Dodge Challenger Forum banner

1 - 20 of 20 Posts

·
Premium Member
3,546 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Before everyone starts yelling at me for posting this, I did look at search because I thought I saw it before but all I get is a bunch of unlelated threads. Anyway, I was wondering what most of you guys use to make your dash and door panels look new again. My cars only a couple of months old and they are already dingy looking. I wipe them down and get all the stuff off but they just don't look right. Thanks for any help.
Rick

·
Premium Member
698 Posts
Try 303 cleaner/protectant

·
Premium Member
1,690 Posts
JaxWax Super Blue.... Works great, and also does not leave a greasy feeling.

Mike

·
Registered
651 Posts
For what it's worth if you read your owners manual under care / maint,
it clearly says use no cleaning product, just warm water on a cloth for anything in the interior,
That's all I do and it looks ok.
:smoker:

·
Premium Member
3,546 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
For what it's worth if you read your owners manual under care / maint,
it clearly says use no cleaning product, just warm water on a cloth for anything in the interior,
That's all I do and it looks ok.
:smoker:
Thanks, I do that and like you said it looks OK, but everything else looks so good, OK looks dingy.

·
Registered
2,412 Posts
I'm a big user of 303 (I buy it by the gallon), but I really don't like any kind of added sheen on the interior bits of my vehicles. I prefer products like 1Z Cockpit Premium for this task or (for a very similar OTC solution), Meguiars Quik Interior Detailer. They leave a natural/OEM-like finish, gently clean and contain UV inhibitors to help protect the surfaces they are applied to. They also have a pleasant, clean, citrus smell to them that doesn't linger longer than a few hours. 303 is certainly a great performing product though if you don't mind the satin-like appearance.

·
Registered
9,272 Posts
MaGuires interior detail spray is what I use.
I use Armor all leather cleaner/conditioner wipes on my auto and home leather furniture for years with excellent results

·
Registered
1,539 Posts
MaGuires interior detail spray is what I use.
I use Armor all leather cleaner/conditioner wipes on my auto and home leather furniture for years with excellent results
I used to use Mequairs as well, Armor all has a well known history of cracking dashes however, so in general unless it's tire cleaner I avoid them. I use the turtle wax ICE full interior auto care for everything, leather\dash\panels, makes everything look and smell new, best stuff I've ever used, as it works great, isn't greasy, and can be applied on darn near anything, smells good too.

I'll still go over the seats every 3-4 months with mequairs LEATHER conditioner\cleaner just to make sure the leather is getting proper treatment.

·
Registered
9,272 Posts
I used to use Mequairs as well, Armor all has a well known history of cracking dashes however, so in general unless it's tire cleaner I avoid them. I use the turtle wax ICE full interior auto care for everything, leather\dash\panels, makes everything look and smell new, best stuff I've ever used, as it works great, isn't greasy, and can be applied on darn near anything, smells good too.

I'll still go over the seats every 3-4 months with mequairs LEATHER conditioner\cleaner just to make sure the leather is getting proper treatment.
true and I don't use armor all dash cleaner.
But their leather wipes have worked very well for me.
All my vehicles have had leather interior and not one, even in San Antonio, ever cracked or faded.

·
Registered
2,412 Posts
I used to use Mequairs as well, Armor all has a well known history of cracking dashes however, so in general unless it's tire cleaner I avoid them.
....that "history" (deservedly or not) was from a time when Armor All was using a different formulation that has long since been changed. Unfortunately, that reputation has stuck with them but is based more on hearsay than actual facts these days.

·
Registered
1,539 Posts
....that "history" (deservedly or not) was from a time when Armor All was using a different formulation that has long since been changed. Unfortunately, that reputation has stuck with them but is based more on hearsay than actual facts these days.
To be honest, on their part being a complete "car-care" company of polishes\interior detailing\waxing, it was a HUGE mistake on them, and in general they are still known as the "bottom-line" car-cleaner manufacture, their stuff is cheap for sure, the only thing I personally use is the tire cleaner as stated prior...I'd much rather use a "better" product on my car when it comes to interior\exterior.

·
Registered
2,412 Posts
To be honest, on their part being a complete "car-care" company of polishes\interior detailing\waxing, it was a HUGE mistake on them, and in general they are still known as the "bottom-line" car-cleaner manufacture, their stuff is cheap for sure, the only thing I personally use is the tire cleaner as stated prior...I'd much rather use a "better" product on my car when it comes to interior\exterior.
....I guess it depends on who you ask. AA is still one of the best selling, well known brands on the market today. Having said that, I personally haven't used their products for many years and even when I did it was limited. ....mostly their tire dressing and a (long discontinued) vinyl cleaner that I remembered worked quite well. However, I honestly can't judge anything from their current line because (simply put), I haven't used any of it. Like you though, I also prefer to use other products but that’s simply because I have had no reason or desire to try anything from the AA line. ….perhaps partly (subconsciously) due what you said.

In either case, I guess my point previously was that the alleged “dash/tire cracking” problem is an old argument. Getting actual facts or an explanation regarding the affect their old formulation may or may not have had on some materials is not easy. After mulling around on various detailing forums over the years I have seen this topic come up more than once. It certainly appears the root of the issue stemmed from Armor All's old formulation(s). You will also sometimes find two types of products being discussed related to the topic: water based (i.e. PDMS - Polydimethylsiloxane) vs. solvent based (i.e. DMS - Dimethyl). ....the latter being the one that is usually stigmatized and that some believe Armor All once contained. Either way, that isn't the case now....

What are the ingredients in Armor All® Protectants? Do they include silicone, alcohol, ultraviolet inhibitors and petroleum distillates?
Armor All® Leather Care contains lanolin and natural moisturizers, and UV inhibitors. Armor All® Leather Care Protectant Spray and Leather Wipes contain water-based silicone emulsions, surfactants, and ultraviolet light inhibitors. Armor All® Original Shine Protectant contains water-based silicone emulsions, surfactants, and ultraviolet light inhibitors, humectants, dispersants and gloss enhancers. Armor All® Ultimate Clean Protectant contains water-based silicone emulsions, surfactants, ultraviolet light inhibitors and a fragrance.

·
Registered
177 Posts
The UPS driver just delivered my bottle of 303 from Amazon. WOW!!! This stuff is the best conditioner EVER. It leaves the dashboard and plastic components in showroom quality with WITHOUT that greesy (cheap) look that other products leave behind. I would recommend 303 to everyone without hesitation or caution. :thumbsup::thumbsup::thumbsup:

·
Registered
2,412 Posts
My favorite interior cleaner is Meguiar's Quick Interior Detailer -- zero added sheen. It is inexpensive for regular use. Meg's now sells it in gallons.
….I completely agree. In fact, I find QID very similar to my usual favorite, Einzsett (1Z) Cockpit Premium. ….so much so that since Meg came out with the gallon sizes of QID, I made the decision to switch over. It’s much cheaper and (IMO/IME) performs close enough to 1Z that the price difference is simply no longer worth it. ….although I will likely always have a small bottle of it around. I will say that QID does leave a little bit of something behind but not nearly enough to discern a difference between 1ZCP (IMO). Ever since Meguiars reformulated QID to include UV inhibitors, I noticed the subtle change.

btw, don’t get me wrong. I am a big fan (and user) of 303 AP. ….I buy it by the gallon. However, I simply don’t like adding any sheen to interior surfaces. Products like QID and 1Z CP leave a nice, OEM-like finish along with a clean, fresh, non-lingering scent.

The following is a door panel I used to demonstrate the difference between 303 and 1Z CP. The panel was in good shape with no notable fading. I thoroughly cleaned it with Meguiars APC+ before masking and applying each product. The 303 was applied and then thoroughly buffed with a clean, dry towel per the manufacturers instructions (there is no greasy, excess residue left from the product when used correctly):

·
Premium Member
205 Posts
Mopar Total Clean pretty mild doesnt leave any residue and doesnt change the new car appearance gives a new car smell too. For black vinyl, soft plastic and rubber that really needs to be cleaned and black brought back I use the Mequires No 40 professional (takes wax off rubber and vinyl too) I use it on my tires gives the rubber a NEW look without a DRESSING look and does not attract dust its a cleaner.

1 - 20 of 20 Posts