Dodge Challenger Forum banner

1 - 20 of 25 Posts

·
Super Moderator
13,874 Posts
I shine my rims with Meguiars NXT Tech Wax 2.0.

In the cold months, I use Windex and paper towels to clean off the brake dust inside the wheel.

·
Registered
142 Posts
I usually hand wash them then I use the Armor All Wheel stuff that lasts a couple of months. I let it sit on the rims for about 2 hours before polishing them. It really does work and regardless of where/how I drive, they look great for a LONG time.

·
Registered
353 Posts
I only use soap and water on my stock Alcoas and whenever I'm done driving I take a microfiber cloth and wipe off the brake dust from the Brembos. I don't drive in the rain so the dust and dirt come off fairly easy.

For my satin black viper wheels I use WD-40 on a microfiber cloth after washing them. It works like a champion for keeping them looking clean and new. Brake dust makes them look faded but the WD-40 brings back the satin finish. If you use WD-40 just remember to wipe off the excess because it will attract dirt.

·
Registered
2,412 Posts
99% of the time, I simply use a car wash solution as I would for the rest of the car. ....washing them separately from the rest of the vehicle. I use a combination of boars hair brushes for the spokes/lugs/calipers and a long, wheel-specific nylon brush for the inner hub (also works well on the fender liners).

Using a good wax/sealant will go a long way to making them much easier to clean and keeping them looking nice (I prefer something like FK1000p or Opti-Seal for this task).

·
Registered
389 Posts
When I had the Alcoas on my SRT, I used Meguiar's Hot Rims for aluminum wheels. Stuff was great - spray on, use a microfibre mit and it just wipes right off - rinse and they look like new. What I liked about the product was the ability to easily clean the inside of the rims as well as outside - that stuff is great. Now that I have chrome wheels, I use the same product made for chrome - just as effective.

·
Registered
74 Posts
Frequent use of a normal car wash solution and a separate mitt is highly recommended. If you use a spray wax, you can quickly and easily add protection and shine.

Should you need a dedicated wheel cleaner, be sure you use one that is safe for factory coated wheels.

·
Registered
585 Posts
alright quick question!! Just bought a set of used classic rims and would like to polish and wax them up before i install them. What would you suggest i use on the classics as opposed to the alcoas on the srt's? Unfortunately the weather here in new york has been dreadful and I probably won't be able to install them until some time in june lol. I'm just waiting for all this damn snow to melt!!!!!

·
Registered
2,412 Posts
alright quick question!! Just bought a set of used classic rims and would like to polish and wax them up before i install them. What would you suggest i use on the classics as opposed to the alcoas on the srt's? Unfortunately the weather here in new york has been dreadful and I probably won't be able to install them until some time in june lol. I'm just waiting for all this damn snow to melt!!!!!
....what wax/sealant do you have on hand? As long as the product isn't abrasive, there is not much to worry about in that respect.

Personally (as I mentioned earlier), I like FK1000p or Opti-Seal for this task simply because of the characteristics of both products. FK is resilient and sheds better than most while OS is very easy to apply for follow-ups (I use an airbrush). Either way, this is one of those situations where anything is typically better than nothing.

·
Registered
177 Posts
Last week, I bought some Meguiars Hot Rims and it worked great, but it's not cheap. This week, I bought a container of Simple Green (concentrate) at WallMart. I mixed some Simple Green in a spray bottle, added water, then sprayed down my wheels letting them soak for a few minutes. I hosed down the wheels and I was shocked at the results. The Simple Green worked just as good as the Meguiars, but at a mere fraction of the cost. I had some heavy brake dust on the front wheels and the Simple Green knocked it down like magic.

·
Registered
585 Posts
kean those products you mention can they be bought at any automotive store or are they only available to order online or some other way? also are they cleaners or waxes? For u mr mopar rider, the meguires product is that a wax or cleaner? I believe i have seen that in the local autozone so that shouldn't be a problem getting my hands on. Can i use the simple green first as a wash then put a coat of any wax(non abrasive of course) on them. I'm sure I have wax in my garage that I haven't finished using cause something new and exciting came along.

·
Registered
2,412 Posts
kean those products you mention can they be bought at any automotive store or are they only available to order online or some other way? also are they cleaners or waxes?
Those two I mentioned are more easily found online. The FK1000p (by FinishKare) is a paste wax:

Finish Kare 1000P Hi-Temp Paste Wax, high melt polymer car wax, Finish care auto wax

It will leave residue in crevices and can be hard to remove if you apply it too thick. However, I found using a QD (quick detailer) like FK425 (another FinishKare product I have on hand) can make it much easier to remove FK1000p residue if necessary. I found FK1000p sheds contaminants easier than most other wax/sealants I have tried but application is pretty old school. You apply, let haze for about 15 minutes and wipe off the residue. It's a synthetic product that has a relatively high melting temperature. ....which is why its labeled "Hi-Temp Paste Wax" on the tin.

Optimum Opti-Seal is what they call a WOWA or "wipe on, walk away" product. It's clear and has the consistency of an extremely light oil:

Optimum Opti-Seal 8 oz. Free Bonus!

You spray the applicator (about 2-3 pumps to prime the pad) and then apply in thin, even, overlapping strokes. I typically apply via airbrush however. In either case, less is better with this product. Once applied, you simply let dry. ....no wiping necessary unless you apply too much.

Any good wax/sealant will work. I wouldn't go out of your way to buy the products I mentioned. The OS is quite expensive and I actually have several waxes/sealants in my cabinets that I use for various vehicles/situations. Typically, a lot of folks will simply use what they are using on the rest of the car. In most situations, that's enough. Some sort of wax/sealant will usually make your wheels easier to clean in the long run.

·
Registered
237 Posts
The Classic wheels are clear coated aluminum. treat them like any other painted surface

1 - 20 of 25 Posts