Dodge Challenger Forum banner
1 - 20 of 77 Posts

·
Premium Member
180 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
There have been other threads on this but I wanted to share this mod with everyone,especially if you don't want to spent $200-300 bucks on a CAI.I installed the 2011 Dodge Charger Clean Air Duct (Mopar part #4861940AC)on my R/T today,took about than five minutes to do!Got it from Factory Mopar Parts www.factorymoparparts.com/4861940ac.html ($54.43 plus shipping)This is a cheap way to clean up your engine compartment and get rid of that ugly one that Chrysler installed.I heard no difference in the sound from the engine compartment.:guiness:

Attachments

·
Registered
1,371 Posts
any increase in throttle response?

·
Premium Member
180 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Haven't driven it enough to say if throttle response has changed,will post if it feels better!

·
Registered
118 Posts
Rtretro,
Was looking at ordering this part. Am I to understand the IAT sensor comes with this part? From your pics, it looks like the connection for the IAT is the same as mine. I have heard that for the 2010 R/Ts there are about 4 different sensors. There are apparently some connectors with a red clip and others that don't. Mine is simply grey. Push down on the tab and unplug. No effort. I have heard that the Charger IAT is longer and sticks way out into the air tube. Wasn't sure if the Charger R/T and the Challenger R/T shared the same sensor or not, but I guess as long as the connectors mate up all is well.

·
Premium Member
180 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Duct came with the sensor and it does protrude out more than the stock one.Plugged right in!

·
Registered
118 Posts
Well, I had an extra 2010 R/T box and air tube from a Challenger. Sold on Ebay last night so I ordered the part. I am going to use the SRT box, K&N drop in filter replacement and the 2011 Charger R/T clean air tube with the new IAT sensor. Coming UPS ground so will probably take afew days. I still have the rubber SRT air tube that I was going to use originally. I really like the higher quality rubber tube from the SRT but I guess i wanted to swap to the correct fitting SRT IAT and it was just a pain in the butt to adapt the wiring harness. I will wait until this part arrives before deciding, but I noticed there has become a shortage of the SRT parts because of everyone changing them out. I will most likely use the box but I may let the SRT air tube go. I want to do the 2011 chin spoiler upgrade and I am poor folk so that will help pay for that.

·
Registered
2,544 Posts
I obtained a Charger R/T air inlet tube from a friend that put on a CAI. Looks right and fits right. No increase in sound.

·
Registered
37 Posts
Pardon my ignorance, but can someone outline the benefits of a Clean Air Duct vs that of a CAI?

·
Registered
118 Posts
I obtained a Charger R/T air inlet tube from a friend that put on a CAI. Looks right and fits right. No increase in sound]
Thats curious that you hear no increase in sound. I had hoped for some, but from what I understand, the reason the Challenger has the baffle and the Charger does not was because the Challenger's less restrictive exhaust caused more noise and required the baffle to meet federal guidelines. I wonder if perhaps its a measurable difference as opposed to not so much an audible difference? I'm curious, is there any thing out there on the net (technical specs) that spell out exactly why this piece exists?

·
Registered
356 Posts
There will be an increase in sound, maybe you won't hear it from inside the vehicle but you will hear it from outside. You will probably also gain 1 HP or something. :)

·
Registered
118 Posts
There will be an increase in sound, maybe you won't hear it from inside the vehicle but you will hear it from outside. You will probably also gain 1 HP or something. :)
That's what I needed! I'm taking on that Ferrari down the street.:eek:hyeah:

·
Premium Member
1,748 Posts
Thats curious that you hear no increase in sound. I had hoped for some, but from what I understand, the reason the Challenger has the baffle and the Charger does not was because the Challenger's less restrictive exhaust caused more noise and required the baffle to meet federal guidelines. I wonder if perhaps its a measurable difference as opposed to not so much an audible difference? I'm curious, is there any thing out there on the net (technical specs) that spell out exactly why this piece exists?
If that were true, they could have never put the straight up CAI on a Mopar'10 and got away with it. :scratchhead:
So I'm thinking there was more to it.

·
Registered
118 Posts
Bamill88-
Pardon my ignorance, but can someone outline the benefits of a Clean Air Duct vs that of a CAI?
I am not making in inference as to your current knowledge, just explaining it as to how I'd like to have it explained to me. I'm as new at this as you are, but, here's my take. First of all, the term clean air tube is just the actual part name from Dodge for the intake tube from the air box to the throttle body on the 2011 Dodge Charger R/T. If you were to look at the 2011 Challenger R/T, the same tube probably has a different part name. Other then that, this whole discussion and the so many others just like it turn around whether an aftermarket CAI (Cold Air Intake) will give you better performance and more horsepower than the factory air box/ air intake setup, ie, cold air is more dense supplying more oxygen for better cleaner combustion. Try reading all of the discussions on here. It will eventually give you a headache. They vary from what material the CAI is made from (metal or plastic, metal absorbing heat and defeating the cold air from heat soak) to whether the CAI is actually bringing in cold air(the filter under the hood simply drawing in the engine heated air). For the most part, again, just my understanding from all the reading, the basic CAI under the hood is mainly for looks, give or take. Truthfully, most of it is over my head and I am not a stupid person. Even when I thought I had it figured out and was looking at a unit that moved the filter outside of the engine compartment and moved the IAT sensor to give a truer air temp reading I come across technical discussions that the amount of air the engine can use is limited by the size of your throttle body and with any decent intake, the engine is getting all of the air it can use. So.... a lot of us on here have determined that the Dodge engineers have it pretty close to right and with just maybe some very small changes you can't do much better without other major changes. The changes that I and many others have done are to change out the air tube from the air box to the throttle body on our R/T's to eliminate the silencer. This appendage, assumed to quiet the rumble (don't take our rumble :)) and possibly may be restricting air flow to the engine? This part on the R/T is replaced with the same part from the SRT or the new 2011 Charger piece without the silencer. Easy identical swaps. The SRT piece is rubber and with a friction fit for the IAT and the Charger piece is plastic and identical to the R/T and comes with a new IAT installed. The other swap is the box itself. Some, like myself, swap the SRT box for the R/T box. Again, a straight forward replacement. The difference? The SRT box has an opening on the front either for more air flow or more rumble or both. But... doesn't the opening on the front of the SRT box draw in hot air from under the hood??? Stop, don't go there, you have decided... :notallthere: Anyway, 20 minutes work and drop in a new higher flow replacement filter and you are done. What have you accomplished? I don't know, but it was fun. :bigthumb:

Disclaimer: If this could any way be taken more then one way and one of them upsets you, I meant it the other way.

·
Registered
118 Posts
If that were true, they could have never put the straight up CAI on a Mopar'10 and got away with it. :scratchhead:
So I'm thinking there was more to it.
I'm inclined to agree with you, but why? I can't find anything on it. It's all speculation.

·
Registered
356 Posts
I don't know how the EPA works but if the model is approved (RT) with the resonator box and they put out a few hundred without it, it may not be an issue.

I know from motorcycles that these resonator boxes get added later in the lifecycle of the bikes to overcome new emissions laws regarding sound, we often switch them out. Sometimes special models are made where they are missing again. Again, not sure on the fine print for EPA approval. They might not care much about low volume special editions. The purpose of the resonator is to reduce induction noise, there is a very slight decrease in intake efficiency.

I ordered one too, I like induction noise. :D

·
Registered
118 Posts
FYI
Mopar part #4861940AC

I ordered this part 2 days ago and the shipping status had not changed (NO STATUS)
I followed up with an email and they told me and I quote, "This part is being ordered like crazy and we had to order yours from one of our distribution centers" . He said hopefully he will get it today and ship it. Obviously a very popular choice.

·
Premium Member
180 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 ·
To bamill88,the benefit is more $$$ in your pocket!If you really look at how Dodge designed the intake system,there's no need to spend $200-300 on an aluminum/plastic tube.Just throw a K&N airfilter in and you're done!

·
Registered
171 Posts
Yep It is Good

I started a thread awhile back on this Air Duct. I had a parts guy work his butt off trying to find that part #. He warned me that it would be a part that would be very difficult to find once the Challenger groups found out about it. There is barely any diffrence in a CAI and this set up in performance. CAI looks prettier. Like RTRETRO mentioned throw a K&N filter in and you have it.

·
Registered
118 Posts
FYI
Mopar part #4861940AC

Part shipped yesterday. It left Jacksonville, Florida this morning at 2:30 am. Expected arrival is Monday. :) BTW, I called around to several other places and no one else has it either. 7 to 10 day wait.

·
Registered
1,573 Posts
Sweet find! Looks completely stock except for the missing resonator tube - exactly what I was looking for... just had to wait 2.5 years for it to be available... lol

1 - 20 of 77 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.