Dodge Challenger Forum banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
332 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Need help cleaning this weatherstripping.
I am not sure but it looks like fungus or mold or what....

Need advice from the experts on how to clean it but not harm the rubber.

Already Tried:
Car wash soap
Aerospace 303

Thanks in advance.
:smile:

·
Registered
2015 SRT392 A8 in white pearl coat
1,352 Posts
Got spots? Show us a picture?

Though it kills mold and mildew, I'm thinking you don't want to use bleach on rubber. I've heard good things about Castrol Super Degreaser and then follow up with a protectant. One of the best rubber weatherstrip protectants is Gummi Pflege Stift. Pricey but one of the best. Then keep your rubber coated and protected to prevent future mold trouble.

·
Premium Member
3,196 Posts
Need help cleaning this weatherstripping.
I am not sure but it looks like fungus or mold or what....

Need advice from the experts on how to clean it but not harm the rubber.

Already Tried:
Car wash soap
Aerospace 303

Thanks in advance.
Are you talking about the black rubber triangle at the front of the door glass being greenish or rough? Back in 2013 they had a rash of badly manufactured weatherstrip that eroded like that and they were changing them under warranty.
http://www.challengertalk.com/forums/f188/deteriorating-weather-stripping-solutions-99134/index5.html

·
Registered
332 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
I forgot to attach the photos.

Bleach would probably be the best bet to clean it but i am concerned about damaging the rubber.
Take a look and see what you all think I should use.
It really is caked on...

Attachments

·
Registered
936 Posts
My wife's car has something like that also. I used Dawn with an old toothbrush and applied some 303 aerospace protectant on it. Didn't get rid of it but not noticeable now. I thought it had something to do with the sprinklers. Our sprinklers run off a well and the water is pretty hard.

·
Registered
332 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Yes Mike,
I am beginning to wonder if it will ever come all the way off and look like it is supposed to....
-Will have to try the dawn method.

·
Registered
2015 SRT392 A8 in white pearl coat
1,352 Posts
Did some research for ya. Came across some great info:
Mold and mildew are living organisms, as you know, and penetrate into porous materials. Weatherstripping contains shtuff that "dyes" it black, and more than one source said bleach can discolor the rubber. A couple automotive websites said to try hydrogen peroxide rather than bleach. Also came across this: try 2000 grit sand paper and then polishing compound and then wax. Sounds crazy but looks like you're desperate here. Maybe try a small inconspicuous area first? It might just work. Good luck and keep us posted.

Here's another thought: you're trying new things on your beloved Challenger. Why not try some of these same products on an old beater first? If you don't have one, the neighbor does.
Gary

·
Super Moderator
2016 SXT Plus Blacktop
16,959 Posts

·
Registered
332 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Did some research for ya. Came across some great info:
Mold and mildew are living organisms, as you know, and penetrate into porous materials. Weatherstripping contains shtuff that "dyes" it black, and more than one source said bleach can discolor the rubber. A couple automotive websites said to try hydrogen peroxide rather than bleach. Also came across this: try 2000 grit sand paper and then polishing compound and then wax. Sounds crazy but looks like you're desperate here. Maybe try a small inconspicuous area first? It might just work. Good luck and keep us posted.

Here's another thought: you're trying new things on your beloved Challenger. Why not try some of these same products on an old beater first? If you don't have one, the neighbor does.
Gary
Hey Gary,
I just thought of something; Peroxide will bleach organic material and turn it white,
Things like human hair, my dobermans ear fur (he had a scratch on his ear), and other things.
Has anyone tried it on rubber here?

I will definitely experiment on a beater first....
Thanks.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts