Dodge Challenger Forum banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
722 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have a 2016 Hellcat that has been completely wrapped with XPEL paint protection film. The vendor who did the work did an excellent job detailing the car and then applying the film but wants to go a step further. I should mention that this work was done about a year ago. He now wants to clay bar the entire car to enhance it even further. If it bears mentioning, the color of the car is (Chrysler) Pitch Black. My questions are these: Should this be done at all? Is it even necessary? The cost is not a factor because he is doing it gratis because he owes me a favor. Anybody have any ideas or serious comments?

·
Registered
2,186 Posts
I personally do not have any vinyl protective sheeting on my car, so I don't have an experience-based answer for you.

However, I googled it, and came up with this: Ask a Pro about Clear Bra maintenance

Basically, it says yes you can clay bar a bra, but be careful around the edges; the clay can catch on an edge.

I would suggest your detailer use the "gentlest grade" clay bar, and take his time.

Good luck!

·
Registered
662 Posts
I personally do not have any vinyl protective sheeting on my car, so I don't have an experience-based answer for you.

However, I googled it, and came up with this: Ask a Pro about Clear Bra maintenance

Basically, it says yes you can clay bar a bra, but be careful around the edges; the clay can catch on an edge.

I would suggest your detailer use the "gentlest grade" clay bar, and take his time.

Good luck!
i have on both my cars. tried it on the '09 in a couple spots & really did no more than a good coat of detail spray. the problem with the clear bra's is you have to be very gentle or you'll leave a mark or what looks like a swirl. the only way that i've got them out is using a product by a company named novus. the have a 3 step kit. if it was me, i wouldn't let him clay bar it unless they could show me a car where they did. they are playing with fire as far as i'm concerned.

·
Registered
522 Posts
Are you talking about taking the wrap off, claying the car, then reapplying? If so i have to imagine it'll be good to do. These cars are delivered with plenty of impurities on the paint. If not, the other guys have good advise.

Others should correct me here, but I don't think wax or sealant should be applied under, as it will degrade. But a clay and polish before a re-wrap would be good.

·
Registered
20 Posts
I have a 2016 Hellcat that has been completely wrapped with XPEL paint protection film. The vendor who did the work did an excellent job detailing the car and then applying the film but wants to go a step further. I should mention that this work was done about a year ago. He now wants to clay bar the entire car to enhance it even further. If it bears mentioning, the color of the car is (Chrysler) Pitch Black. My questions are these: Should this be done at all? Is it even necessary? The cost is not a factor because he is doing it gratis because he owes me a favor. Anybody have any ideas or serious comments?
you may start seeing color differences

·
Super Moderator
12,563 Posts

·
Registered
722 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Thanks "A Guy" - I didn't even think of checking XPel's site for Q&A. That makes me feel better because my installer is one of only four "certified by Xpel" vendors in my state. He did an excellent PPF wrap job on my car.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts
About this Discussion
6 Replies
6 Participants
GmanNJ1033
Dodge Challenger Forum
Challenger Talk, the online forum for discussions, reviews of Dodge Challenger, and all things SRT, Hellcat, and Demon.
Full Forum Listing