Dodge Challenger Forum banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
1,839 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I took my Mopar mud flaps off my 09 today. I've always washed them every time I washed the car, coated them with Meguiars tire black to keep them from looking washed out. They always looked like brand new. Until now...

I would like to know, if I scuff them up w/ a light sanding and paint them, WHAT paint to use that isn't going to peel off in a couple months? They are black but they're looking more like a gray-ish black. Would any spray paint work? Would I be better off getting a 3M paint or high temp paint? Has anyone done this before?

I also have some small HEMI stick on badges that I'm thinking of attaching along the bottom of the flaps and covering with a couple coats of Clear. Again, has anyone done anything like this?

The flaps aren't cheap... I don't want to dish out another 100 or so for a replacement set.

Thanks!! I'm confident someone here will be able to guide me thru this..

·
Registered
4,434 Posts

·
Registered
1,839 Posts
Discussion Starter #3 (Edited)
Sent from AutoGuide.com Free App

I haven't tried Mother's. I just don't want to be scrubbing them every time I wash the car. It seems like the unfinished flaps attract everything. There's no sheen to them and anything just sticks like glue. I've been using the Meguiars stuff that smells like grapes. It works for a few weeks then back to scrubbing.

Thanks for the tip. I'll give it a try.

·
Registered
4,434 Posts
Yeah, I've been doing the Meguiar's Ultimate Protectant myself on all the lower trim, and you gotta keep applying it every few weeks on a daily driver. Bit of a chore, but I have to spray detailer and polish the paint anyway so it's not like it's any better for me. Maybe Aerospace 303 would be better/longer-lasting.
I wouldn't know how to prep correctly and paint that type of material, but it's done all the time (with plastidip too) and I'm sure that someone will have tips on that for you.

·
Registered
1,839 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
I've tried the Mother's black.. coated them real good and let them dry in the house for 2 days. Then I started swishing them in a sink of soapy car wash water. In/out/Dry, etc... it didn't last very long before it all washed off and the flaps started looking dull/black/washed out.

I found a new Krylon Paint -- Fusion. Its made for plastic with no sanding, priming, etc. I'm going to give one a couple coats today and do the same thing as above. Worst that can happen? I go buy another set. If it works, then I'm bringing a little bit of my 09 R/T with me to the new Shaker.

the testing goes on...

·
Registered
1,839 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Sent from AutoGuide.com Free App

The flaps run about 50 per axle. I can think of better things to throw 100 towards... sequential tail lights, cat back, etc...

So far... I lightly scuffed them up with a drywall sponge after washing them for 50 times. Took any remaining wax/polish/conditioner off without gouging the flap. 1st coat of the new paint is on. They do look good so far. The Fusion paint is guaranteed not to crack, peel... we will see. I really have nothing to lose.

·
Registered
305 Posts
you could wrap them in vinyl as well...im doing all my black undertrim in 3m dinoc carbon fiber white...dont have mud flaps but sure it would work...it has an outdoor life of 5-7 years and dirt comes right off it...just an idea

·
Premium Member
2,943 Posts
I hate black plastic trim but the automakers (especially GM) love it. I found the Optimum Opti-Seal works great and is semi permanent. At first I thought it was just another failure but I found if I kept applying coats to the CLEAN black trim until the trim stayed black after drying it works great and stays that way for many dirty/wash cycles.

·
Registered
4,434 Posts
In the Challenger's case the concept's lower trim was body-colored, but the designers realized that the car was much chunkier than the classic it was modeled after so they wisely went with black to give it a slimmer profile. Still thick-looking, but a little better.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts