cloudy\ hazy look to them the only thing I have used on them so far is car wash detergent tried some mothers wax in 1 small spot with no improvement any suggestions on what I might try
Take it from the Chromer there is nothing you can do to shine up clear coated aluminum, it is not even clear powdercoat it's just regular clear, over time they get worse, you have 2 options, 1) you have the clear stripped and the wheels polished and then you will need to take care of them or 2) I stripped,repolished and then chromed mine in my shop, They looked fantastic and it gave them more of that old school crager ss look.

Attachments

·
Registered
1,303 Posts
Take it from the Chromer there is nothing you can do to shine up clear coated aluminum, it is not even clear powdercoat it's just regular clear, over time they get worse, you have 2 options, 1) you have the clear stripped and the wheels polished and then you will need to take care of them or 2) I stripped,repolished and then chromed mine in my shop, They looked fantastic and it gave them more of that old school crager ss look.
there you go, that would do the trick. I know a fella with the local LX Club that had his Heritage wheels chromed and a year or two later he says he has a slow leak and the tire shop said it was because of the chrome job.. does that make sense to you? I have no idea what a chrome job would cost.

·
Registered
598 Posts
Like it was said before, strip them then polish them. You can use a sealer knce they are polished like Zoop sealer so you don't have to keep polishing them.

The factory can't clear coat them with a highly polished finish because there will be nothing for the clear to "bite" to.

·
Registered
719 Posts
there you go, that would do the trick. I know a fella with the local LX Club that had his Heritage wheels chromed and a year or two later he says he has a slow leak and the tire shop said it was because of the chrome job.. does that make sense to you? I have no idea what a chrome job would cost.
Chroming a wheel will not make it leak, there is more to that story than what is being told, there have been chrome wheels around forever, actually a retro thing, Crager SS, Heritage Classic old and new and today's processes are better than back in the day, I actually use a factory Chrysler spec when doing wheels. To have a set of wheels properly polished and chrome plated you will spend between 800 to 1000 dollars depending on the wheel and the amount of work that will go into the polishing. With that price you should also get a lifetime warrantee to the original purchaser against peeling and flaking because the wheel is being done correctly and in the USA. A cheaper price usually means the wheels are being done in a third world country or Mexico, China etc. It will be shotty polishing, flash nickel and flash chrome which won't make it through 1 midwest winter. A Lot of chrome platers in border states send to Mexico or off shore to get cheap prices so be careful when choosing someone to do your stuff.

·
Registered
2,018 Posts
Chroming a wheel will not make it leak, there is more to that story than what is being told, there have been chrome wheels around forever, actually a retro thing, Crager SS, Heritage Classic old and new and today's processes are better than back in the day, I actually use a factory Chrysler spec when doing wheels. To have a set of wheels properly polished and chrome plated you will spend between 800 to 1000 dollars depending on the wheel and the amount of work that will go into the polishing. With that price you should also get a lifetime warrantee to the original purchaser against peeling and flaking because the wheel is being done correctly and in the USA. A cheaper price usually means the wheels are being done in a third world country or Mexico, China etc. It will be shotty polishing, flash nickel and flash chrome which won't make it through 1 midwest winter. A Lot of chrome platers in border states send to Mexico or off shore to get cheap prices so be careful when choosing someone to do your stuff.
How much weight (if any) is added to the wheel as a result of the chroming process? Seriously considering having my heritage wheels done.

1 - 20 of 26 Posts