Dodge Challenger Forum banner
  • Hey everyone! Enter your ride HERE to be a part of September's Ride of the Month Challenge!
1 - 20 of 43 Posts

·
Registered
38 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
My 2010 R/T was purchased 2 weeks ago with about 69k miles on her. When I'm coasting from about 40 to 20 it makes a clicking noise almost like putting a playing card in your bicycle spokes and stop exactly at 20mph. The dealership say it's part of my mds system but I don't think it is.

·
Registered
511 Posts
My 2010 R/T was purchased 2 weeks ago with about 69k miles on her. When I'm coasting from about 40 to 20 it makes a clicking noise almost like putting a playing card in your bicycle spokes and stop exactly at 20mph. The dealership say it's part of my mds system but I don't think it is.

Try using the auto stick to put it in "manual" mode the next time you hear it. If it stops immediately then it could be MDS. I doubt it though...

Sent from AutoGuide.com Free App

·
Registered
38 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
I tried shifting manually and it stopped just like you said. Is that a good thing or is it not supposed to click like that?

·
Registered
511 Posts
I tried shifting manually and it stopped just like you said. Is that a good thing or is it not supposed to click like that?
My mds never made that clicking noise, just an annoying drone. Personally I drove in manual mode to stay out of mds. I have a diablosport intune so I just turned it off through there.

If you want to keep using mds then I suggest you ask a different dealer about the sound.

P.S. make sure your car had the timing chain guide replaced for the recall!

Reactions: 19johned53

·
Registered
38 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
I already had an appointment at the dealership tomorrow so ill check on the timing chain tomorrow. Thank you! You have been a lot of help!

·
Registered
7,683 Posts
The last time I heard the description "putting a playing card in your bicycle spokes" sound and mds used together, it was not a good sign, and no that is not a normal sound. That was the sound they described in the final days before the TC guide broke, and the cylinder heads became toast (after the TC flapped around w/o a guide and then snapped). Yes, you should get that checked out. Has your car already been in for the TC recall service? If the dealer sold you the car like that (fully knowing a TC service was in order), you should raise hell, too.

Reactions: 19johned53

·
Registered
38 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
I'm beginning to think that's what happened. I don't remember seeing anything in the paperwork about a recall or a timing change being fixed. I hope it makes it to the dealership tomorrow. If that's the case I'll be calling the guy who sold me the car. I'm glad you guys said something about the recall. This is the first vehicle newer than a 98 that I have ever owned.

·
Registered
511 Posts
I'm beginning to think that's what happened. I don't remember seeing anything in the paperwork about a recall or a timing change being fixed. I hope it makes it to the dealership tomorrow. If that's the case I'll be calling the guy who sold me the car. I'm glad you guys said something about the recall. This is the first vehicle newer than a 98 that I have ever owned.
Drive by manually shifting it until you get to the dealership!

·
Registered
'16 A8 Scat Pack
10,898 Posts
Yes, be carefull and confirm ASAP anything about the TC P01 fix on your car. That "clicking" can turn into a "bang" quickly.

Not good, and I wouldn't even drive it in autostick. Keep us posted.

·
Registered
'16 A8 Scat Pack
10,898 Posts
Any dealership will be able to enter your VIN and see the status of a P01. It will show if the P01 has been performed or not.

Not trying to get you shook up about this, but as already stated in above posts, "that" sound comes before the "bang". You don't want that headache with your new ride.

·
Registered
38 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
Well I called them just a bit ago and have them my VIN. The guy said that my car isn't showing as one of the ones that had the recall. If so then why is it making the noise that the cars that recalls were making before the inevitable bang?

·
Registered
'16 A8 Scat Pack
10,898 Posts
If you have a 2010 A5 Hemi Challenger, it IS under the P01 campaign.

It appears that your dealer, or the people that you're talking to, don't know what the heck is going on. I would highly suggest that you call another dealer.

Double check your VIN, have a dealer check to see if the P01 has been performed or not on your VIN.

It's a very good chance that the noise is the TC banging around under the cover, because the tensioner shoe has lost tension (broke)

If a dealer can't/won't tell you, call Customer Care at Chrysler.

·
Registered
38 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 ·
I called the dealer and they checked my vin saying that my car was not one that had the recall problem, I also tried the link Kenny posted and it too said my car was not one with the recall? could they have had the problem on other cars that they didn't include in the recall list? and how do I find out exactly which model hemi challenger I have?

·
Registered
511 Posts
I called the dealer and they checked my vin saying that my car was not one that had the recall problem, I also tried the link Kenny posted and it too said my car was not one with the recall? could they have had the problem on other cars that they didn't include in the recall list? and how do I find out exactly which model hemi challenger I have?
If you have a 2010 A5 RT then you 100% are part of the recall.

1 - 20 of 43 Posts