Dodge Challenger Forum banner

1 - 20 of 34 Posts

·
Registered
536 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have a 2010 Challenger RT 6 speed. I have noticed on several different makes when you open the door after the car has sat a while that some sort of sound like a vent is opening or closing. When I opened my door today something was going on cause a loud clicking sound started and it is coming from behind the dashboard. It has done it three more times today. It only does it after the car has sat a bit. Anyone know what this is or what the fix could be?

·
Registered
32 Posts
I asked a fellow driver the same question and he told me it was a vent opening or closing, kinda wierd rolling across the dash

·
Registered
386 Posts
Is the heating/cooling/defrost system working right? Not sure how Dodge does it but I have a Ford that had a stripped gear inside the blend door actuator. It made a clicking sound in the dash. That was my first clue. The second clue was it only blew hot air no matter the temp setting.

·
Registered
536 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
The AC and heat seem to work fine, well accept for the recirculate air button that no longer works but that has been out for a year now. Just went out to lunch and checked it and this time no noises at all and everything works as it should. This morning though it was a different story, it kept happening. I have searched around the internet and no one seems to know the exact cause. I do think it is some sort of vent opening and closing and it sounds like a plastic gear in there that is possibly breaking a few teeth off. Even did the turn off turn on 3 time trick to see if any codes were thrown (I do not have EVIC) and no codes at all.

·
Premium Member
4,364 Posts
I have noticed that in my 13 RT Classic. Sitting in the car with it off... odd.. why would it do that? Seems like that will certainly wear down the battery over time.

·
Registered
23 Posts
clicking in dash of 2010 Challenger

I recentley had the same clicking in my dash , took to dealer, said was recirc vent and would be $850 to fix. Havent had it done yet. looking for info to do it myself and havent been able to find anything yet

·
Registered
536 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
$850 for a vent, thanks Dodge. There has got to be a do it yourself fix for something like that. How does such a thing break in the first place. More info from others would be great. I found the same sort of issue on other forums dealing with older model Chargers but no one on there seem to figure it out from what I could tell.

·
Registered
386 Posts
Back to my Ford again. The actuator was $70, I fixed it in about an hour. The good part was that there was a step by step with pictures of every screw some nice guy posted on a forum somewhere. Hopefully you will find some help like that.

·
Registered
23 Posts
clicking under the dash 2010 Challenger

You want to hear something good? I have 31000 miles on my Challenger and absolutely love it till now. I am a life long Chevy man owning a 1969 Camaro, 2013 pickup and 2011 Impala. When I decided to buy either a new Camaro or Challenger, we decided on the Challenger for several reasons. Roominess, quality of interior, performance about the same, and how quiet it is and smooth on the highway. The dealer I bought it from said it was out of warrany by a couple of months and there was nothing they could do, but that gave me an 800 number to Dodge and they might could help. Well, after about 30 minutes on the phone with them, she said there was nothing they could do. But here is the thing that really made me mad. I change my own oil and filters, rotate tires, etc, so what else is there to service on one?. She told me the dealer had the choice to fixit under warranty, but that since I didnt have them sevice my car that they would do nothing. Also I live 35 miles from my dealer. Needless to say I will never buy a vehicle from them again and it might be my last Dodge as much as I like it

·
Premium Member
4,364 Posts
You want to hear something good? I have 31000 miles on my Challenger and absolutely love it till now. I am a life long Chevy man owning a 1969 Camaro, 2013 pickup and 2011 Impala. When I decided to buy either a new Camaro or Challenger, we decided on the Challenger for several reasons. Roominess, quality of interior, performance about the same, and how quiet it is and smooth on the highway. The dealer I bought it from said it was out of warrany by a couple of months and there was nothing they could do, but that gave me an 800 number to Dodge and they might could help. Well, after about 30 minutes on the phone with them, she said there was nothing they could do. But here is the thing that really made me mad. I change my own oil and filters, rotate tires, etc, so what else is there to service on one?. She told me the dealer had the choice to fixit under warranty, but that since I didnt have them sevice my car that they would do nothing. Also I live 35 miles from my dealer. Needless to say I will never buy a vehicle from them again and it might be my last Dodge as much as I like it
Don't take this the wrong way... not meant to be mean.. but a warranty is a warranty and it covers what it says for the length of time they say....... Things break on anything mechanical.... if you wanted 100% piece of mind I guess you could have bought a lifetime warranty. I bought one because I plan on having this car until I can no longer drive a car.

·
Registered
206 Posts
Back to my Ford again. The actuator was $70, I fixed it in about an hour. The good part was that there was a step by step with pictures of every screw some nice guy posted on a forum somewhere. Hopefully you will find some help like that.
The actuator in my challenger is clicking like crazy but hasn't broken yet so the AC and Heat works fine. But that clicking is reallllyy loud and annoying and even embarrassing when people I don't know well can hear from across the parking lot!

·
Registered
23 Posts
clicking sound from dashboard

You are right about what you said but what what ticked me off was the fact that they could have fixed under warranty and chose not too. Ive had things like this happen a couple times over the years and the dealer I delt with took care of the problem, and I still did my own servicing.

·
Registered
23 Posts
dash removal 2010 Challenger

Has anyone removed the dash on 2010 Challenger? Need to replace recirc vent and have been told even though shop manual says to remove dash that is not necessary. This part is right in the middle of dash right above radio.

·
Registered
216 Posts
Planned Obsolescence is what should piss everyone off

You are right about what you said but what what ticked me off was the fact that they could have fixed under warranty and chose not too. Ive had things like this happen a couple times over the years and the dealer I delt with took care of the problem, and I still did my own servicing.
Why do these crappy vent parts only last a few years? Why are they building super-optimized cars that have no additional tolerance for extreme temperature or use outside limited parameters, and why do we keep buying them? The bottom line is that most companies are building cheap garbage and we keep buying it. If it was real quality, a warranty should be 10years.
Unfortunately, I hate to even bring this up, but there is a car company that does in fact offer a 10 year warranty. :(
Dodge can do better. What will spur them on?

·
Registered
384 Posts
I know this is a old thread but im having this exact problem and its driving me nuts. The car don't even have to be running, it just does it on its own with no rhyme or reason. I am out of warranty so i dont know what to do. The clicking noise is really embarrassing as well. Has anyone else had this problem before?

·
Registered
619 Posts
No, you are not alone. My 2010 R/T makes a click noise when I turn on the heater / air conditioner. With the fan running as well, if I turn the middle knob (cool to heat) from the coldest setting back to the hottest ( turning the dial from one extreme to the other, I get a click out of it. And yes, it's a click sound right behind the drivers side dash.

The control unit (three knobs) was changed out by me a year ago because the fan speed knob unit broke ( the knob closest to the drivers side). But when I installed the new unit, the defrost button on the knob closest to the passenger will blink when the car is first started for about a minute then all started to work. The dealership said the actuator door was "out of range", whatever that means and they would have to remove the dash to change it. All for just $1350.00

I have searched Youtube and everywhere else for a tutorial on how to get to that actuator/ door unit but have found nothing. Sure wish it was a 1970 Challenger with cables that had no plastic actuator crap to break. The only thing that doesn't work is the air conditioning recirculating feature.

·
Registered
384 Posts
Yes Dino you are correct, i just searched and found the same info. It looks like it happens on the Chargers and Rams as well and is a $1200 dollar fix because the damn dash has to be removed. I did read something about its the blended air/heat door sticking and if you keep the climate controls on manual mode and not on Auto, that it shouldn't make the noise as often.

·
Registered
619 Posts
I don't have an "auto" option on my car. Check out another thread on this forum by TonyD
called "temp control inop". Tony has posted 4 pictures showing the two actuators on the drivers side and how to remove the dash panels tom get to them. It appears you don't have to remove the whole dash to get to them. He is going to change them out soon so lets see if it's true that the dash does not have to come out. Bear in mind, there appears to be one actuator behind the glove box. It seems to control a half moon door that sits on top of the heater/blower fan. I believe this is the air recirculation door.

But let's see what Tony comes up with. Check out that thread to see what happens.

Dino

·
Registered
1 Posts
I have a 2012 dodge charger and it's doing the same thing.... I just sit and it starts clicking... Hate it! Cheap cars! So my car is only 3 years old and already doing that.....

1 - 20 of 34 Posts