Dodge Challenger Forum banner
1 - 20 of 20 Posts

·
Registered
2017 Challenger R/T 392
14 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
Mopar Fam and Fellow Challenger brothers & sisters. I'm hearing a clicking noise on both sides in the rear and slightly in the front when my wheel rotates under load. Before I get into this, let me inform you of the mods I have for the suspension and drivetrain. I have a staggered setup, 20x10.5 +20 on the rears with a 315 and 20x9 +15 with a 275 for the fronts. Have had the wheels for about a year now. The entire driver side suspension is new, this includes axle, knuckle, lower control arm for the spring, hub, and brand new AAD Performance Adjustable arms(installed a little over a month ago). For the passenger side, only the AAD arms are new everything else is from the factory. You may be wondering why one side is newer than the other, but that is a story for another day. I have Eibach lowering springs, Eibach front and rear sway bar, and G-Force Renegade Axles that I installed 6-7 months ago. I will also include that I have a tune from Jay Greene. The only things that I haven't touched yet are the factory differential and factory driveline.

Now that you know about all the setup, let me explain what has been going on since I installed the new AAD full-suspension arms. The arms are the most recent parts that I have installed in the car. When those got installed and went for a test drive and heard and faint click noise that I thought was coming from the front but upon further inspection discovered it was coming from the rear. Everything is tight and torque per AAD specs for each nut & bolt for each arm. Didn't think much of it at the time and just assumed that it was the arms settling. But as I have always been told, assuming really stands for making an ass out of you me, and that's where I made a mistake. Just last night while cruising around the click became clicking and was much louder than before. I will attach some video examples of this below.

I got the car up in the air and spun the front wheels to see if I could hear the clicking. No clicking forwards or backward. The next course of action I took was to check lug nuts. I put the stock wheels on with OEM nuts and rolled the car down the road. Heard the clicking, but a lot quieter. Put a brand new set of lugs on with the aftermarket wheels and the loud clicking was back and more consistent. I checked to see if there were any loose lines, hoses, or wiring that could possibly grab and/or snag that could also be the suspect but everything was good. So I know it will only click under full load and it's not my lugs, wheels, brakes (brand new set from 3 months ago), or arms. My next thought was it could either be studs or something with the driveline. After staying up for hours researching last night. I found that a lot of Mopar owners have issues with the carrier bearing on the driveline coming apart due to the heat of the exhaust and were making a similar noise, more of a hollowing than a click. But the consistency was the same. I haven't had the chance to inspect the driveline due to it being extremely late already and my brain already hurting lol. I talked to a buddy this morning and brought up maybe checking the u-joint on the stock driveline and see if it was worn. Going to be doing that the next time I have free time to get back under there.

It makes more sense in my head for it to be something with the driveline because of the loud clicking in the rear and faint click in the front rather than the axles themselves because of the quality and how newly installed they are.

This is already a long thread, but I wanted to be as detailed as possible so you guys could get the whole picture. If there is anybody that could give some advice on what the prime suspect could be that would be amazing. I have an event down in Vegas that I am going to in May and would like to have my baby down there with me. I think I have included everything, my brain is already starting to hurt again just thinking about it!

·
Premium Member
The Bacon Hauler (‘12 Cop Charger)
11,165 Posts
The clicking appears to be tied to the car's speed but not to wheel RPM, correct? Meaning, its frequency of occurrence increases as the speed of the vehicle increases, but it's not clicking for each revolution of the wheel (or driveline, etc.).

Definitely strange, will be interesting to see where this ends up...

·
Registered
2017 Challenger R/T 392
14 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
The clicking appears to be tied to the car's speed but not to wheel RPM, correct? Meaning, its frequency of occurrence increases as the speed of the vehicle increases, but it's not clicking for each revolution of the wheel (or driveline, etc.).

Definitely strange, will be interesting to see where this ends up...
Correct yes. Any idea of what this could be?

·
Premium Member
11,165 Posts
Correct yes. Any idea of what this could be?
No, unfortunately I'm drawing a blank at the moment.

What about put the car up on 4 jack stands so You can put the transmission in gear and let the wheels turn while you are under it trying to pinpoint where the noise is coming from? Is that something you have the space and tools to try?

·
Registered
2017 Challenger R/T 392
14 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
No, unfortunately I'm drawing a blank at the moment.

What about put the car up on 4 jack stands so You can put the transmission in gear and let the wheels turn while you are under it trying to pinpoint where the noise is coming from? Is that something you have the space and tools to try?
I have tried that before, but it sounds like something is making contact with something and the sound isn't pretty. I thought it was because my axles or diff was hanging and making contact with the subframe and the angle of that with no load I figured that was the reason. But I haven't tried it since.

·
Super Moderator
2016 SXT Plus Blacktop
32,018 Posts
This is NOT when braking, correct?

A Guy

Attachments

Reactions: billschroeder5842

·
Premium Member
11,165 Posts

Reactions: dmendoza310

·
Registered
2017 Challenger R/T 392
14 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·

A Guy
Not when braking correct

·
Premium Member
1,109 Posts

A Guy
Great video. I like this guy. No fooling fix with a nice presentation.

·
Registered
2017 Challenger R/T 392
14 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
So I got it up in the air spun the wheels with the car off and in neutral and I’m hearing that noise towards the bell housing

·
Premium Member
11,165 Posts
So I got it up in the air spun the wheels with the car off and in neutral and I’m hearing that noise towards the bell housing
Is it an M6 or automatic?

·
Premium Member
11,165 Posts
And the plot thickens…

I’m still drawing a blank. At least if it were an M6, there would be all manner of things to check, but with an auto, not so much.

A8 or A5?

·
Premium Member
11,165 Posts
Damnit man! I’m trying to help, but you’re giving me nothing!

If It were an A5, I’d have 2 different tech manuals AND a DVD rebuild video from which to draw diagnosis tips, but for the A8,well, let’s just say it’s another strike-out from me. 😞

·
Registered
2017 Challenger R/T 392
14 Posts
Discussion Starter · #18 ·
Damnit man! I’m trying to help, but you’re giving me nothing!

If It were an A5, I’d have 2 different tech manuals AND a DVD rebuild video from which to draw diagnosis tips, but for the A8,well, let’s just say it’s another strike-out from me. 😞
Well I was thinking torque converter 🫤

·
Premium Member
11,165 Posts
Well I was thinking torque converter 🫤
Yeah, that would be my best guess too. But it’s honestly just a guess, which isn’t worth a whole helluva lot nowadays.

·
Premium Member
11,165 Posts
I’m guessing the car isn’t still up in the air, but if you’re feeling industrious and want to put it back up in the air to recreate the noise, what about getting one of those mechanics stethoscopes you try to pinpoint exactly where on the trans the noise is coming from?

If it’s coming from the body and just being echoed by the bellhousing, that would drive the diag in a different direction than if it’s definitely emanating from within the bell housing.

Reactions: dmendoza310
1 - 20 of 20 Posts