Dodge Challenger Forum banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
195 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
So my 4 year old was riding and the backseat and has been feeling ill. Well apparently the car made him sicker and he threw up. I got it up rather quickly and there is little visible damage, but the smell is terrible. What would you recommend to use for cleaning to get it back to looking (and smelling) brand new? Thanks

·
Registered
241 Posts
ugh...let me tell you from my experience that you can't buy anything in terms of a spray off the shelf that will really fix your problem. If you have a home steam carpet cleaner by Hoover as an example and it has a hose and hand attachements that will work with a higher soap solution and I sprayed mine with a bottle of pet stain and odor remover to kill the smell.

Short of having one of those at home I would tke it to your nearest interior detail shop and just ask them to shampoo that area with their power cleaner...I did that recently as well and the guy charged me $20 for his time. Well worth it....

·
Registered
2,412 Posts
Hi Bfunk,

I would strongly suggest searching a detailing site like Autopia.org for answers. There are professional products made specifically for this sort of problem (organic material/stain/odor removal) and you will find more responses/suggestions on that site (many of the members there are professional detailers). I'm not saying anyone's opinion here is less valuable but the additional input won't hurt. Here are some search results I came up with:

vomit smell aite:autopia.org - Google Search

·
Premium Member
3,005 Posts
Replace the carpet?

·
Registered
2,412 Posts
Replace the carpet?
....nah. There are solutions that will likely work. The problem is getting all of the organic material out of the carpet, padding and crevices which is the source of the odor. There are specific cleaners that use enzymes(?) to help neutralize these sorts of things. If you were going to the trouble of removing the carpet with the intention of replacing it, then there are things you can do to more thoroughly clean the existing one while it is out of the car that would most certainly work.

·
Registered
195 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
well I had gotten it up rather quickly, so it doesnt seem it got too deep into the carpet. I used some turtle wax carpet cleaner and it seemed to do the trick. I guess the real test will be in the morning after the smell of the carpet cleaner has worn off.

·
Premium Member
3,873 Posts
GM used to sell a dry powder chemical cleaner that worked better than any wet spray stuff.

Was very good.

Dry Non Solvent
Spot and Soil Remover # 1052930

We used it all the time back in the day at the dealers...See if you can get some of that stuff :) good luck!

·
Registered
386 Posts
I would start with a good extraction to remove all the solids out of the carpet. Then I would use a good Ozone machine to completly nuetralize the odors. Ozone will eliminate biological odors. That is what I would do at my detail shop.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts