Dodge Challenger Forum banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
1 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
When I speed up between 25-45 mph my challenger makes almost like a tapping/ clicking sound. This sound when driving the car sounds like it’s coming from the front passenger side but when you are passenger it sounds like it’s coming from underneath the car near the center console. I’m thinking it could either be a wheel bearing or a u joint anyone else have a similar issue on their challenger?

·
Premium Member
The Pork Wagon (‘14 Cop Charger)
6,555 Posts
I’ve had both go bad, and neither sound like clicking.

Record the sound, upload it to YouTube or somewhere on the cloud, and paste in a link. That’s the only way we can get beyond blind guessing.

·
Registered
27 Posts
Easiest way to check bearings and ball joints is to jack the car up at the front. Then try turning the wheel left to right by holding the tire. If there is play, it's likely the wheel bearing. Also reach behind the wheel and feel for play around any ball joints, try moving things like tie rods and sway bars, they shouldn't move. It will be easier to do this second part with the front wheels off if don't have a lift.

Sent from my SM-G950U using Tapatalk

·
Premium Member
1,811 Posts
Does it sound like a solenoid clicking away under part throttle at that speed. If so, I've heard a few make that noise

·
Registered
21 Posts
Does it sound like a solenoid clicking away under part throttle at that speed. If so, I've heard a few make that noise
My 2011 RT 5.7 A5 started making some chattering noises when accelerating from about 40mph with light throttle pressure. Thats the only time I noticed it. Originally there were no codes or CEL. Then, one day I entered the freeway 'quickly' and the something happened, the engine seemed to lose powewr but kept running. Still no CEL. A few days later, the CEL started blinking and then went solid. Engine running roughly. Autozone ODB tester showedP03402 and P3442. To the dealer, collapsed lifters on two cylinders (#1 and 6). About $5k later, the car is running great. Replaced cam and all the lifters and a few other pieces. A comment in the notes mentioned improper oil. Prior to this all happening (maybe 3 weeks), I had a "Mobil1" oil change at a car wash, where I had done one before. I'm not sure I trust the car wash oil change. Probably can't prove if the oil was incorrect, but I suspect they used some other cheap oil.

Lesson learned: From now on I'll let the dealer change the oil. It seems that everyone on this forum uses full synthetic oils, and I have/had been also. My 2011 has MDS with variable valve timing.

·
Registered
2,493 Posts
My 2011 RT 5.7 A5 started making some chattering noises when accelerating from about 40mph with light throttle pressure. Thats the only time I noticed it. Originally there were no codes or CEL. Then, one day I entered the freeway 'quickly' and the something happened, the engine seemed to lose powewr but kept running. Still no CEL. A few days later, the CEL started blinking and then went solid. Engine running roughly. Autozone ODB tester showedP03402 and P3442. To the dealer, collapsed lifters on two cylinders (#1 and 6). About $5k later, the car is running great. Replaced cam and all the lifters and a few other pieces. A comment in the notes mentioned improper oil. Prior to this all happening (maybe 3 weeks), I had a "Mobil1" oil change at a car wash, where I had done one before. I'm not sure I trust the car wash oil change. Probably can't prove if the oil was incorrect, but I suspect they used some other cheap oil.

Lesson learned: From now on I'll let the dealer change the oil. It seems that everyone on this forum uses full synthetic oils, and I have/had been also. My 2001 has MDS with variable valve timing.
With another brand of car when a car was brought in for a suspected internal engine problem its was SOP for the tech to draw an oil sample and send it out for analysis. The factory had an arrangement with a lab so the process was pretty straight forward.

Too late for you but others might want to file this in the back of their head should something similar arise.

·
Registered
2015 RT Shaker (STP/A8/FORGED/NAPPA/NO SUNROOF)
453 Posts
It may be the normal Hemi tick sound and you are just not used to it.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts