Dodge Challenger Forum banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Roughly two weeks ago after coming home from they gym, as I pulled into my driveway I heard a hollow ticking coming from the passenger wheel well that got slower as I slowed down. I went to the store, car wash as well as other locations within a five mile radius, and nothing. My gym is a half hr drive, and it does it everytime I go there or come back.

I did some reading through the forum and found an instance that was almost identical to my problem, and he found it to be the wheel hub bearing assembly. I figured given that it was pretty much the same problem I had, I figured that would be a good place to start,but now here I am, still have the ticking and a new wheel hub bearing assembly.

it’s not engine related because rpms have no effect on it, it’s the speed at which the wheels are turning. The sound is most reminiscent of a card in the spokes of a bicycle. I have also checked the wheel well, nothing is touching tye wheel or rubbing from what I can see, and it only seems to recreate itself when the car is warmed up.

I have attached a video, you can here the sound as I’m slowing down and coming to a stop

Video Jul 20, 5 05 43 PM.mov

·
Registered
2,765 Posts
Couple of things. Which wheel bearing that is bad -- if one is bad at all -- can sometimes be hard to identify. So there is the possibility that you replaced the wrong wheel bearing.

A good plan is to with the car in the air supported by factory sanctioned body/chassis lift points give each wheel/tire assembly a check for any play in the vertical and horizontal axes.

Assuming it is not a wheel bearing a possible explanation is it is tire related or wheel related. However, that it takes some time to manifest the noise it could be brake related. What can sometimes happen is the hardware that helps hold the pads in the caliper and let them move in and out but keep them from rattling can fail. While the pad won't fall out it can "flutter" as it makes light contact with the spinning rotor.

If you feel the noise is coming from the front then again with the car in the air as described above remove both front wheels and check the brakes. The odds are high if it is a brake hardware problem you will find one side normal and the other side not normal, with a broken/missing hardware component or a bad pad.

·
Registered
1,395 Posts
Remove the tire and inspect your wheel well liner. Look to see if there is any sign of rubbing. Those flimsy things can sometimes get loose and rub on the tire. Sounds like when mine started rubbing after going to wider tires.

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Couple of things. Which wheel bearing that is bad -- if one is bad at all -- can sometimes be hard to identify. So there is the possibility that you replaced the wrong wheel bearing.

A good plan is to with the car in the air supported by factory sanctioned body/chassis lift points give each wheel/tire assembly a check for any play in the vertical and horizontal axes.

Assuming it is not a wheel bearing a possible explanation is it is tire related or wheel related. However, that it takes some time to manifest the noise it could be brake related. What can sometimes happen is the hardware that helps hold the pads in the caliper and let them move in and out but keep them from rattling can fail. While the pad won't fall out it can "flutter" as it makes light contact with the spinning rotor.

If you feel the noise is coming from the front then again with the car in the air as described above remove both front wheels and check the brakes. The odds are high if it is a brake hardware problem you will find one side normal and the other side not normal, with a broken/missing hardware component or a bad pad.
I appreciate your advice man, I told the mechanic all of this when I dropped it off today, as he was as perplexed by this as I was. Hopefully tomorrow it will be straightened out.

·
Registered
2015 Dodge Challenger SRT
614 Posts
Perhaps mount a GoPro under the car to see what's going on.

Have you checked to see if anything has gotten wrapped around the suspension?

Or ... do you have "friends" that are the type to put a zip-tie around your drive shaft?

·
Registered
2,765 Posts
I appreciate your advice man, I told the mechanic all of this when I dropped it off today, as he was as perplexed by this as I was. Hopefully tomorrow it will be straightened out.
Tech needs to check the brake hardware. A failure is rare but it happens.

Also, MiHiHemi offered good advice. I had a car that was making a funny but not very loud noise at speed. Finally I got to a large and mostly empty Walmart parking lot and with a bright flash light laid down next to the car to look at the front wheels/tires for what might be causing the noise. Long story short I noticed the leading edge of the driver side wheel well liner was abraded. When I checked it it was loose and I could without much effort pull it down.

What had happened is the plastic rivets that held the leading edge of the liner to the under side of the car were missing and at speed the air flow caught this leading edge and pushed it down enough it would drag on the pavement. Hence the noise. Some Walmart duct tape fixed the loose wheel well liner.

·
Registered
2015 RT Shaker (STP/A8/FORGED/NAPPA/NO SUNROOF)
613 Posts
Any update? Also, check the strut mount.

·
Registered
2020 Scat Pack, Octane red, A8
131 Posts
Drive shaft? Sound coming from the front? I was about to suggest the slotted rotors catching the edges of the pads. My last Challenger did this very similar but not as loud.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts