Dodge Challenger Forum banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Premium Member
456 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hey everybody, I am driving my new GVE challenger back up to Alaska this summer, The roads to Alaska and in Alaska are not very smooth, If you drive your car year round up here, its normal to replace your window every other year. I plan on parking the car during the winter months up here.

So now you have a background of what my driving conditions are.
I am considering putting clear armor on my new challenger to keep the rock / boulder chips off the paint. The package covers the whole front end to include the first 12" of hood, the pillars, above the window, side mirrors for $620 dollars.
The dealer said its warrenty from comming off and defects for 5 years.

My wife had it installed on her car and the only place I see where it shows is on the hood.

Has anybody had this done to there car? :scratchhead:Thanks AK907.
Rock chips or plastic thats the question?

·
Registered
2,492 Posts
I've had the Venture Shield brand of invisible paint protection on my Charger for 5 years. It works great. The only rock chip I have is on an A-pillar, which I didn't have done. I also have it on my Challenger. I highly recommend it. If it's a quality product, that's not a bad price. You might also want to have it applied behind the wheels.

·
Registered
1,028 Posts
Sounds cool, but I would rather call it "See-thru Bra" for some reason. :)

·
Premium Member
456 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Thanks, The dealer called Digi shield. I will have it done.

·
Registered
977 Posts
Look at Diamond Shield. I have it on my RV. Some people love and others hate it. It is expensive to repair as in the removal process you will probably remove some paint.

·
Registered
375 Posts
I have the Venture Shield on mine in this photo. It's on the full front fascia and mirrors. Nothing on the hood. Made the round trip to the Nats and it looks as good as when I left. I highly recommend it.

Attachments

·
Registered
30 Posts
Look at Diamond Shield. I have it on my RV. Some people love and others hate it. It is expensive to repair as in the removal process you will probably remove some paint.
The reason why paint sometimes lifts on RVs when removing the film is that the RV manufacturers apply the film on fresh paint. They do not have a booth large enough to bake the paint and speed up the curing process. Honestly its a shame they do that but its their only option. Applying film to cars is very safe and unless its a fresh paint job (been painted within 30 days) or its a poor quality paint job you will not have to worry about film lifting paint.

·
Premium Member
2,786 Posts
The reason why paint sometimes lifts on RVs when removing the film is that the RV manufacturers apply the film on fresh paint. They do not have a booth large enough to bake the paint and speed up the curing process. Honestly its a shame they do that but its their only option. Applying film to cars is very safe and unless its a fresh paint job (been painted within 30 days) or its a poor quality paint job you will not have to worry about film lifting paint.
Good info. TY!:thumbsup:

Looking at something like this for new car.

·
Premium Member
1,572 Posts
I'm looking to get some Venture Shield installed on mine. Probably at least the bumper and the mirrors. It's not cheap but neither is taking chip marks off the body and facia.

·
Registered
33 Posts
How does something like this effect the look while polishing and waxing?

Does the paint on those parts look differently? Does wax build up around the edges of where the protective covering is applied?

·
Registered
2,492 Posts
Use a product like Plexus on the film. It keeps it pliable and slick.

If you use a quality film, you won't be able to tell it's there. The paint will look no different, since a quality film is optically clear. Yes, wax and dirt can build up around the edges of the film. Some Plexus and a microfiber towel will take care of that. The stuff really is low maintenance.

·
Registered
977 Posts
It will not shine like paint after a few years... But, you can use Plexus, 303 Protectant or Protect All to keep it clean and make it easy to get the bugs off. Here is a photo of my RV in 2004 when it was new. The Diamond Shield starts at the bottom of the windshield an goes to the bottom of grill roll pan. I goes from mirror to mirror on the sides.

·
Registered
2,492 Posts
When I keep a good coat of Plexus on mine, it shines just as much as the paint.

1 - 13 of 13 Posts