Dodge Challenger Forum banner

1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
200 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
What's the best, easiest product out there to clean and keep brake dust off stock wheels?

·
Registered
47 Posts
Powerstop Z23 low dust pads work great!! I also bought a webster cob web brush from amazon 48" handle works great and doesn't scratch the wheels it's like a mop for your wheels

·
Registered
2015 SRT 392
2,717 Posts
The first thing that I did was change the brake pads to some Powerstop Z23 ones. I then sold the stock 6 pot Brembo's on here. They are Great pads for the track, but dust like crazy on the street.

As far as cleaning the wheels, I use Sonax wheel cleaner. It's ph neutral (no acids) and is safe for any wheel. You spray it on green and as it works, it turns red. This tells you to work it around with a wheel brush and then rinse it. It works Great!

After cleaning them, if you put some wax on them, they'll be easier to clean. With the Powerstop pads though, it's not necessary because they hardly dust.

By the way, that's a Beautiful T/A that you've got. That's a really sharp color!

·
Premium Member
2,659 Posts
I use glass wipes, work fine.

·
Super Moderator
2016 SXT Plus Blacktop
17,045 Posts
Clean them with Sonax Wheel Cleaner Full Effect, then coat them with Sonax Polymer Net Shield. It lasts for months, and the dust will wash off easily. This review is mostly about paint coating, but wheels are even easier.

Product Review: Sonax Polymer Net Shield | Ask a Pro Blog

This review is for their Rim Shield, but see this excerpt from the review

Durability

This is where, for me, the uncertainty of having a spot in my arsenal comes in. The product states it lasts about six weeks, which it does. Which would be great, if they had not invented Polymer Net Shield. For only .04/mL more you get a product that lasts six months and is just as easy to apply.

Conclusion

Sonax Wheel Rim Shield is a great product that does exactly what it says it will do. Easy to apply, excellent hydrophobic capabilities and looks amazing. However, the price difference to longevity ratio when compared to Polymer Net Shield makes it a difficult product to choose in my work.
Product Review: Sonax Wheel Rim Shield

A Guy

·
Registered
941 Posts
3 different Challengers. All 3 got the Power Stop Z pads. Unbelievable how much cleaner these pads are. My 2010 SRT8 and Scat Pack both got a coat of wax on inside and outside of wheels. My Hellcat got Chemical Guys Max Coat on wheels and calipers. So far I'm very happy with this.

·
Super Moderator
13,872 Posts
My 2010 SRT8 and Scat Pack both got a coat of wax on inside and outside of wheels.
I also keep the forged aluminum wheels on my 2009 SRT looking new by waxing them. This allows the Brembo brake dust to easily be removed. For this, I use a spray bottle filled with water and a wet paper towel for the inside of the wheels and a microfiber towel with Meguiars Detail Spray for the exterior.

·
Registered
175 Posts
Waxed and sealed my Hurst wheels on my SRT. Now can just wipe them off with a microfiber towel.

·
Registered
111 Posts
My experience with brake dust is regularly clean them every time you wash your car.

Brake pads will reduce and is key.

Cleaning - any wheel cleaner with agitation works so that is your preference. I've used sonax but now use the eagle one just for the readily availability can't tell any difference.

Protection, I like blue magic polish. Use this once every so many months or when I get a random hair up my @$$. In between again just regular cleaning and never had any caked on brake dust.

I do the same to all my vehicles and they all wash off no problem especially my off roader that always gets caked and neglected the most

·
Registered
42 Posts
I use mckees hydro blue spray coating on them after I wash them. Break dust and grime doesn't stick to it and they're much easier to clean next time.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G935A using Tapatalk

·
Registered
Furious Fuchsia 2010 Challenger R/T Classic A5
371 Posts
I take the wheels off in the spring to thoroughly clean the barrels (because wheels aren't clean if you can see dirty barrels behind the faces) and also dress the fender liners.

I then seal the entire wheel with a sealant or coating, and dress it (I currently use the extremely hydrophobic Sonax Polymer Net Shield).

I subsequently dress the wheel faces after a light wheel cleaning with each wash. For me, this is key in keeping the brake dust in check - simple, regular maintenance.

·
Premium Member
3,695 Posts
Google Daytona Speed Wheel Brush, they work great for cleaning t barrel area while washing the wheels. They look like a giant baby bottle brush.
I also use the Sonax wheel cleaner, works great. Expensive by the bottle, but look for deals from Detailers Domain, in the 5 litre size bottle.
NEVER use the cheapo caustic "wheel fire" type cleaner from your local auto parts store. It was cheap stuff like that that stained my painted Envy wheels. I was able to rub it out, but what a PITA!

·
Registered
Furious Fuchsia 2010 Challenger R/T Classic A5
371 Posts
Watch out with those racoon tail style brushes - even the ones with the rubber protective disk behind the brush - as they have a significant amount of back-splatter which could potentially fling hazardous chemicals and grime into your eyeballs!

The trick is to spray the bristles with the hose as they're pulled free of the wheel. Tedious with many spokes but far safer. Have you looked at the MSDS on some of this detailing stuff!?

·
Registered
815 Posts
With concern to the raccoon tail brushes, get a styrofoam plate and put it by the handle - make a hole just big enough in the plate to run it through the bristles and stop at the handle. The plate works great at keeping the splatter away from you. I can't take credit for this, saw it on YouTube years ago.

Sent from AutoGuide.com Free App

1 - 16 of 16 Posts