Dodge Challenger Forum banner

1 - 20 of 22 Posts

·
Registered
127 Posts
we just did a front end treatment to the front of our 392. It's like a 3M clear coat that can be removed in the future with no damage to paint or decals. .. ( so we are told ) this is the first time we have tried this. It was put on by a professional and the pieces are lazer cut. It cost us $650. They did the whole front end including the headlights and wrapped up the hood a distance and around the fenders. It is hard to see it until you look real close.

·
Premium Member
542 Posts
Yes...I am interested in this as well...

·
Registered
127 Posts
well, we just had it put on and it is still like winter up here in NH so we haven't had the chance to drive and wash the car yet. I have heard that they come off easily ( bugs) and it does help prevent chips and pits from flying dirt and debris. We'll let you all know once we have it out on the road.

·
Premium Member
359 Posts
I've had the 3M Ultrashield clear film applied to all my Challengers and wouldn't go without it. It gives you piece of mind for interstate driving where the likelihood of picking up rock chips is greatly increased. I also had film applied behind each of my tires and on the backs of my mirrors. I wax it with the rest of the car and it makes bug removal a lot easier. It's a great investment and a "must have" IMO.

·
Registered
568 Posts
I've had it on my SRT for 9500, mostly Interstate, miles.
No chips; bugs do come off OK, but some nasty bugs make a subtle change in the gloss of the film. This can be corrected by waxing.
I am sold on this method of keeping my finish protected.

·
Registered
1,462 Posts
Google master window tinting.....this guy installs the clear film. There are pics of my old 09 RT in his website. He shows part of the installation. This guy is very passionate about his work.

·
Premium Member
359 Posts
In my area it is a father and son business and they come to my garage. Average cost is about $650. The warranty is also transferrable should you decide to sell in the future.

·
Premium Member
456 Posts
Diamond shield . com is website that has it. I talked to a local body shop and said it works great until you get a fender bender, they said it would not come off the front bumper with out removing the vehicals paint and they spent alot of time in labor removing it. I am having the dealer install my GWE SRT as I have a 2500 mile trip from the dealership back up to Alaska.

·
Registered
26 Posts
I installed the 3m film myself. I put it on the lower panels of the car behind the wheels and on the lower door. It went on pretty easily. I did find one spec of dust that got under the film. I did not do the front of the car which may be a little tougher with the curves.

I did it for the chip protection because I have one mile of gravel road until I reach the highway.

·
Registered
3,380 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
i got a price today of $850

that price is for the hood/fender kit and a bumper kit

i was told the stripes are a major issue...the material has to be cut exact to be touching the stripe edge..if there's a gap it will fill with dirt

I am also told of a problem with bright white...it will show the most and have issued w/ turning grey or yellow w/ age

the stripes probably wont be able to be protected....

this is my first estimate and it was a referral from the local body shop....

i am wondering if its worth it

how much to repaint the whole car in 10 years if it needs it?
that $850 could go towards that

i dont want it to show much....im already putting plastic down on the seats....putting the whole car in a bubble is silly

maybe ill just do the hood/fenders and leave the bumper

·
Registered
629 Posts
i got a price today of $850

that price is for the hood/fender kit and a bumper kit

i was told the stripes are a major issue...the material has to be cut exact to be touching the stripe edge..if there's a gap it will fill with dirt

I am also told of a problem with bright white...it will show the most and have issued w/ turning grey or yellow w/ age

the stripes probably wont be able to be protected....

this is my first estimate and it was a referral from the local body shop....

i am wondering if its worth it

how much to repaint the whole car in 10 years if it needs it?
that $850 could go towards that

i dont want it to show much....im already putting plastic down on the seats....putting the whole car in a bubble is silly

maybe ill just do the hood/fenders and leave the bumper
Well, I never heard of this until I got my Corvette. And tons of those guys get half their cars wrapped in plastic (Venture Shield or 3M, etc). They swear it works, yet, how do you know? How do you know the paint wouldn't look just as good without the protection?

My car is 4 years old, 32K miles, daily driver, and yes, even in the winter (no snow, but I've seen plenty of stones, gravel, salt and other crap). I have only a slight amount of "sand blasting" affect behind the front wheels, but my hood and front bumper are perfect. Lots don't believe when I say that, but I take great care of my cars, and I have no issues from driving without plastic wrap on mine.

Up to you, some swear by it, I just don't like the idea of it. Can always have a body shop do some touch up in few years if needed, or keep it long enough to get it repainted completely.

·
Registered
14 Posts
I also put a 3m kit on my IE, I did the complete front end, 1/4 doors, mirrors, A-post, front of the roof, quarters and I did the full rear bumper.
It was $$$$, but I wouldn't go without it. I live in the south and have washed mine a couple of times and everything washes off well and protects from rocks well also...

:bigthumb:

1 - 20 of 22 Posts