Dodge Challenger Forum banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
258 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Was just gonna say the state, but that baby is looking too good. lol

I figured with a catchy title like that I would get some action here...........don't know if I messed up with the McKees 37 iron remover, thinking maybe I didn't leave it on long enough, about 3 minutes worth..........hard to see from the pic, but I did have the red bleeding on the sides of the car, didn't rub on anything though............and was a little worried about hitting the new vinyl stripes with this stuff..........the car is 10 months old, so its first de-con...........getting confused on this deal though, if this is brake dust, how does one stay ahead of this game...........cant picture de-conning it every week.

Car does look better, but I still have quite a few rust dots going on here............any help would be great.

Kind of surprised everyone says this stuff smells bad............yeah it does, but not all that bad, since ma ma wouldn't clean my rims, I'm gonna throw a little of that McKees behind my ears tonight...............see how she likes that. lol

Rich

Attachments

·
Registered
258 Posts
Discussion Starter #2
Forgot to mention, after using the iron remover, I sprayed down car, then washed it, then clayed bared it, then washed it again, then threw on the Maguire's UFF.............still have some spots.

Rich

·
Super Moderator
2016 SXT Plus Blacktop
16,824 Posts
Usually the iron is for decon before a major correction. You spray it on, agitate lightly, then wash it off. Follow with a foaming and 2 bucket wash. Throw in a clay barring if necessary. You can follow that with a wipe down with Carpro Eraser, or IPA (Isopropyl Alcohol) dilution to remove all waxes and oils, or save that to remove the leftover polishing oils so your wax/sealant has a clean surface. Honestly, the iron remover is likely overkill for a 10 month old car, but if you want to, have at it for sure. A Guy

·
Registered
258 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Usually the iron is for decon before a major correction. You spray it on, agitate lightly, then wash it off. Follow with a foaming and 2 bucket wash. Throw in a clay barring if necessary. You can follow that with a wipe down with Carpro Eraser, or IPA (Isopropyl Alcohol) dilution to remove all waxes and oils, or save that to remove the leftover polishing oils so your wax/sealant has a clean surface. Honestly, the iron remover is likely overkill for a 10 month old car, but if you want to, have at it for sure. A Guy
A Guy, I agree with you on this, I shouldn't have to do this on a 10 month old car, but I threw the rest of the bottle on it today, seems like I have more iron than I need. lol.........I rubbed it some and that really helped, cant find any spots now.......I hope.

Then got serious and broke out the PC and went to town............a little HD Speed and its looking pretty good............you can see my other car in the reflection of the paint. Not sure if its the paint color or what, but the shine is no-where close to my other car, which has never been de-conned in 20 yrs, hd speed on it a few years ago, painted in a garage to boot..........only gets the $ 4 meg detail spray on it, not a garage queen by any means, sees about 3-5 thou miles per year..........lets just say its not even close. Love the challenger to death, 2nd one for me, but the paint seems to be lacking in areas.

Still happy with the results. Just wanted to say thanks for the help I got from you guys on this deal.

Rich

Attachments

·
Registered
2015 Scat Pack
2,230 Posts
A Guy, I agree with you on this, I shouldn't have to do this on a 10 month old car, but I threw the rest of the bottle on it today, seems like I have more iron than I need. lol.........I rubbed it some and that really helped, cant find any spots now.......I hope.

Then got serious and broke out the PC and went to town............a little HD Speed and its looking pretty good............you can see my other car in the reflection of the paint. Not sure if its the paint color or what, but the shine is no-where close to my other car, which has never been de-conned in 20 yrs, hd speed on it a few years ago, painted in a garage to boot..........only gets the $ 4 meg detail spray on it, not a garage queen by any means, sees about 3-5 thou miles per year..........lets just say its not even close. Love the challenger to death, 2nd one for me, but the paint seems to be lacking in areas.

Still happy with the results. Just wanted to say thanks for the help I got from you guys on this deal.

Rich
I'm not surprised you needed to decontaminate it. My car was fresh from the factory (although it sat for 30 days in "the yard" before being shipped) and I had quite a lot of "rail dust" to contend with; a 10 month car having a bunch more isn't out of the question.

White is actually harder to get that "deep shine" look than other colors, since white reflects so much. What you've accomplished so far looks good!

·
Super Moderator
15,349 Posts
Car does look better, but I still have quite a few rust dots going on here............any help would be great.
Rich
Rich - you probably had a combination of rail dust as well as brake dust and particles from the brake rotors.

Clay barring is the most effective way to remove brake dust and rail dust contaminants.

You'll be surprised at the brake dust that adheres to the paint - after you've clay barred (wash with a pre-prep to get paint clean and strip wax off) - the surface will be smooth.

Then polish and wax to finish the job.

·
Premium Member
The Bacon Hauler (‘12 Cop Charger)
6,039 Posts
Alright, your pictures clearly show you’ve got the paint in good shape, nice and clean and shiny indeed!

But where are the rest of the pics? You know, the ones of the engine bay, wheel wells, etc.

Heck, it cannot be called the cleanest Challenger in the world until we at least see some close-ups of the wheel barrels to show the lack of built up road grime, right?

1 - 9 of 9 Posts